December Employment Gain Caps Best Year for U.S. Since 1999

RunInRed

Remember those warnings of a disastrous “Obama economy” ... yeah, those partisans look increasingly ridiculous with each passing day ...

Employment rose more than forecast in December and the jobless rate declined to 5.6 percent, wrapping up the best year for the labor market since 1999 and adding to evidence the U.S. is a standout in the global economy.

The addition of 252,000 jobs followed a 353,000 rise the prior month that was more than previously estimated, a Labor Department report showed today in Washington. The jobless rate dropped to the lowest level since June 2008.

An additional 2.95 million Americans found work in 2014, the most in 15 years and a sign companies are optimistic U.S. demand will persist even as overseas markets struggle.

“We have continued, solid job growth,” said Michael Feroli, chief U.S. economist at JPMorgan Chase & Co. in New York, who projected a 240,000 gain. “It shows really solid momentum in U.S. growth. There are not a lot of places in the world where we see that these days."

Job growth last month was highlighted by the biggest gain in construction employment in almost a year. Factories, health care providers and business services also kept adding workers in December.

http://www.bloomberg...since-1999.html

Remember those warnings of a disastrous “Obama economy” ... yeah, those partisans look increasingly ridiculous with each passing day ...

Employment rose more than forecast in December and the jobless rate declined to 5.6 percent, wrapping up the best year for the labor market since 1999 and adding to evidence the U.S. is a standout in the global economy.

The addition of 252,000 jobs followed a 353,000 rise the prior month that was more than previously estimated, a Labor Department report showed today in Washington. The jobless rate dropped to the lowest level since June 2008.

An additional 2.95 million Americans found work in 2014, the most in 15 years and a sign companies are optimistic U.S. demand will persist even as overseas markets struggle.

“We have continued, solid job growth,” said Michael Feroli, chief U.S. economist at JPMorgan Chase & Co. in New York, who projected a 240,000 gain. “It shows really solid momentum in U.S. growth. There are not a lot of places in the world where we see that these days."

Job growth last month was highlighted by the biggest gain in construction employment in almost a year. Factories, health care providers and business services also kept adding workers in December.

http://www.bloomberg...since-1999.html

Seasonal. ;)

Exactly.

“You’ve hired a lot of people in the last three or four months, and to the extent that you’re bringing in a lot of new talent, this new talent is not getting paid as the more experienced talent,” said John Silvia, chief economist at Wells Fargo Securities LLC in Charlotte, North Carolina. “It’s probably only temporary. I would suspect that at the beginning of this year, as we go forward, those wages will pick up.”

Nevertheless, glad there's something for the downers to hang their pessimistic hats on.

It's Obama's fault. ;)

Partly. He was in Congress and did nothing....just a few speeches, no bills, and no votes.

Healthcare adding jobs. Good for me. Wonder that they define business services as? If they mean jobs such as in accounting or marketing, or if they consider retail and server type jobs as business service also?

I'm actually just waiting for this thread to go Kevin Bacon AUfamily style though truthfully..... ie racism. It all leads back to racism.

I need to work on adding question marks when I post on message boards lol.

"I'm actually just waiting for this thread to go Kevin Bacon AUfamily style though truthfully..... ie racism. It all leads back to racism"

Isn't that why you come to this forum.....to troll racism? LOLjk

"I'm actually just waiting for this thread to go Kevin Bacon AUfamily style though truthfully..... ie racism. It all leads back to racism"

Isn't that why you come to this forum.....to troll racism? LOLjk

That is racist man ;D .

You only said that cause your angry that he stared in one of the most successful dance movies ever.............and that it revolved around a white dude bringing moves to a white town. One of those.. Kevin Bacon stole our idea and culture people! Probably start complaining about casting a white guy like Woody Harrelson as Billy Hoyle in White Men Can't Jump. Woodies character defiantly should have not been played by a white guy!!

Just clicked on this so I could read why this is actually bad news. ;)

I can't wait to read what you deduced! ;)

Archived