Micheal Barrow Candidate to Join Staff at AU

autigeremt

3357656.jpg
Only one guy noticed the photographer?
We need an LB coach with that kind of awareness! Also, is it just me, or does it look like Garner just said something about Muschamp's Mama? :-)
My response is going to make folks mad, but Garner should be on his knees thanking the PTB that Muschamp did not have enough pull to replace him on the D staff. Garner is on the clock. Our DL needs to show a lot of improvement next year. We have more than one recruiter on staff that, today, is every bit as good as RG (based on his level of effort in this regard the last few years). So, RG needs to step WAY up as an on the field coach. I really hope he proves me wrong.wde
Be careful. He's an Auburn man, so that automatically qualifies him for the job no matter what. Anything else is heresy. Forget that our defensive line has been atrocious.
Besides the fact that Stat has pointed out the interior DL production was actually slightly higher this year vs the previous year and that the problems with DE were the biggest issues, that's not enough. Those were issues we knew we had going in. Despite that you two both don't want RG as DL coach.Just for gits and shiggles here are stats from just 4 games in Tracy Rockers last season as DL coach in 2011. Alabama 213 yards rushing, 1 sack, Georgia 304 yard rushing, 2 sacks, MSU 333 yards rushing, 1 sack, Utah State 227 yards rushing, 1 sack. Overall we got 22 sacks that year vs 21 this year. We gave up 189 yards per game rushing in 2011 in 12 games. In 2014 in 13 games we gave up 168 yards per game. So tell me again how RG is a terrible DL coach. You have your mind made up based on nothing but emotion and the performance overall of the defense and blame it all on him.

I'm jumping into the conversation and it might upset some people. Everyone loves Rocker and he knows how to coach the dline, but I've heard from some inside sources that Rocker was not a team player with Chiz. He liked to do his own thing. This caused alot of problems internally and one of the reasons why he left.

I'm glad we have Garner. There's reasons why Will wanted him on his staff.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard those things about TR before. I don't know whether they are true or not. WM was not forced to keep RG by anyone and he didn't do it out of sympathy or because he was an Auburn man. He believes RG will perform well and have a productive DL. It was based on that and nothing more. He knows a hell of a lot more about defensive football than any of the experts on here do.

I've heard those things about TR before. I don't know whether they are true or not. WM was not forced to keep RG by anyone and he didn't do it out of sympathy or because he was an Auburn man. He believes RG will perform well and have a productive DL. It was based on that and nothing more. He knows a hell of a lot more about defensive football than any of the experts on here do.

preach it brother.

Amen to that

3357656.jpg
We need an LB coach with that kind of awareness! Also, is it just me, or does it look like Garner just said something about Muschamp's Mama? :-)
My response is going to make folks mad, but Garner should be on his knees thanking the PTB that Muschamp did not have enough pull to replace him on the D staff. Garner is on the clock. Our DL needs to show a lot of improvement next year. We have more than one recruiter on staff that, today, is every bit as good as RG (based on his level of effort in this regard the last few years). So, RG needs to step WAY up as an on the field coach. I really hope he proves me wrong.wde
Be careful. He's an Auburn man, so that automatically qualifies him for the job no matter what. Anything else is heresy. Forget that our defensive line has been atrocious.
Besides the fact that Stat has pointed out the interior DL production was actually slightly higher this year vs the previous year and that the problems with DE were the biggest issues, that's not enough. Those were issues we knew we had going in. Despite that you two both don't want RG as DL coach.Just for gits and shiggles here are stats from just 4 games in Tracy Rockers last season as DL coach in 2011. Alabama 213 yards rushing, 1 sack, Georgia 304 yard rushing, 2 sacks, MSU 333 yards rushing, 1 sack, Utah State 227 yards rushing, 1 sack. Overall we got 22 sacks that year vs 21 this year. We gave up 189 yards per game rushing in 2011 in 12 games. In 2014 in 13 games we gave up 168 yards per game. So tell me again how RG is a terrible DL coach. You have your mind made up based on nothing but emotion and the performance overall of the defense and blame it all on him.

I'm jumping into the conversation and it might upset some people. Everyone loves Rocker and he knows how to coach the dline, but I've heard from some inside sources that Rocker was not a team player with Chiz. He liked to do his own thing. This caused alot of problems internally and one of the reasons why he left.

Just stop talking. You know that there are people on here who know better than CGM and CWM who they should have on their staff. Might as well stop wasting your breath. *sarcasm font*

3357656.jpg

Just stop talking. You know that there are people on here who know better than CGM and CWM who they should have on their staff. Might as well stop wasting your breath. *sarcasm font*

Did they stay at a holiday inn express last night?

Any thoughts on when a new coach will be named?

If it's going to be Barrow, I'd expect it to happen in the next few days. Otherwise I don't know.

Maybe there are some better candidates out there but he sounds like the right type of guy and Auburn is a good place to raise a family and take care of his mom if that is an issue.

Hoping Barrow comes on board. He's been out of recruiting for a couple of years, but he knows the south Florida territory. And from what I hear, the man can coach.

3357656.jpg

I'm glad that Garner is still on the staff. This is a very premature discussion. It takes TIME to recruit and develop a defensive line. The future will tell the story. I think Coach Garner will turn out to be a treasure.

First, the following is strictly my SWAG. I say SWAG instead of WAG because while I have never hired a Coach before, I have hired many big six digit salaried people.

If it's going to be Barrow, the picture that was posted looked like the meeting to make sure he was a good "fit", that everybody could get along, work together, have simular personal values, defensive styles, etc. Barrow would still need to think about it and discuss it with his famialy. I would expect the fastest things could move would be a positive responce of interest from MB on Monday and an agreement in principle to terms of compensation by Wed.

First, the following is strictly my SWAG. I say SWAG instead of WAG because while I have never hired a Coach before, I have hired many big six digit salaried people.

If it's going to be Barrow, the picture that was posted looked like the meeting to make sure he was a good "fit", that everybody could get along, work together, have simular personal values, defensive styles, etc. Barrow would still need to think about it and discuss it with his famialy. I would expect the fastest things could move would be a positive responce of interest from MB on Monday and an agreement in principle to terms of compensation by Wed.

^^^THIS

3357656.jpg

As with most posters who backed up this defense as "improved", you're ignoring the first half vs second half. Second half of this year, Alabama ran it down our throats once they were done throwing TDs to Cooper, Georgia just obliterated us, Wisconsin redefined obliteration running the ball vs Auburn and there's other moments along the way like Miss St running at will with Prescott, Bo Wallace having like 70 yards running, South Carolina using the same pitch every 3rd and 4th down for 10 yards, and TAMU doing the same HB draw and toss for a first down. Overall, this running game may have looked improved but in actuality...nah

3357656.jpg

As with most posters who backed up this defense as "improved", you're ignoring the first half vs second half. Second half of this year, Alabama ran it down our throats once they were done throwing TDs to Cooper, Georgia just obliterated us, Wisconsin redefined obliteration running the ball vs Auburn and there's other moments along the way like Miss St running at will with Prescott, Bo Wallace having like 70 yards running, South Carolina using the same pitch every 3rd and 4th down for 10 yards, and TAMU doing the same HB draw and toss for a first down. Overall, this running game may have looked improved but in actuality...nah

Yeah and what happened to throw everything out of kilter? The JW suspension just killed what we had started. Lambert going down didn't help. Detractors want to just ignore all of that. EVERYTHING played a role.

Barrow is a Miami legend. I would love to get this guy. At the same time, I know his heart is in Miami. Along that same line, I really wish that Takeo Spikes would go out and get coaching experience. If he can prove that he can coach, I would love to bring Takeo home.

Has Spikes ever indicated he wanted to get in to coaching?

Not really. He hasn't attempted to get into it so far.

posters here can't grasp this.

Right. I'm not getting the Spikes infatuation shown on this board.

He's a former Auburn player. Was a great NFL player, full of fire and all of that. That's all the qualifications you need.

god I hope you're joking

Of course I was joking. That's essentially the argument used by some for hiring him.

I hate to break up y'alls sarcasm party but let me set the record straight. Spikes did in fact express interest when asked about it, not once but twice. As far as the "experience" factor, Spikes has 1 less year than Barrow did when he was hired at Miami after coaching only 1 year in high school. That is a clear demonstration that experience alone is not the end all and be all, qualifier or disqualifier. Other factors can be just as, if not more important, which is what others in the thread were pointing out.

So thank goodness Miami gave Barrow a chance after his 1 year as a HS coach. What the two did have in common in the beginning is that they were both the same type of player in college and the NFL, as well as being impressive individuals on a personal level. Now of course Barrow is Takeo with more coaching experience, so it's the best of both worlds. But as is the case with Barrow in the beginning, that doesn't mean that Takeo wouldn't be able to handle it or be a very good LB coach too.

Barrow is a Miami legend. I would love to get this guy. At the same time, I know his heart is in Miami. Along that same line, I really wish that Takeo Spikes would go out and get coaching experience. If he can prove that he can coach, I would love to bring Takeo home.

He's a former Auburn player. Was a great NFL player, full of fire and all of that. That's all the qualifications you need.

god I hope you're joking

Of course I was joking. That's essentially the argument used by some for hiring him.

I hate to break up y'alls sarcasm party but let me set the record straight. Spikes did in fact express interest when asked about it, not once but twice. As far as the "experience" factor, Spikes has 1 less year than Barrow did when he was hired at Miami after coaching only 1 year in high school, clearly demonstrating that experience alone is not the end all and be all qualifier or disqualifier.

Other factors can be just as, if not more, important. So thank goodness Miami gave Barrow a chance after his 1 year as a HS coach. What the two did have in common in the beginning is that they were both the same type of player in college and the NFL, as well as being impressive individuals on a personal level. Barrows is now Takeo with more coaching experience so it's the best of both worlds. But as in the Barrow case, that doesnt mean that Takeo wouldn't be able to handle it or be a good one too.

Maybe so but as I stated before, we don't know that and that is a chance Auburn cannot afford to take right now. This isn't a team at or close to the top of the heap for several years running. This is a team coming off two straight years of really bad defense. This is a crucial juncture for this program and Gus in particular. Furthermore Barrow was not brought in as part of a wholesale coaching staff change. We hire him and he can't do it then where are we? A wrong hire here could cost Will and Gus dearly. It's long past time to get off the idea we must go grab every former Auburn player and make them a coach.

I could care less if he's an Auburn man or not. All I want is a man who's a great coach and a great recruiter. Heck, I wouldn't care if he's a bammer grad. Don't forget that bammer hired JW from our staff a few short years ago. BTW, I think that same guy is now the DC at Louisiana-Lafayette.

I could care less if he's an Auburn man or not. All I want is a man who's a great coach and a great recruiter. Heck, I wouldn't care if he's a bammer grad.

Your best post to date

I could care less if he's an Auburn man or not. All I want is a man who's a great coach and a great recruiter. Heck, I wouldn't care if he's a bammer grad.

Your best post to date

Are we in the Twilight Zone?

god I hope you're joking

I hate to break up y'alls sarcasm party but let me set the record straight. Spikes did in fact express interest when asked about it, not once but twice. As far as the "experience" factor, Spikes has 1 less year than Barrow did when he was hired at Miami after coaching only 1 year in high school. That is a clear demonstration that experience alone is not the end all and be all, qualifier or disqualifier. Other factors can be just as, if not more important, which is what others in the thread were pointing out.

So thank goodness Miami gave Barrow a chance after his 1 year as a HS coach. What the two did have in common in the beginning is that they were both the same type of player in college and the NFL, as well as being impressive individuals on a personal level. Now of course Barrow is Takeo with more coaching experience, so it's the best of both worlds. But as is the case with Barrow in the beginning, that doesn't mean that Takeo wouldn't be able to handle it or be a very good LB coach too.

Maybe so but as I stated before, we don't know that and that is a chance Auburn cannot afford to take right now. This isn't a team at or close to the top of the heap for several years running. This is a team coming off two straight years of really bad defense. This is a crucial juncture for this program and Gus in particular. Furthermore Barrow was not brought in as part of a wholesale coaching staff change. We hire him and he can't do it then where are we? A wrong hire here could cost Will and Gus dearly. It's long past time to get off the idea we must go grab every former Auburn player and make them a coach.

Of course as in any situation there will always be things that aren't identical and other factors to consider. But those were not the factors I was addressing, of him expressing interest, or on experience. On the issues you just raised, I would agree with some of what you are saying right there. As I said though with Barrows, if we can sign him, we are probably getting the best of both worlds.

Your best post to date

I agree

Archived