Look for run-defense to be Muschamp's #1 priority

StatTiger

From 1992-2008 the Auburn defense held their opponent to 22.0% below the opponent's rushing average.

From 2009-2014 the Auburn defense held their opponent to 7.6% below the opponent's rushing average.

From 1992-2008 Auburn's opponent was able to rush for 200+ yards in 8.7% of the games played or 1 every 11.4 games.

From 2009-2014 Auburn's opponent was able to rush for 200+ yards in 34.2% of the games played or 1 every 2.9 games.

The opponents faced from 1992-2008, averaged 156.3 yards rushing per game.

The opponents faced from 2009-2014 averaged 176.7 yards rushing per game.

It all begins up front with the defensive line and the ability to limit the opponent's running game. Once the opponent establishes the run, it opens up their entire offense, which hinders the pass-defense.

From 1992-2014:

Opponents held to under 100-yards rushing had a pass-rating of 111.2 and AU won .917 of their games.

Opponents held to 100-139-yards rushing had a pass-rating of 115.7 and AU won .696 of their games.

Opponents held to 140-199-yards rushing had a pass-rating of 118.5 and AU won .560 of their games.

Opponents that rushed for 200-yards or more had a pass-rating of 136.7 and AU won .333 of their games.

During the Muschamp era at DC, the Auburn defense held their opponent to 19.3% below their rushing average. During 26 games Auburn allowed 124.4 YPG and only 2 opponents rushed for more than 200-yards.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, but....the problem I saw for the last two years was the confusion between the positions responsibilities. Almost as if the units were not coached in sync. From past experience I expect CWM to tie it up and have the coaches and players working in unison.

As the numbers show the front seven controlling the run is key to success, IMO that success will be only be found if all are working with the same understanding of the play called.

Agreed, but....the problem I saw for the last two years was the confusion between the positions responsibilities. Almost as if the units were not coached in sync. From past experience I expect CWM to tie it up and have the coaches and players working in unison.

As the numbers show the front seven controlling the run is key to success, IMO that success will be only be found if all are working with the same understanding of the play called.

A real problem in the defensive backfield where on many long pass completions the DBs were looking at each other with a look that said.."I thought you had him"... Just solving that problem could improve the defense quite a bit.

A real problem in the defensive backfield where on many long pass completions the DBs were looking at each other with a look that said.."I thought you had him"... Just solving that problem could improve the defense quite a bit.

When you run around back there for 5 seconds or more plenty goes wrong. Answer? Pass rush!

Last year 32 sacks and 13 picks. This year it was only 20 sacks but 22 picks. I can only image what the pick total would have been with a 35-40 sack season.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's usually more of a problem in zone defense, which we know we didn't play hardly any. I'm no X and O's guru, but why do our players have such trouble with man coverage?

When you run around back there for 5 seconds or more plenty goes wrong. Answer? Pass rush!

Sorry, but Cooper was by our guys in about 2 seconds ...3 at most....as were half a dozen opposing receivers on long passes during the season. Hoping that's a thing of the past.

Sorry, but Cooper was by our guys in about 2 seconds ...3 at most....as were half a dozen opposing receivers on long passes during the season. Hoping that's a thing of the past.

Its hard to get even decent, much less good or great DB play with a converted RB at safety and an converted WR at CB playing such significant snaps.

Not making excuses for them, just pointing out the simple truth.

The spread offenses with QB read Option puts a lot of pressure on multiple positions. DE and DT who to take on possible run wrong choice OT blocks the linebacker. If you break down early to stop the run gives QB more time. LB is it a running play so I need to fill the hole darn he just passed to TE in my area when I filled the hole. DB's in man covering receivers but also needing to see if it is a run. Stay with receiver and QB runs big gain as your back was turned. Turn head to see if QB ran and Receiver makes a move and you are beat.

I know I am being a little simplistic here but if you look at Offensive numbers very few teams do more than slow down todays offenses when you add that Ref's pretty much allow holding on every play by O-Line it is tough being a D Player now. Lately it seems like good D stop other Teams great O's more than other Teams D stops their great O.

Its hard to get even decent, much less good or great DB play with a converted RB at safety and an converted WR at CB playing such significant snaps.

The converted RB was one of our better DB's this year and actually looked pretty good all year.

The converted RB was one of our better DB's this year and actually looked pretty good all year.

that is very telling.

that is very telling.

Rudy Ford was mentioned both on AU talk radio and by some TV network announcers as a guy with real NFL talent/potential at the Safety spot. I believe he also led the team in tackles. What's with the hate?

that is very telling.

Rudy Ford was mentioned both on AU talk radio and by some TV network announcers as a guy with real NFL talent/potential at the Safety spot. I believe he also led the team in tackles. What's with the hate?

no hate. It is telling that a guy that was just converted is probably the best player in the secondary. He looks like a hell of a talent but even with the talent he shouldn't have been that much better than guys that had been there for two or three years based simply on experience.

Back to the original post. CRG is on the clock.

wde

1992-2008 Auburn faced 28 teams that averaged at least 200-yards rushing for the season. They held them 26% below their rushing average, with only 25% rushing for over 200-yards.

2009-2014 Auburn faced 22 teams that averaged at least 200-yards rushing for the season. AU held them to only 11% below their rushing average, with 59% rushing for over 200-yards.

wde

1992-2008 Auburn faced 28 teams that averaged at least 200-yards rushing for the season. They held them 26% below their rushing average, with only 25% rushing for over 200-yards.

2009-2014 Auburn faced 22 teams that averaged at least 200-yards rushing for the season. AU held them to only 11% below their rushing average, with 59% rushing for over 200-yards.

You are the man Stat. Since I threw roses in your direction Stat, here comes a hard question or two..... Do you think we should have new DL coach to go along with the completely revamped D staff? Is RG getting a pass for being JJ's bud and an "Auburn man"?

wde

that is very telling.

Rudy Ford is a very good player in his position. I see him becoming an all SEC player before his time is up at Auburn.

wde

You are the man Stat. Since I threw roses in your direction Stat, here comes a hard question or two..... Do you think we should have new DL coach to go along with the completely revamped D staff? Is RG getting a pass for being JJ's bud and an "Auburn man"?

wde

See dp4au post regarding cohesiveness among the three units - dline, lb, and secondary. They were not a full functioning unit - RG's pedigree goes without saying and he is a proven legit dline coach. Not sure he has ever been fired for his "coaching". Personally I do not think his philosophy and EJ's never really meshed. As for an Auburn man, this is Gus's ship not JJ's if RG was a true liability he would have been cut by now regardless of his AU roots...

wde

wde

See dp4au post regarding cohesiveness among the three units - dline, lb, and secondary. They were not a full functioning unit - RG's pedigree goes without saying and he is a proven legit dline coach. Not sure he has ever been fired for his "coaching". Personally I do not think his philosophy and EJ's never really meshed. As for an Auburn man, this is Gus's ship not JJ's if RG was a true liability he would have been cut by now regardless of his AU roots...

Your opinion is duly noted. I will just say this about RG's pedigree as a DL coach....What makes him a legit (does legit mean good) DL coach? Richt kept him on staff for more than a decade, but does that mean he is a good DL coach or was he a good recruiter? Regarding the JJ thing, Gus works for JJ not the other way around.

RG remains on the staff as DL coach no matter what I think. That is why I posted (based on Stat's post) that RG is on the the clock. If RG had not been "RG the AU man", he would have been let go or at least reassigned. Rocker is a far better DL coach as is Lawing from UF. RG made his money by being a recruiter. With the addition of TRob and DCraig (and possibly Micheal Barrow), we have the recruiting aspect covered. IMO (and of course it is not a popular one, but I don't care), I think RG is just mailing it in right now. I wanted RG to remain on staff but as TE coach. He can be an asset if he accepts what he does best (being a recruiter).

If our DL plays lights out next year I will have no problem posting on this board (and other boards) that CRG did a good job in the terms of on the field coaching. I want CRG to be a GREAT DL coach.

wde

Gus has full control over the staff. He wants RG to remain. Whatever the reason is, it is his decision along with WM. If WM wanted someone else RG would be gone or moved. JJ is not making that call.

Gus has full control over the staff. He wants RG to remain. Whatever the reason is, it is his decision along with WM. If WM wanted someone else RG would be gone or moved. JJ is not making that call.

OK, but CRG is on the clock. I find it curious that our entire D staff has been blown out except one. Heck, the bowl game by itself, should be a reason to change the DL coach knowing that all D coaches were supposedly auditioning to keep their job.

wde

OK, but CRG is on the clock. I find it curious that our entire D staff has been blown out except one. Heck, the bowl game by itself, should be a reason to change the DL coach knowing that all D coaches were supposedly auditioning to keep their job.

wde

Maybe they think RG can coach and can get the job done - so did Richt cause he never let him go, neither did Grantham when he came aboard. The hay was in the barn for the bowl game, there was not going to be a drastic defensive turnaround that quick and the staff decisions were probably made before the game even toon place. WM himself stated he reviewed hours of AU tape ..if he felt there were issues with the dline coaching or if an upgrade was needed RG would have gotten his walking papers along with Smith and Harbison

I ment no hate towards Rudy. I was just pointing out our glaring lack of depth/talent at the DB positions, that 2 offensive converts not only played, but played SIGNIFICANT snaps.

wde

Maybe they think RG can coach and can get the job done - so did Richt cause he never let him go, neither did Grantham when he came aboard. The hay was in the barn for the bowl game, there was not going to be a drastic defensive turnaround that quick and the staff decisions were probably made before the game even toon place. WM himself stated he reviewed hours of AU tape ..if he felt there were issues with the dline coaching or if an upgrade was needed RG would have gotten his walking papers along with Smith and Harbison

That is the easy way to look at it for sure. Let's see what happens during and after the 2015 season if Muschamp is still the DC. Put it this way, if CRG remains on the D staff after next season (if Muschamp is the the DC for the 2016 season) then CRG will have truly earned it.

wde

Archived