Look for run-defense to be Muschamp's #1 priority

StatTiger

I ment no hate towards Rudy. I was just pointing out our glaring lack of depth/talent at the DB positions, that 2 offensive converts not only played, but played SIGNIFICANT snaps.

Both of those players were also recruited as DBs though too by other schools. So it's not like they hadn't been seen as more than capable of playing those positions in the past. Ford was recruited relentlessly by Saban to come play DB.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus has full control over the staff. He wants RG to remain. Whatever the reason is, it is his decision along with WM. If WM wanted someone else RG would be gone or moved. JJ is not making that call.

OK, but CRG is on the clock. I find it curious that our entire D staff has been blown out except one. Heck, the bowl game by itself, should be a reason to change the DL coach knowing that all D coaches were supposedly auditioning to keep their job.

wde

Maybe they think RG can coach and can get the job done - so did Richt cause he never let him go, neither did Grantham when he came aboard. The hay was in the barn for the bowl game, there was not going to be a drastic defensive turnaround that quick and the staff decisions were probably made before the game even toon place. WM himself stated he reviewed hours of AU tape ..if he felt there were issues with the dline coaching or if an upgrade was needed RG would have gotten his walking papers along with Smith and Harbison

That is the easy way to look at it for sure. Let's see what happens during and after the 2015 season if Muschamp is still the DC. Put it this way, if CRG remains on the D staff after next season (if Muschamp is the the DC for the 2016 season) then CRG will have truly earned it.

wde

Bingo::::

I ment no hate towards Rudy. I was just pointing out our glaring lack of depth/talent at the DB positions, that 2 offensive converts not only played, but played SIGNIFICANT snaps.

Both of those players were also recruited as DBs though too by other schools. So it's not like they hadn't been seen as more than capable of playing those positions in the past. Ford was recruited relentlessly by Saban to come play DB.

That's cool. In Ford's case, at least, I think he just is talented enough that he could come in and play as 'effectively' a redshirt freshman type player. I think Reed had good physical ability, as well. I wish he had made the switch earlier in his career.

I think the current staff had to take a couple of juco guys to fill out the depth at safety, and - so far, at least - they haven't quite performed to the level we would like. That and our most consistent senior leader (Whitehead) uncharacteristically getting into trouble definitely did not help. If Ford and Matthews both turn out the way people have been talking them up, it sounds like we'll be doing very well next year.

On CRG, we're talking about a coach with decades of success under his belt, who helped us to a shot at a NC last year. Both Malzahn and Muschamp apparently feel good about him, or he would not have been retained. I, for one, don't think I'm in a better position to evaluate his coaching then they are. Plenty of teams in the SEC wished they had a better pass rush this season; many of them probably also wished they had a d-line coach of CRG's caliber.

I give CRG a pass for 2014 primarily due to the losses of Carl Lawson for the entire year and Lambert later in the season. The drop off at DE was huge, which trickled down to the DT's.

I give CRG a pass for 2014 primarily due to the losses of Carl Lawson for the entire year and Lambert later in the season. The drop off at DE was huge, which trickled down to the DT's.

10-4. Thanks for the response.

wde

That's cool. In Ford's case, at least, I think he just is talented enough that he could come in and play as 'effectively' a redshirt freshman type player. I think Reed had good physical ability, as well. I wish he had made the switch earlier in his career.

I think the current staff had to take a couple of juco guys to fill out the depth at safety, and - so far, at least - they haven't quite performed to the level we would like. That and our most consistent senior leader (Whitehead) uncharacteristically getting into trouble definitely did not help. If Ford and Matthews both turn out the way people have been talking them up, it sounds like we'll be doing very well next year.

On CRG, we're talking about a coach with decades of success under his belt, who helped us to a shot at a NC last year. Both Malzahn and Muschamp apparently feel good about him, or he would not have been retained. I, for one, don't think I'm in a better position to evaluate his coaching then they are. Plenty of teams in the SEC wished they had a better pass rush this season; many of them probably also wished they had a d-line coach of CRG's caliber.

Agreed. We had no true DEs this season. If he had the same DL as last year and the results looked the same as this year then I'd understand the heat he's taking a lot more.

Just my personal opinion, but everyone keeps going on about how great CRG is as a recruiter and a DL coach. I don't know CRG and have great respect for him as a person and as an Auburn man.

HOWEVER,

1. I was living in Georgia at the time Auburn hired RG and I knew a lot of UGA fans. I did not hear a single complaint about RG leaving UGA, but I did hear a lot of "thank goodness he's gone" types of comments. UGA got their share of defensive players, but UGA is the "Alabama" of the state of Georgia and they get a bumper crop of the Georgia highschool players no matter who is on the staff.

2. CRG has been recruiting in the southeast for more than a decade. When he came to Auburn, he had "relationships" with lots of kids. And yet, Auburn does not have one single 4* or 5* DL recruit committed. Not one. So, where is this superior recruiter everyone is talking about? And don't give me crap about "he hasn't had time to develop relationships" because that just doesn't hold water.

3. CRG inherited a bumper crop of very good talent when he arrived. Make all the excuses you want about the injury to Lawson, but the reality is, there were a lot of DL players who *should* have made for a stout enough defensive line to stop the run, even if they couldn't put a lot of pressure on the QB. I count 8 four and five star DL players when he arrived. But the DL couldn't stop the run. It was not lack of talent. It was not lack of S&C.

Was it all just the bad luck of injuries and Auburn ended up with a lot of guys playing who were not SEC caliber? Or do a lot of people just want to give CRG the benefit of the doubt and hope that he will suddenly morph into the great recruiter and coach we'd *like* him to be. But the fact is, he hasn't demonstrated the qualities on the recruiting or coaching front yet. I wish him no ill-will, but like it or not, big time college football is results-oriented. I haven't seen the results yet.

Maybe CWM can inspire CRG to new heights. I hope so. But if there are no outstanding new DL recruits on National Signing Day, and if the DL does not substantially improve in stopping the run and pressuring the QB, it's in the lap of one person and one person only.

If Auburn lands some outstanding recruits and improves its defensive line play substantially next year, I will be the first to step up and say I was flat out wrong. But sorry to say, at this point I just don't see it coming. And I'm really surprised that CWM is keeping CRG on the staff.

WDE!

Just my personal opinion, but everyone keeps going on about how great CRG is as a recruiter and a DL coach. I don't know CRG and have great respect for him as a person and as an Auburn man.

HOWEVER,

1. I was living in Georgia at the time Auburn hired RG and I knew a lot of UGA fans. I did not hear a single complaint about RG leaving UGA, but I did hear a lot of "thank goodness he's gone" types of comments. UGA got their share of defensive players, but UGA is the "Alabama" of the state of Georgia and they get a bumper crop of the Georgia highschool players no matter who is on the staff.

2. CRG has been recruiting in the southeast for more than a decade. When he came to Auburn, he had "relationships" with lots of kids. And yet, Auburn does not have one single 4* or 5* DL recruit committed. Not one. So, where is this superior recruiter everyone is talking about? And don't give me crap about "he hasn't had time to develop relationships" because that just doesn't hold water.

3. CRG inherited a bumper crop of very good talent when he arrived. Make all the excuses you want about the injury to Lawson, but the reality is, there were a lot of DL players who *should* have made for a stout enough defensive line to stop the run, even if they couldn't put a lot of pressure on the QB. I count 8 four and five star DL players when he arrived. But the DL couldn't stop the run. It was not lack of talent. It was not lack of S&C.

Was it all just the bad luck of injuries and Auburn ended up with a lot of guys playing who were not SEC caliber? Or do a lot of people just want to give CRG the benefit of the doubt and hope that he will suddenly morph into the great recruiter and coach we'd *like* him to be. But the fact is, he hasn't demonstrated the qualities on the recruiting or coaching front yet. I wish him no ill-will, but like it or not, big time college football is results-oriented. I haven't seen the results yet.

Maybe CWM can inspire CRG to new heights. I hope so. But if there are no outstanding new DL recruits on National Signing Day, and if the DL does not substantially improve in stopping the run and pressuring the QB, it's in the lap of one person and one person only.

If Auburn lands some outstanding recruits and improves its defensive line play substantially next year, I will be the first to step up and say I was flat out wrong. But sorry to say, at this point I just don't see it coming. And I'm really surprised that CWM is keeping CRG on the staff.

WDE!

recruits were put off by CEJ.didn't want to play for him. We are looking a lot better now than we were. A position coach can't attract people that don't like or connect with the coordinator. DL was doing good for the first part of the year. It fell off when the rest of the defense fell off. NFL guys don't draft players who didn't perform well in college. RG has some work to do no question. I seem to recall how he turned the DL into a very good unit in 2013. I suppose he had nothing to do with that though? A lot I think came from the lack of contact during fall practice.

Agreed. We had no true DEs this season. If he had the same DL as last year and the results looked the same as this year then I'd understand the heat he's taking a lot more.

The 2014 Auburn defense simply could not apply consistent pressure off the edge and the loss of Dee Ford (NFL) and Carl Lawson (Injury) was too much to overcome. Just when DeVonte Lambert began to play well at DE, he went down with an injury. During the 2013 season Auburn's defensive tackles totaled 125 stops, 27.5 tackles for loss, 11 sacks and 48 quarterback hurries. The 2014 defensive tackles made 126 tackles, 26.5 tackles for loss, 8 sacks and 52 quarterback hurries. The interior line production was virtually the same, which meant the primary drop-off in production came at the defensive-end position. The 2013 defensive ends combined for 110 tackles, 32 tackles for loss, 18.5 sacks and 44 quarterback hurries. This season the defensive ends totaled 77 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks and 25 quarterback hurries.

Yeah! Take your ANALYSIS elsewhere! We like to operate on SWAG: Seriously Wild Ass Guesses!

This was mentioned numerous times throughout the season, however some were either to blind to it or it didn't fit into their narrative. Either way they ignored it every time leading to the "CRG can't coach" argument

Those excuses don't fly with me, but I don't think you get rid of a guy because of an anomaly, which is why I was disappointed in Smith's firing....

Those excuses don't fly with me, but I don't think you get rid of a guy because of an anomaly, which is why I was disappointed in Smith's firing....

I personally think Smiths firing had more to do with TROB/Will than anything else. They are both secondary guys by trade and may want their personal imprints there. Not to mention the recruiting bump you get with Trob. Smith is a fine DB coach and has done a good job wherever he has been

This was mentioned numerous times throughout the season, however some were either to blind to it or it didn't fit into their narrative. Either way they ignored it every time leading to the "CRG can't coach" argument

I'm not getting the Garner can't coach line either. So the dline played poorly, fire Garner. Then next year the dline underperforms, do we fire that coach also?

It's too bad bamr didn't fire the old drunk after his '69 and '70 seasons when bamr went 6-5 & 6-5-1.

HOWEVER,

WDE!

That's like ..your opinion...man

Yep, that is my opinion. And everyone else here has his own opinion. The AUF is full of opinions. And like I said, if my opinion turns out to be wrong, I'll admit it.

Over the past 20 years of Auburn football, there have been only 3 seasons, where the DE position accounted for 30+ tackles for loss. It happened in 2004, 2010 and 2013. All three seasons were championship years with a combined record of 39-2. This past season the DE position accounted for only 17.5 TFL, the lowest mark over the past 12 years. Auburn did not have the talent and depth to replace Dee Ford and Carl Lawson. It was a sure sign of trouble, when the coaching staff was scrambling to move Wright and Adams to help out at DE before the season began. This is why I give Rodney Garner a pass for 2014. The DL was very solid in 2013. Judging him on only 2 seasons with the personnel he had to work with this season is plain silly. I'm not advocating he is a great DL coach. I'm simply stating he did not have a lot to work with in 2014 to produce the same kind of numbers he had in 2013.

There go those pesky facts again. Some just have convinced themselves RG is the worst coach ever.

Exactly

LOL, I don't think RG is the worst coach ever. I think he is a light years better coach than Mike Pelton. I just don't think he is a good DL coach (he is average). He was once a great recruiter. Give me great recruiting (which is his true strength) and give me above average on the field coaching and I will be happy with RG as our DL coach. This is all purely my opinion which is worth whatever anyone else's opinion on an anonymous message board is.

wde

There go those pesky facts again. Some just have convinced themselves RG is the worst coach ever.

Exactly

LOL, I don't think RG is the worst coach ever. I think he is a light years better coach than Mike Pelton. I just don't think he is a good DL coach (he is average). He was once a great recruiter. Give me great recruiting (which is his true strength) and give me above average on the field coaching and I will be happy with RG as our DL coach. This is all purely my opinion which is worth whatever anyone else's opinion on an anonymous message board is.

wde

At the same time you think Rocker is a great DL coach. UGA didn't have a great defense this year. Look at the rushing yards given up to UF and GA Tech. His last year at Auburn was no better and in some ways worse than what we did this year. You give him a pass on his but not RG. If you want people to take your opinions seriously then be consistent. Use the same standard for both guys.

Exactly

wde

At the same time you think Rocker is a great DL coach. UGA didn't have a great defense this year. Look at the rushing yards given up to UF and GA Tech. His last year at Auburn was no better and in some ways worse than what we did this year. You give him a pass on his but not RG. If you want people to take your opinions seriously then be consistent. Use the same standard for both guys.

I have never said Rocker is a great DL coach either. Just better than RG. Nothing more, nothing less. If Rocker were still here and RG were still at uga, the vast majority on this and other message boards would not want to trade Rocker for RG. uga's D was far better than ours, but yes UF and GT gouged them on the ground and that lands in Rocker's lap. Heck, I would rather have Lawing as DL coach more than Rocker or even Oregeron (sp).

wde

During Rocker's 3-years as DL coach at AU:

DL averaged 21.3 sacks per season, 49.3 TFL per season and the run defense held opp to -11.7 percent below opp rushing average.

During Garner's 2-years as DL coach at AU:

DL averaged 21.0 sacks per season, 50.5 TFL per season and the run-defense held opp to -12.5 percent below opp rushing average.

Both have produced about the same results with a very slight edge to Garner. For now, I lean towards having Garner based on his recruiting.

During Rocker's 3-years as DL coach at AU:

DL averaged 21.3 sacks per season, 49.3 TFL per season and the run defense held opp to -11.7 percent below opp rushing average.

During Garner's 2-years as DL coach at AU:

DL averaged 21.0 sacks per season, 50.5 TFL per season and the run-defense held opp to -12.5 percent below opp rushing average.

Both have produced about the same results with a very slight edge to Garner. For now, I lean towards having Garner based on his recruiting.

Good info. Thanks. But wasn't Rocker the DL coach for only the 2009 and 2010 seasons?

wde

As coach:

Archived