Look for run-defense to be Muschamp's #1 priority

StatTiger

Rocker only coached at AU for the 2009 and 2010 seasons. He was hired by the Titans in Feb. of 2011. Does this change your numbers?

wde

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rocker only coached at AU for the 2009 and 2010 seasons. He was hired by the Titans in Feb. of 2011. Does this change your numbers?

wde

that is correct

wde

Rocker was at AU for 3 years. He left after the 2011 season.

If you can't stop the run, they won't need to throw, hence, no need for a pass rush. Hopefully, we'll start seeing good results instead of hearing the same old excuses.

wde

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/02/tracy_rocker_thanks_auburn_say.html

If you can't stop the run, they won't need to throw, hence, no need for a pass rush. Hopefully, we'll start seeing good results instead of hearing the same old excuses.

The defensive line is supposed to occupy the offensive line and keep them off the linebackers so they can make the stop. If the linebacker makes the wrong read and allows a running play that should be stopped for minimal gain to bust through untouched then you can't blame the DL for that. Stop and think how many times a linebacker took the wrong angle or whiffed on a tackle this year.

Rocker 2009-2010: DL 56.0 TFL, 25.2 sacks, 59.5 QBH and -22.3% below rushing avg.

Garner 2013-2014: DL 50.5 TFL, 21.0 sacks, 84.5 QBH and -12.5% below rushing avg.

Still doesn't change my mind. Having Nick Fairley in 2010 really boasted the DL stats. Not having Carl Lawson in 2014 hindered the stats. I'm glad AU is going back to a 4-3 defense, which should be more efficient against the run. For now, I would still take Garner over Rocker because of the recruiting factor but it would be sweet to have both.

The defensive line is supposed to occupy the offensive line and keep them off the linebackers so they can make the stop. If the linebacker makes the wrong read and allows a running play that should be stopped for minimal gain to bust through untouched then you can't blame the DL for that. Stop and think how many times a linebacker took the wrong angle or whiffed on a tackle this year.

A lot of folks believe the DT's are instrumental in defending the run more so than DE's. In reality, the majority of rushes go through the B gap than the A gap, along with tendencies of bouncing it through the C gap. In terms of the DL portion of defending the run, not having adequate players at DE this season not only hurt the pass-rush but run-defense as well.

wde

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/02/tracy_rocker_thanks_auburn_say.html

my bad on that one. That was the very forgettable Mike Pelton era.

Rocker 2009-2010: DL 56.0 TFL, 25.2 sacks, 59.5 QBH and -22.3% below rushing avg.

Garner 2013-2014: DL 50.5 TFL, 21.0 sacks, 84.5 QBH and -12.5% below rushing avg.

Still doesn't change my mind. Having Nick Fairley in 2010 really boasted the DL stats. Not having Carl Lawson in 2014 hindered the stats. I'm glad AU is going back to a 4-3 defense, which should be more efficient against the run. For now, I would still take Garner over Rocker because of the recruiting factor but it would be sweet to have both.

As always, thanks for the response. We will have to agree to disagree on this point... I believe Garner has begun (even before he left uga) to "mail in" his recruiting prowess which I believe to be his real value to any coaching staff. Again, I appreciate your response and it does make me evaluate how I respond on this message board.

wde

As always, thanks for the response. We will have to agree to disagree on this point... I believe Garner has begun (even before he left uga) to "mail in" his recruiting prowess which I believe to be his real value to any coaching staff. Again, I appreciate your response and it does make me evaluate how I respond on this message board.

wde

I get where you're coming from. I don't know how it was at UGA. I know a lot of defensive players, especially linemen, weren't thrilled with the defense at Auburn. CEJ couldn't make the connection with them and any recruiting help that RG brought was more than offset by that. Just look at the response to WM. I do think he has work to do. I think he'll more than fill the bill for us. If we went out and got Rocker that would not bother me. Really I think it's a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other.

wde

I get where you're coming from. I don't know how it was at UGA. I know a lot of defensive players, especially linemen, weren't thrilled with the defense at Auburn. CEJ couldn't make the connection with them and any recruiting help that RG brought was more than offset by that. Just look at the response to WM. I do think he has work to do. I think he'll more than fill the bill for us. If we went out and got Rocker that would not bother me. Really I think it's a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other.

10-4. I have no problems with you questioning my opinions and FWIW, I respect what you have to say/post. I have never said or will say that I am always right. My opinions are worth no more than anyone else's on this board.

wde

wde

At this point, there is no RIGHT answer and only opinion. You just might be right, but I simply want to see what his DL looks like in a 4-3 scheme and with healthy players. I thought the DL was solid in 2013, so I'm just not ready to toss him under the bus after 1 down year.

wde

At this point, there is no RIGHT answer and only opinion. You just might be right, but I simply want to see what his DL looks like in a 4-3 scheme and with healthy players. I thought the DL was solid in 2013, so I'm just not ready to toss him under the bus after 1 down year.

Again. I respect your opinion. FWIW, I hope that you are right and I am wrong in terms of RG.

wde

wde

10-4. I have no problems with you questioning my opinions and FWIW, I respect what you have to say/post. I have never said or will say that I am always right. My opinions are worth no more than anyone else's on this board.

wde

For the last few weeks I thought Garner ran over your dog or something, this thread helped explain things more. WDE

The fact that Garner was scrambling early to find D-ends, is telling in many ways. He knew he had guys that were not ready for SEC level or may never be ready for SEC level. My personal opinion is that the scheme being ran also limited the ability to find guys who can become d-ends, especially when the star focus was on hybrid S/LB and not an Ingram type at USCe. The best move would have been Cass or Frost, but the experience, injuries, etc. limited that option.

wde

wde

For the last few weeks I thought Garner ran over your dog or something, this thread helped explain things more. WDE

The fact that Garner was scrambling early to find D-ends, is telling in many ways. He knew he had guys that were not ready for SEC level or may never be ready for SEC level. My personal opinion is that the scheme being ran also limited the ability to find guys who can become d-ends, especially when the star focus was on hybrid S/LB and not an Ingram type at USCe. The best move would have been Cass or Frost, but the experience, injuries, etc. limited that option.

My belief is that we suffered from poor scheme and coaching (and throughout the D as a whole) on the DL. I find it comical/ironic that we blew out our entire D staff except for one coach. Why? Based on production, there is no reason that any of the D staff remains. Again, this coming season will prove whether RG is an average DL coach or not.

wde

I find it comical/ironic that we blew out our entire D staff except for one coach. Why? Based on production, there is no reason that any of the D staff remains. Again, this coming season will prove whether RG is an average DL coach or not.

wde

The two assistants canned along with Johnson were "Ellis Johnson" guys that he hand-picked because they were familiar with his 4-2-5 scheme. Rodney Garner was not a 4-2-5 guy. Garner was brought into the program to recruit and coach the DL. This is why the Johnson "guys" are gone and Garner remains on staff.

I find it comical/ironic that we blew out our entire D staff except for one coach. Why? Based on production, there is no reason that any of the D staff remains. Again, this coming season will prove whether RG is an average DL coach or not.

wde

The two assistants canned along with Johnson were "Ellis Johnson" guys that he hand-picked because they were familiar with his 4-2-5 scheme. Rodney Garner was not a 4-2-5 guy. Garner was brought into the program to recruit and coach the DL. This is why the Johnson "guys" are gone and Garner remains on staff.

10-4. I hope Rodney can continue his recruiting prowess that "garnered" his long term employment at UT and uga.

wde

wde

Again. I respect your opinion. FWIW, I hope that you are right and I am wrong in terms of RG.

wde

We could all be wrong)) Hey I'm as wrong on a lot of things as anyone else probably more so. I want to be right for the sake of continuity. I would hate to be sitting here in a year or two and wondering who the next DL coach is or possibly even a new HC. This has to work. You gave valid reasons and good questions back. We all want the same thing. WDE

wde

wde

We could all be wrong)) Hey I'm as wrong on a lot of things as anyone else probably more so. I want to be right for the sake of continuity. I would hate to be sitting here in a year or two and wondering who the next DL coach is or possibly even a new HC. This has to work. You gave valid reasons and good questions back. We all want the same thing. WDE

No doubt that we all want the same thing. If we all had the same opinion as to how we achieve the same thing then this and all other message boards would be boring and probably cease to exist.

wde

Looking back, i believe the red flag should have gone up when GW and MA was working at defensive end. Maybe GW lost too much weight and was an in between weight that wasn't effective at either position. After looking at the games, we had one DE that would not have started on any other SEC team.

We had a DE depth issue with no contributing upper classmen after Dee Ford graduated. Leaving us a JUCO transfer Lambert and a true sophomore Lawson, whom we lost to injury. We cannot blame CRG for past deficiencies in DE recruiting. Also his slip in dline recruiting the final years at UGA maybe contributed to the UGA defense transitioning to a base 3-4 defense under Grantham. It is pure speculation but UGA had growing scheme issues after 2005 under Martinez and a philosophy change that may not have suited CRG's abilities. There are major technique differences when coaching a 3-4 line vs 4-3 line. It may all be speculation but as we increase our DE depth with Kennion, Thornton, Lawson and Lambert. We will have Adams, Lawrence, Daniel, Williams and Russell in the interior. Funny how we will have a decent rotation of 4-5 at DT and DE and they are all recruited and signed in the last 2 years by Garner. He is a 4-3 coach with 3-4 experience, which is perfect for CWM defense and Muschamp can advise him on the required techniques. He has built depth that didn't exist before him, except at DT.

We had a DE depth issue with no contributing upper classmen after Dee Ford graduated. Leaving us a JUCO transfer Lambert and a true sophomore Lawson, whom we lost to injury. We cannot blame CRG for past deficiencies in DE recruiting. Also his slip in dline recruiting the final years at UGA maybe contributed to the UGA defense transitioning to a base 3-4 defense under Grantham. It is pure speculation but UGA had growing scheme issues after 2005 under Martinez and a philosophy change that may not have suited CRG's abilities. There are major technique differences when coaching a 3-4 line vs 4-3 line. It may all be speculation but as we increase our DE depth with Kennion, Thornton, Lawson and Lambert. We will have Adams, Lawrence, Daniel, Williams and Russell in the interior. Funny how we will have a decent rotation of 4-5 at DT and DE and they are all recruited and signed in the last 2 years by Garner. He is a 4-3 coach with 3-4 experience, which is perfect for CWM defense and Muschamp can advise him on the required techniques. He has built depth that didn't exist before him, except at DT.

On point...

On point...

We will see. RG is on the clock.

wde

Archived