Why History will be kind to Obama

homersapien

It won't nor should it.

Even CNN is calling out Obama for not attending or even sending the very French looking John Kerry to the unity rally in Paris.

When all of Europe is more to the right than the US, and CNN is calling out the President, you KNOW your administration is totally incompetent.

It won't nor should it.

Even CNN is calling out Obama for not attending or even sending the very French looking John Kerry to the unity rally in Paris.

When all of Europe is more to the right than the US, and CNN is calling out the President, you KNOW your administration is totally incompetent.

The level of SHAME this administration has reached is epic. No leadership and no wisdom. What a pathetic bunch.

It won't nor should it.

The level of SHAME this administration has reached is epic. No leadership and no wisdom. What a pathetic bunch.

War Tim has NEVER read any article that long. But does use words he doesn't understand.

Johnson is hardly unique in this way. American historical memory is heavily inflected with sentiment. John F. Kennedy remains an iconic figure despite his negligible record. Ronald Reagan has won a legacy as the restorer of American hope and the winner of the Cold War, as if communism fell not as a result of its own dysfunction and four decades of Western containment but because no U.S. politician ever previously thought to tell the Soviets to tear down that wall. Partisan folklore does not inevitably give way to calm appraisal. Andrew Jackson, still introduced to schoolchildren as the hero of the common man, was a white supremacist with a fanatical hatred for any government role in economic development—a kind of 19th-century Ron Paul, but with a genocidal militaristic foreign policy. Ulysses S. Grant, taught as a corrupt and overbearing warlord, was also an effective champion of racial progress as both general and president. Two centuries on, the fog of mythos enveloping these figures has yet to dissipate.

Economists and political scientists will appreciate the scale of Obama’s successes over the long run, as many of them do already. But historians are storytellers, and the moody presentism that has rendered Obama an enigmatic failure will not automatically give way to quantifiable assessment. The president’s most irrational trait may be his inordinate faith in the power of reason itself.

*This article appears in the January 12, 2014 issue of New York Magazine.

No need to read the entire article. The last couple of paragraphs usually sum up the gist of the message.

" This President is an empty suit, and we're cool w/ that. The end. "

I have a great idea. Surprised no one's thought of it:

If you're not going to take the time to read the article, then discuss or debate the points in it, don't post in the thread.

Raptor, of course, cannot discuss the article since he didn't read it.

Apparently he didn't even open the link. I guess he can derive all the information he needs from the link itself. ;D

Johnson is hardly unique in this way. American historical memory is heavily inflected with sentiment. John F. Kennedy remains an iconic figure despite his negligible record. Ronald Reagan has won a legacy as the restorer of American hope and the winner of the Cold War, as if communism fell not as a result of its own dysfunction and four decades of Western containment but because no U.S. politician ever previously thought to tell the Soviets to tear down that wall. Partisan folklore does not inevitably give way to calm appraisal. Andrew Jackson, still introduced to schoolchildren as the hero of the common man, was a white supremacist with a fanatical hatred for any government role in economic development—a kind of 19th-century Ron Paul, but with a genocidal militaristic foreign policy. Ulysses S. Grant, taught as a corrupt and overbearing warlord, was also an effective champion of racial progress as both general and president. Two centuries on, the fog of mythos enveloping these figures has yet to dissipate.

Economists and political scientists will appreciate the scale of Obama’s successes over the long run, as many of them do already. But historians are storytellers, and the moody presentism that has rendered Obama an enigmatic failure will not automatically give way to quantifiable assessment. The president’s most irrational trait may be his inordinate faith in the power of reason itself.

*This article appears in the January 12, 2014 issue of New York Magazine.

No need to read the entire article. The last couple of paragraphs usually sum up the gist of the message.

" This President is an empty suit, and we're cool w/ that. The end. "

Wow. I expected to elicit an irrational rant from you, but this is even better.

A self-revelation of illiterate ignorance. You didn't even understand the part you quoted. And the underlining of the last sentence is ironically delicious! :laugh:

" Hitler wasn't such a bad guy after all..."

Really don't need to read beyond that, do ya?

Raptor, of course, cannot discuss the article since he didn't read it.

Apparently he didn't even open the link. I guess he can derive all the information he needs from the link itself. ;D

He was not allowed. Rush does not permit his loyal followers to read the propaganda of evil leftists.

The writer clearly is an Obama cheerleader who goes out of his way of portraying resistance to Obama's agenda as all wrongheadedness of his conservative opposition. It seems like Obama's getting a pass, as usual, if all that is going to be remembered is that he accomplished his own agenda. It is debatable if that agenda is actually good for the country. I've never felt it was. Whether the discussion is nationalizing 1/6th of the economy with Obamacare, favoring open borders or his complete inability to see any merit in anything other than his way, I'd say Obama was anything but ready for the job of POTUS.

I also find it quite convenient for the writer to brush past Obama's failures and, there are many, the details of which remain unclear at best. Given this particular performance, I'd bet that history will be VERY kind to Obama, if for no other reason, those who will write it have been his most loyal protectors and promoters.

The writer clearly is an Obama cheerleader who goes out of his way of portraying resistance to Obama's agenda as all wrongheadedness of his conservative opposition. It seems like Obama's getting a pass, as usual, if all that is going to be remembered is that he accomplished his own agenda. It is debatable if that agenda is actually good for the country. I've never felt it was. Whether the discussion is nationalizing 1/6th of the economy with Obamacare, favoring open borders or his complete inability to see any merit in anything other than his way, I'd say Obama was anything but ready for the job of POTUS.

I also find it quite convenient for the writer to brush past Obama's failures and, there are many, the details of which remain unclear at best. Given this particular performance, I'd bet that history will be VERY kind to Obama, if for no other reason, those who will write it have been his most loyal protectors and promoters.

Yep. History has a liberal bias alright. ;D

" Hitler wasn't such a bad guy after all..."

Really don't need to read beyond that, do ya?

There's really no need to keep piling on evidence. The case for you is made. ;)

Guess I'm in the mood to rattle some chains. ;)

http://nymag.com/dai...gacy-chait.html

I wouldn't count this as "credible" news just more inflated propaganda (commentary of course) to make the President look like a forward thinker. Sure, there's some things that have happened over the last 6 years that provide some positive reflection, but there's no way to know for sure how his presidency will be looked at 10 or more years from now. The ACA is still a huge burden that will explode at some point (as created to do) and many of his "accomplishments" are minor in depth and overall impact. I'm not RACIST as this writer cleverly mentions in the last paragraph, but I know a transformer when I see one and no.....I don't mean Autobots or Decepticons (which is a good term for this presidency). Anyone who thinks a central government should have the power over the individual is just another power grabbing politician looking to make things more difficult for the common man.

:)

Given the historical portrayals of Lincoln, Wilson and FDR, I agree. BTW, nice straw man.

Given the historical portrayals of Lincoln, Wilson and FDR, I agree. BTW, nice straw man.

Straw man? :dunno: You're the one who said Obama's history will be written by his most loyal protectors and promoters.

You guys are funny. The problem is the media, academia, government and now historians are all controlled by liberals. :-\

It must be true, reality has a liberal bias.

All barry is concerned about is his next tee time. We need leadership......Help is on the way!!! 2016

Absolutely! What we need is a fresh GOP leadership to lead us straight back into the hole the last GOP leader lead us into!

As you are so fond of saying, Bwaaaahaaaahaaa! :laugh: :laugh: :ucrazy:

Your guy has destroyed US reputation worldwide. Bwahahahaha THAT !!!

Absolutely! What we need is a fresh GOP leadership to lead us straight back into the hole the last GOP leader lead us into!

As you are so fond of saying, Bwaaaahaaaahaaa! :laugh: :laugh: :ucrazy:

Never mind the $18.5 trillion dollar hole THIS admin has lead us into, half of which is ALL HIS work.

No.....That would be a fact. Sadly, you lack the ability to comprehend. :nopityA:

Archived