Disappointing report from Auburn police

AU64

While stories like this often continue to evolve, I'm stricken by the fact that he either had a gun and someone grabbed it before the police arrived, or the detective was simply testifying about what witnesses told him (as the quote would seem to indicate). If he had a gun and fired it, there would be brass from two different weapons at the scene. GSR isn't necessarily a reliable method of determining whether he had a weapon or not, but the brass certainly is. I find it odd that there was no mention of a gun being found with the body, but there are apparently witnesses saying he had one. Did no one witness the gun being picked up by someone else before the police arrived?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here again we have people jumping to conclusions without all the facts.

Detective Dustin Holt said in a Monday morning court hearing that witnesses saw Mitchell with a gun during an argument with Markale Hart. The witnesses could have been buddies of Markale.

Jakell may have had a gun, if he did there will be evidence of it. There is no mention of any so for, just witnesses.

So why not wait for all the facts before you start posting dumb stuff.

You Sir are EXACTLY right. This is one of the worst cases of a "reporter" rushing out with a headline and a story without determining very critical facts. Her motivation to do this is unknown although it's not hard to come up with one.

In the first place the headline itself is misleading. She says "the Detective says". Well no, the Detective didn't say it. What he did say was that "witnesses said" it. In the comments section after the article, the same reporter says the number of witnesses that said this is "undetermined". Well that is very critical to her so called story before running with it, as are other facts.

* How many witnesses said this ?

* Were these only witnesses that were cohorts of the killer that said it ?

* Why wasn't a gun ever reported as being found ?

* Why did this story only come out at the killer's bond hearing ?

* Why didn't she interview the detective and ask ?

* Why didn't she determine these critical facts before she rushed to press with a misleading headline and an incomplete story ?

This is irresponsible and shoddy reporting at best. But to run with something like this, on a case that is so sensitive and sad, is pathetic.

By the way, before that article at Al.com turned into a flamefest by the same suspect group of bammers, I asked the reporter all those questions. So far she hasn't answered a single question.

Right now, the way it is sourced and written, I do not believe a single word of this. I don't believe Jakell threatened to kill anybody, I don't think he had a gun and unless I see real facts to the contrary, that isn't going to change. What it sounds like to me is a killer and his pals trying to save his skin.

So EVERYBODY needs to withhold judgement until we have answers. But whatever you do, DO NOT let anybody trash the legacy of a fine (as far as we all know) young man like Jakell. It's not fair to him, his Mother, his Father or the rest of his Family.

This was testimony at Hart's probation revocation hearing. More detail will come out at the actual murder trial. This was just enough for Bammerham media to go wild on. Kinda pushed the story about the domestic violence accused football player to the back burner.

Even if Jakell's did fire a weapon, who is to say it wasn't in his self-defense. I will withhold judgement on this as well. Maybe, if this is bad reporting, Jakell's family can sue the "paper" and finally put them out if our misery.

Lollll Trigga Tray is a reference to Trey Songz who is currently r&b singer. lol not even a gangster rapper, but a love-ballad singing r&b singer.

Either way, extremely disappointing to say the least. If I am a parent, and seeing all this happening in and around Auburn's campus you can forget about letting my kid attend school there. Football player or normal student. Gus has to start recruiting better PEOPLE. Both young men made effing idiotic decisions. One is dead and the other is going to spend the rest of his life in jail. Wow is all I can say.

Where are you going to send them that is any more safe?

Timing and sources, or lack thereof, leave me with the aroma of pachyderm, as this story wafts past my computer screen.

Was Jakell a saint? Doubtful, seeing as where he was, and what we know of this place.

Did he deserve to be shot and killed, and then have the same people who claim to support him, partake in killing his reputation to go along with it? Before actual facts are presented? No way in Hell.

More evidence if we needed any after Ferguson, that you just can't trust stories from eye witnesses until the facts have been sorted out. Doesn't diminish the sadness over his death, but I guess it provides several lessons about where people hang out and who with.

Uh-oh. More conclusion jumping.

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

snapback.pngCleCoTiger, on 04 January 2015 - 06:45 PM, said:

Don't care what his Twitter handle is. And dang if I know why a *very few* people want to make something of it. For all you or anyone else knows, "Trigga" might refer to "pulling the trigger" when laying licks in games. But way to jump to conclusions.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Goodwin, Kitchens, McNeil, Mosley, Christian, Phillips, Mitchell.

Jumping to conclusions is for other programs.

Focus and commitment will never be a function of talent. Mental toughness is a choice.

Stupid post

Detective Dustin Holt said in a Monday morning court hearing that witnesses saw Mitchell with a gun during an argument with Markale Hart. The witnesses could have been buddies of Markale.

Jakell may have had a gun, if he did there will be evidence of it. There is no mention of any so for, just witnesses.

You Sir are EXACTLY right. This is one of the worst cases of a "reporter" rushing out with a headline and a story without determining very critical facts. Her motivation to do this is unknown although it not hard to come up with one.

In the first place the headline itself is misleading. She says "the Detective says". Well no, the Detective didn't say it. What he did say was that "witnesses said" it. In the comments section after the article, the same reporter says the number of witnesses that said this is "undetermined". Well that is very critical to her so called story before running with it, as are other facts.

* Why didn't she determine these critical facts before she rushed to press with a misleading headline and an incomplete story ?

This is irresponsible and shoddy reporting at best. But to run with something like this, on a case that is so sensitive and sad, is pathetic.

By the way, before that article at Al.com turned into a pathetic flamefest by the same suspect group of bammers, I asked the reporter all those questions. So far she hasn't answered a single question.

Right now, the way it is sourced and written, I do not believe a single word of this. I don't believe Jakell threatened to kill anybody, I don't think he had a gun and unless I see real facts to the contrary, that isn't going to change. What it sounds like to me is a killer and his pals trying to save his skin.

So EVERYBODY needs to withhold judgement until we have answers. But whatever you do, DO NOT let anybody trash the legacy of a fine (as far as we all know) young man like Jakell. It's not fair to him or his Family.

I agree. That title is very shoddy journalism based on what has been revealed.

Just my opinion but I think that the detective who testified at the hearing is going by more than what Hart's friend might have said. As for my witness comment...I was thinking back to the day after the shooting where witnesses said that JM was an innocent bystander when he was shot....which was the version most people ran with.

We obviously don't know all the facts and some might not come out until there is an actual trial. As for the self-defense argument, the fact that JM was reportedly shot 6 times including twice from behind might explain the murder charge.

All in all...my post was to express sadness for the entire event and link to a current news article.

You Sir are EXACTLY right. This is one of the worst cases of a "reporter" rushing out with a headline and a story without determining very critical facts. Her motivation to do this is unknown although it's not hard to come up with one.

By the way, before that article at Al.com turned into a flamefest by the same suspect group of bammers, I asked the reporter all those questions. So far she hasn't answered a single question.

So EVERYBODY needs to withhold judgement until we have answers. But whatever you do, DO NOT let anybody trash the legacy of a fine (as far as we all know) young man like Jakell. It's not fair to him, his Mother, his Father or the rest of his Family.

Nailed it! This writer should get the annual "Thayer Evans bullcrap journalism award". The worst case of non-fact finding I've seen since Evans wrote about Cam Newton.

For those of you that want to automatically come to the conclusion that this must be some sort of bunk article: people around the area have been claiming that there were much more "unreported details" that paint Mitchell in a less-than-admirable light ever since the incident actually happened. None of this is new info, the reality is that it is just surfacing to the mainstream public now.

One of our own players Tweeted out right after the story broke that he tried numerous times to convince Mitchell to stay out of trouble. That, if anything, should tell you enough to conclude that Mitchell at the very least wasn't some innocent angel who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and was murdered for no reason.

RIP to the kid, but lets get real: play with fire, and your likelihood of getting burned is exponentially increased.

This seems to be a much better written article. It makes more sense.

Sara Falligant | Opelika-Auburn News |

Slain Auburn University redshirt freshman H-back Jakell Mitchell exchanged fire with the man accused of killing him at a Dec. 14, 2014, party in Auburn, the Auburn Police Division confirmed Monday.

APD Detective Dustin Holt testified Mitchell was armed with a handgun at a probation revocation hearing in Tallapoosa County Circuit Court for suspect Markale Hart, 22, of Camp Hill, Monday morning.

http://www.oanow.com...177a35461c.html

For those of you that want to automatically come to the conclusion that this must be some sort of bunk article: people around the area have been claiming that there were much more "unreported details" that paint Mitchell in a less-than-admirable light ever since the incident actually happened. None of this is new info, the reality is that it is just surfacing to the mainstream public now.

One of our own players Tweeted out right after the story broke that he tried numerous times to convince Mitchell to stay out of trouble. That, if anything, should tell you enough to conclude that Mitchell at the very least wasn't some innocent angel who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and was murdered for no reason.

RIP to the kid, but lets get real: play with fire, and your likelihood of getting burned is exponentially increased.

The amateurish way that particular article was reported and sourced is in fact, bunk. That will be true whether some elements in it eventually turn out to be true or false. Maybe some real reporter will do a better job of presenting the facts of the case, with something more than vague statements and unnamed sources. That is important.

I've also seen at 247, probably jjust like you have, several people now come out of the woodwork saying they knew about this all along. That always happens. I'm sure the facts will be tested in court, the truth eventually revealed and we will all know exactly what happened.

Oh boy. This is not good. What is it with these people setting their arguments with a gun instead of fists?

Fists rarely cause fatalities, but that doesn't make them a legitimate way to settle an argument either.

In fact, NO kind of violence is an appropriate reaction to verbal assault or disagreement! Resorting to violence in a verbal disagreement is an admission that either:

A. One's verbal arguments have failed or been successfully refuted, or,

B. One has lost control of oneself and is not behaving as a mature enlightened adult, or

C. Both of the above.

I reject violence of any kind as being an appropriate response to mere words or verbal disagreement!! :soapbox:

i dont see why details like this are left out so long.

for legal reasons. It was part of an ongoing investigation. These are things that don't get released ahead of legal proceedings.

yea but the media digs and people talk. i cant believe any of the witnesses who where the shooter's pals or family havent come out with this.

The amateurish way that particular article was reported and sourced is in fact, bunk. That will be true whether some elements in it eventually turn out to be true or false. Maybe some real reporter will do a better job of presenting the facts of the case, with something more than vague statements and unnamed sources. That is important.

I've also seen at 247, probably jjust like you have, several people now come out of the woodwork saying they knew about this all along. That always happens. I'm sure the facts will be tested in court, the truth eventually revealed and we will all know exactly what happened.

Exactly. A reporter should never "lead" with a conclusion that he/she cannot back up with facts in the same article.

On the other hand, we don't know for sure the reporter created the headline. It may have been her editor.

Slain Auburn University redshirt freshman H-back Jakell Mitchell exchanged fire with the man accused of killing him at a Dec. 14, 2014, party in Auburn, the Auburn Police Division confirmed Monday.

APD Detective Dustin Holt testified Mitchell was armed with a handgun at a probation revocation hearing in Tallapoosa County Circuit Court for suspect Markale Hart, 22, of Camp Hill, Monday morning.

Well, that does seem to confirm he had a gun, even if it didn't exactly confirm he fired it.

Regardless, I just don't get it. You'd think a dedicated athlete would have enough to occupy his life without lapsing into "gangster" (for lack of a better word) diversions.

Can this possibly be something he got into after coming to Auburn? I just have to believe there was something going on before he got here.

Well, that does seem to confirm he had a gun, even if it didn't exactly confirm he fired it.

Regardless, I just don't get it. You'd think a dedicated athlete would have enough to occupy his life without lapsing into "gangster" (for lack of a better word) diversions.

Can this possibly be something he got into after coming to Auburn? I just have to believe there was something going on before he got here.

he grew up near auburn

Archived