Disappointing report from Auburn police

AU64

Maybe we should start a letter campaign?

Everyone could generate their own letter and post it openly in this forum on a special thread for it as well as sending it to ? (Dr. Gogue, Jay Jacobs and Gus)?

Obviously, I am talking about respectfully expressing concerns as someone who loves Auburn University.

Perhaps there is an email address we could use to make it easier.

Thoughts?

Good point and staff e-mail addresses are pretty easy to get from the main AU site.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we should start a letter campaign?

Everyone could generate their own letter and post it openly in this forum on a special thread for it as well as sending it to ? (Dr. Gogue, Jay Jacobs and Gus)?

Obviously, I am talking about respectfully expressing concerns as someone who loves Auburn University.

Perhaps there is an email address we could use to make it easier.

Thoughts?

I think Gus and the admin have started to address the issues, especially with that particular apartment complex. Seems I recall somebody mentioning some stricter controls were going to be put in place. Shame it had to happen after a 2nd such incident but that generally seems to be the way things work. Doing something like you mentioned would not be a bad idea though.

Here again we have people jumping to conclusions without all the facts.

Detective Dustin Holt said in a Monday morning court hearing that witnesses saw Mitchell with a gun during an argument with Markale Hart. The witnesses could have been buddies of Markale.

Jakell may have had a gun, if he did there will be evidence of it. There is no mention of any so for, just witnesses.

So why not wait for all the facts before you start posting dumb stuff.

You Sir are EXACTLY right. This is one of the worst cases of a "reporter" rushing out with a headline and a story without determining very critical facts. Her motivation to do this is unknown although it's not hard to come up with one.

In the first place the headline itself is misleading. She says "the Detective says". Well no, the Detective didn't say it. What he did say was that "witnesses said" it. In the comments section after the article, the same reporter says the number of witnesses that said this is "undetermined". Well that is very critical to her so called story before running with it, as are other facts.

* How many witnesses said this ?

* Were these only witnesses that were cohorts of the killer that said it ?

* Why wasn't a gun ever reported as being found ?

* Why did this story only come out at the killer's bond hearing ?

* Why didn't she interview the detective and ask ?

* Why didn't she determine these critical facts before she rushed to press with a misleading headline and an incomplete story ?

This is irresponsible and shoddy reporting at best. But to run with something like this, on a case that is so sensitive and sad, is pathetic.

By the way, before that article at Al.com turned into a flamefest by the same suspect group of bammers, I asked the reporter all those questions. So far she hasn't answered a single question.

Right now, the way it is sourced and written, I do not believe a single word of this. I don't believe Jakell threatened to kill anybody, I don't think he had a gun and unless I see real facts to the contrary, that isn't going to change. What it sounds like to me is a killer and his pals trying to save his skin.

So EVERYBODY needs to withhold judgement until we have answers. But whatever you do, DO NOT let anybody trash the legacy of a fine (as far as we all know) young man like Jakell. It's not fair to him, his Mother, his Father or the rest of his Family.

Excellent^^

The fact that they have charged him with murder says that police may not be buying the eye witnesses srories.

He's charged with murder because of his malicious intent to kill. Especially shooting one in the back while victim is facedown on the concrete, that doesn't sound or look like self defense to me.

Even if Jakell's did fire a weapon, who is to say it wasn't in his self-defense. I will withhold judgement on this as well. Maybe, if this is bad reporting, Jakell's family can sue the "paper" and finally put them out if our misery.

Why would an 18 year old be carrying in the first place? All of this is a dose of not good.

Archived