LSU reportedly contacts Smart about their DC position

PigskinPat

Wonder if this has any legs to it?

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/01/alabamas_kirby_smart_reportedl.html#incart_m-rpt-2

"TUSCALOOSA, Alabama So far, there's been no movement within Alabama assistant football coaching staff.

But there are reports of discussions involving the Crimson Tide's highest-paid coordinator and an SEC West rival. Defensive coordinator Kirby Smart has been contacted by LSU about its vacancy for the same position, The Baton Rouge Advocate reported Monday."

They wouldn't offer Chavis the same money A&M offered. I bet Kirby wants that much and more. I don't see it. Only reason I think it would is if there is some friction there at turdland. Otherwise it makes no sense. Stranger things have happened.

If Smart ever makes a move it will be to a head coach position you can bet on that.

unless Spanky feels the need to toss him overboard. In that case I guess he'd tell him to find the first head coaching job he could.

IF ks gets a HC position straight out of loserville....it will be to a non power conference school. You can bet on that.....

IF ks gets a HC position straight out of loserville....it will be to a non power conference school. You can bet on that.....

Nothing wrong with that.....most of the power 5 schools are past experimenting with coordinators in their first HC job...Muschamp's situation at UF probably helped push that along.

Lots of good non-power 5 schools out there to provide an ambitious coordinator with his first HC job. .....problem is, just like Gus going from AU to Arky State, the smaller schools can't even match the salaries of the top coordinators like Smart....and the guys have to be willing to take a salary cut to "move up" to HC. Smart and Muschamp are making more than some power 5 head coaches I understand.

They wouldn't offer Chavis the same money A&M offered. I bet Kirby wants that much and more. I don't see it. Only reason I think it would is if there is some friction there at turdland. Otherwise it makes no sense. Stranger things have happened.

Doesn't Smart make more at uat than Chavis did at lsu?

I will say this, I think Smart better be jumping some place else if he ever wants a HC job - he's got to get out from under NS's wings and prove he can run is own show.

Just because a school is in a power 5 conference doesn't mean that it is a POWER school. The lower tier schools in the power 5 could go after a high profile coordinator and most likely land him.

Just because a school is in a power 5 conference doesn't mean that it is a POWER school. The lower tier schools in the power 5 could go after a high profile coordinator and most likely land him.

I agree...but the salary levels are not that good....and their prospects for the future are not that great either and would not help his career to coach a bunch of losses.

I'm just thinking of Gus taking the Arkys state job and McIlwain taking the Colorado State job for a couple years to prove his coaching ability. Those strike me as a better game plan than going to say...Vandy (which Gus turned down) or to one of the bottom rung "power 5" schools. Just an opinion...but I do agree with Kessler that he's not going to get the HC job at bama or a Power 5 power by moving up from his current job...just how things seem to work these days.

Kirby needs to cut the cord and prove himself - "if" he were to go to LSU he'd make good money, still be in the SEC, have just as much talent at his disposal as he has at uat, and we know Les would be totally hands-off and would let him run his own show. Lord knows, Les has his hands full with that putrid offense he can't waste his brain cells on meddling in the defense.

IMO, LSU is in a mess and it's gonna take more than a new DC to get them out of it.

I will say this, I think Smart better be jumping some place else if he ever wants a HC job - he's got to get out from under NS's wings and prove he can run is own show.

He could go grab a head coaching job at a mid major or a lower tier school in a power 5 conference probably anytime he wanted to. If he believes that Alabama is going to promote him when Saban steps down, he's sadly mistaken.

They should contact him about the head coach position!

It will be good for Auburn if LSU keeps ole Les around a few more years.

Shoot , I like Les....probably the best interview in the SEC....even ahead of Spurrier. Hope he stays...but glad to see Chavis gone. b

I agree, everyone will wonder if it is Smart or Saban making the D go. If he goes to a team where the HC is an O guy, that will show his true wares. I am surprised it has taken so long for him to get another offer (though I thought it would be a HC offer).

I agree, everyone will wonder if it is Smart or Saban making the D go. If he goes to a team where the HC is an O guy, that will show his true wares. I am surprised it has taken so long for him to get another offer (though I thought it would be a HC offer).

I think most people thought he was waiting on the UGA job to open up or else he was just going to stay at bama in hopes of succeeding Saban.

If Smart were to make a lateral move to LSU, would it be for the money, to get away from Saban and/or Kiffen, or some of all of the above?

It wouldn't be for money. I think him and Saban get along ok.. I don't know about kiffin.

And where's all the Auburn people who said he would leave Alabama for Auburn to be DC.

Who said that?

I'm curious as well to know who said that. I know his name was talked about as the HC during the last search, but I don't recall anyone saying he would come here to be our DC.

And where's all the Auburn people who said he would leave Alabama for Auburn to be DC.

Who said that?

I'm curious as well to know who said that. I know his name was talked about as the HC during the last search, but I don't recall anyone saying he would come here to be our DC.

Don't waste your time but it's in the EJ got fired thread or something. Kind of Rediculous.

I just don't see the powers that be with the turds giving Smart the HC job when Saban leaves. I know he has been with >:D a while, but the fact of the matter remains he has never been a head coach. The turds went down that road already with Mike Shula and if memory serves me correctly, it didn't work out too well for them...for us yes, for them no.

Archived