Does anyone know why Boom

AUIH1

had to basically start over/retool the D recruiting board as has been posted by insiders on other boards? Other than the obvious that we have been struggling in D recruiting.

I don't have any insider info or anything, but a huge chunk of recruiting is filling the current needs a team has. The needs when looking at UF's roster are likely entirely different than the holes in our depth chart. Plus he now has a completely different set of commits that factor into those needs as well. There will obviously be a lot of overlap in players (like Cowart, Jefferson, etc) that you'd take no matter what, but there may be some shuffling around of "who is most important" when you only have limited slots to work with.

Secondary to all that, he also has some recruiting restrictions on the players he can recruit per his contract with UF that could play into things as well

Don't know, just going by what ellitor posted on another board. This is in response to augolf1716.

wde

had to basically start over/retool the D recruiting board as has been posted by insiders on other boards? Other than the obvious that we have been struggling in D recruiting.

Because Boom's playing and scheme philosophy is vastly different than CEJ's was. As Golf pointed out retooling does not meanmore than a couple will not be great fits. He will make any upgrades to fit his scheme and philosophy just as any new coach does. This happens every year at every new job.

I was told that Will looked at AU's D recruiting and scratched his head. No plan was really in place. Lazy was a term used. So he threw away the old list, went back to his house and made his list and hit the road running. I was being nice when I said lazy.

I was told that Will looked at AU's D recruiting and scratched his head. No plan was really in place. Lazy was a term used. So he threw away the old list, went back to his house and made his list and hit the road running. I was being nice when I said lazy.

That sounds scary, " No plan was really in place". Usually that happens when you know you're getting fired.

That sounds scary, " No plan was really in place". Usually that happens when you know you're getting fired.

And of course the new guy has to convince everyone that he is better than the one he is replacing....JMO but take those comments with a grain of salt.

Or it gets you fired. Either way, mistakes have been corrected and we are clearly moving in the right direction.

And of course the new guy has to convince everyone that he is better than the one he is replacing....JMO but take those comments with a grain of salt.

Fair, but you can't argue with the massive momentum shift immediately after Muschamp's hiring.

Fair, but you can't argue with the massive momentum shift immediately after Muschamp's hiring.

You can just look at the way the D played last year and see no plan was in place. Hell Ellis didn't double up Cooper after the first TD Cooper scored. Crazy. And what I put came directly from the horses mouth. Anyway TIFWIW.

You can just look at the way the D played last year and see no plan was in place. Hell Ellis didn't double up Cooper after the first TD Cooper scored. Crazy. And what I put came directly from the horses mouth. Anyway TIFWIW.

Crazy. Absolutely. I was able to keep my head in the sand until then. Texted a bama buddy and told him congrats right then. We didn't even try to defend their best player.

Yeah i remember a quote from Ellis saying that we would guard Cooper like any other WR...we all saw how well that worked out.

If we had no plan in place then wouldn't that fall on the recruiting coordinator as much as the DC?

I wouldn't think so. I would think that the recruiting coordinator depends on the coordinators to a large extent for a vision on who needs to be recruited.

Put another way, a recruiting coordinator doesn't tell a defensive coordinator what kind of kids he needs to play in his defense. I would imagine that it is a coordinator's- and head coach's- job to tell the recruiting coordinator which kids need to get signed. It is the recruiting coordinator's job to see that they are signed.

There are numerous people here, though, who are vastly more informed on the subject. I'm just killing time until one of them gives you a legitimate answer.

Regardless of who did or didn't have the uItimate responsibility, I guarantee you we will have a recruiting plan on the defensive side of the ball now. That's what strong leaders do.

Regardless of who did or didn't have the uItimate responsibility, I guarantee you we will have a recruiting plan on the defensive side of the ball now. That's what strong leaders do.

*like*

I don't know why Boom coming in and starting recruiting from a clean slate would be a shocker. I mean if the entire staff is changed, then that typically happens. And in this case the staff and scheme are being changed on the D. So it makes complete sense to me that they would want to change directions with the recruiting for the D. Now I don't believe that would mean you start pulling offers from committed recruits assuming they play a general position of need (ie: CB). I mean let's face it. We had an ex-RB and ex-WR playing CB for us this year. Obviously we need some help in this dept.

I don't know why Boom coming in and starting recruiting from a clean slate would be a shocker. I mean if the entire staff is changed, then that typically happens. And in this case the staff and scheme are being changed on the D. So it makes complete sense to me that they would want to change directions with the recruiting for the D. Now I don't believe that would mean you start pulling offers from committed recruits assuming they play a general position of need (ie: CB). I mean let's face it. We had an ex-RB and ex-WR playing CB for us this year. Obviously we need some help in this dept.

Who's the ex-RB? If you're referring to Ford, he played safety. Also, he came in as likely to play safety as he was to play RB. Turns out he's a very good safety, possibly our best returning safety (Matthews will likely be a stud). Also, Reed was a blue chip CB in high school, so it's not all that crazy.

And it's not a "shocker" that Muschamp is looking at some different recruits. What is of interest is that "lazy" is a kind version of what he actually said about the outgoing staff's recruiting.

WDE is telling the truth. This had to be fixed, and we are fortunate CWM/T-Rob etc. have relationships with some kids. In much better hands now.

On we get our D recruiting up to par with O, then there are no excuses. None better be needed either! ( <--- CWM/CGM, we looking at you)

I believe it 225%. Explains why a LOT of d-recruits signed else where. Never was a fan of coach Ellis on how he used his scheme. Especially how some of his defenders would say he will make adjustments at HALFTIME. And sometimes he did, but I'd rather have a IN GAME adjustment over HALFTIME adjustment any day.

If we had no plan in place then wouldn't that fall on the recruiting coordinator as much as the DC?

No. All the recruiting coodinator does is coordinate most of the details. The DC along with his staff picks the players they want to recruit. Same on the O. The RC is in touch with the high school coaches the most hence it is usually the best recruiter as RC.

Archived