How Many Muslim Extremists Are There?

icanthearyou

Well, according to Fox News frequent guest, Brigitte Gabriel, between 15 and 20% of all Muslims are radicals. However, experts estimate the actual number to be less than 1%. Do Fox and Ms. Gabriel represent "fair and balanced" or, fear and paranoia?

http://news.yahoo.com/many-muslim-extremists-just-facts-please-183415518.html

ACT! for America's president and founder Brigitte Gabriel is a media favorite of conservatives concerned about terrorism.

And in the wake of the attacks on the Paris offices of Charlie Hebdo,

about "Muslims dedicated to the destruction of Western civilization" at a Heritage Foundation forum last June has been revived by bloggers and passed around social media.

"The radicals are estimated to be between 15 to 25 percent, according to all intelligence services around the world," she said, in part, when asked by an American University head-scarf wearing law student about waging an ideological war with Muslims. "You're looking at 180 million to 300 million people dedicated to the destruction of Western civilization..." Gabriel said.

Is this figure accurate?

Not according to Angel Rabasa, who is a senior political scientist at the RAND corporation. While conducting research for his latest book, "Euro Jihad," he found that Western European intelligence agencies estimate that less than one percent of the Muslim population living within their borders are at risk for becoming radicals.

Working off of these intelligence estimates, if you were to take one percent of the Muslim populations of Germany, France, and the United Kingdom, by the most liberal of estimates, less than 125,000 Muslims living in these combined countries would be prone to radicalization. Add that to the possible radical population across the rest of Europe and the sum is approximately 325,000 Muslims are at risk of becoming radical.

The key qualifier is "at risk of becoming radical." That doesn't meant that they will pick up a gun or start plotting an attack.

"Radicalization and violent extremism are two different things," Mr. Rabasa says. "Violent extremist behavior only comes about if a radicalized individual falls in with a circle of people who are open to using violence."

According to Rabasa, a "radical" Muslim could also be an individual who belongs to an Islamist organization that is advocating for a Sharia legal system, but does not embrace violence to bring this to fruition.

Calls and emails to Act! for America to clarify Gabriel's statistics and statements were not returned.

Perhaps a better indicator to evaluate what percentage of the European Muslims are extremists prone to violence may be to count the number of people who have gone off to fight in Syria and Iraq for any one the thousand-plus factions on the ground, most notably the Islamic State, because these individuals are engaging in combat and are receiving training.

The Christian Science Monitor reported in September that the top European Union counter-terrorism official estimated that roughly 3,000 Europeans had gone to fight in Syria, although this figure also counted the dead and was later reduced to 2,000. American officials originally said there were more than 100 Americans who had gone to Syria. But the FBI chief has since reduced it to 12 confirmed people.

Western governments have been warning of returning fighters from Syria and their capability to launch terror attacks, so it would be plausible to conclude that returning jihadis , assuming they are not picked up by law enforcement at the European point of entry first, would be some of the most prone to engage in violent extremism and attempt to recruit other radicals.

Even if that figure was 3,000 and even if that represented only a tenth of all the Muslims in Europe "dedicated to the destruction of Western civilization," that would put the figure at 0.01 percent of Europe's Muslims, not between 15 and 25 percent as Gabriel claims.

15 to 25 percent is a much better number to cater to the Foxbot islamaphobes.......and it sells more gold and survival seeds.

I'd say know one really knows. However, if I were to guess based on personal experience in the Middle East, I'd say 5% are in training or present an aggressive posture and another 5-10% are on the fence. Another 50% would like to stay out of the fray all together, while the remaining 35% trust no one and side with whomever has the upper hand.

instead of trying to vilify FOX, why not open your eyes and look at the sobering facts that even if there are only 1% militants, full 50% of Muslims approve of violent solutions to disrespecting the religion, allah or the child molesting prophet, Mohammed.

instead of trying to vilify FOX, why not open your eyes and look at the sobering facts that even if there are only 1% militants, full 50% of Muslims approve of violent solutions to disrespecting the religion, allah or the child molesting prophet, Mohammed.

And how much time have you spent in the Middle East?

How much time did Theo Van Gogh spend in the M.E. ?

How much time did Theo Van Gogh ?

Thats not my question. So your answer is zero time spent in the middle east and yet somehow you are writing as though you have.

According to barry and his buds...0%.

Raptor......did you not know AUUSN is an expert on the middle east as well as the left and right east?

What about the afterlife? :-)

How many in the WTC towers had been to the M.E. ??

And no, I did not answer to anything suggesting that I had been to the M.E.

What is our strategy for dealing with the Islamic Terrorists. Inquiring people would like to know so us islamaphobes could sleep better at nigh.

I've been there....but I'm no expert. Just giving an opinion based on observation in the areas I've been over there. People may be shocked to know that a lot of residents in the desert areas still live as nomads. They adhere to their religion in a strict and simple way.

If only 1% of Muslims were radical, it would total over 160,000,000 people. That's half of the population of the United States.

Is that supposed to trump my assertion? Dont make wildy idiotic statements about Muslims when youve never lived in their country.

Why should he be any different than any others making wild assertions here? Have you lived in a Muslim country.......I mean lived in their community, not on a naval bass or in an American zone?

Why should he be any different than any others making wild assertions here? Have you lived in a Muslim country.......I mean lived in their community, not on a naval bass or in an American zone?

I haved lived in Bahrain for a year. In their culture, working with them everyday. Now please for the love of humanity stop trolling me. Its becoming really creepy.

Is that supposed to trump my assertion? Dont make wildy idiotic statements about Muslims when youve never lived in their country.

WHY not? YOU make "idiotic" statements about Americans???

WHY not? YOU make "idiotic" statements about Americans???

Find it and post it. If not delete your slanderous accusation.

AUSN...... wow, now the almighty Navy guy gets upset about an accusation. You like to refer to what I say a lot so let me quote you.......shut up.

You JUST made a judgement of an American having an "idiotic" (your words) statement. That's YOUR opinion.......

You JUST made a judgement of an American having an "idiotic" (your words) statement. That's YOUR opinion.......

It was idiotic, just like this and 90 percent of your posts.

WT....his mirror is broken.

He has one?

Archived