Update: Lance Thompson hired as new LB coach

slipadeedoodah

Strange things are afoot.

Lance_Thompson.jpg

Auburn has completed its coaching staff by hiring Alabama linebackers coach Lance Thompson away from the Crimson Tide, the school announced Wednesday morning.

Thompson, a linebackers coach with a great reputation as a recruiter, will handle the linebackers for Will Muschamp, allowing the defensive coordinator to work with Travaris Robinson and coach the safeties.

Thompson, who has coached at Alabama the past three seasons, has spent three separate stints in Tuscaloosa.

"I'm really excited and very appreciative to be joining the Auburn football family and work with Coach Malzahn, Coach Muschamp and the entire staff," Thompson said in a release. "I have a great amount of respect for Coach Malzahn and what he represents and what he has accomplished in a short period of time."

Speculation on Auburn's final coaching spot had centered around former Miami linebackers coach Micheal Barrow, but the move to get Thompson adds a coach who has worked with Muschamp before at LSU in 2002 and 2003.

"I'm excited to have Lance Thompson join our staff. Lance is very familiar with Will having worked with him before," Malzahn said. "He's an outstanding coach and an outstanding recruiter who is very familiar with our state and the Southeastern Conference. Lance will be a great addition to our staff."

Thompson, who began his career as a defensive line coach with Georgia Tech (1995-1998, 2001) and Alabama (1999-2000) has spent his career moving into and off of Nick Saban's staff.

"I hope to bring my strengths to the program to help Auburn football achieve its goals of winning a national championship," Thompson said. "I'm blessed to be joining Coach Malzahn's staff and the Auburn family."

http://www.al.com/sp...hompson_aw.html

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently from what I've gathered, Thompson and Gus met at the coaching convention this past weekend. And I think he is indeed interested in the position. He worked with Muschamp at LSU and served as the Dline coach there. He has been an excellent coach and GREAT recruiter. But, Barrow is still #1 on the list to take over the LB's. They are just working out the details of the contract I've heard. I think we'll hear something in the next 48 hours before the BIG BOOM weekend of recruiting.

I am sorry, who? and why is this a thing?

He's the current #5 recruiter in the country and it would taking him away from Alabama

Thank you, Cameron - that was helpful and polite, and I appreciate it.

It's very interesting to say the least. Could Thompson flip a player or two if he became a coach at AU?

Interesting how things are in looserville.

It is interesting. Makes you wonder a bit what's going on in Tuscaloosa. If I were Thompson, I might be hoping for a promotion (maybe to coaching all the LBs?). Maybe he's reaching out to Gus just to put some pressure on Saban. Or maybe he thinks coming to AU and coaching LBs under Boom would be a better gig?

It is interesting. Makes you wonder a bit what's going on in Tuscaloosa. If I were Thompson, I might be hoping for a promotion (maybe to coaching all the LBs?). Maybe he's reaching out to Gus just to put some pressure on Saban. Or maybe he thinks coming to AU and coaching LBs under Boom would be a better gig?

I imagine after giving up 44 to Auburn and 42 to OSU, Saban wasn't in a very good mood and probably had a few things to say to his defensive coaches. No assistant coach is going to be able to pressure Saban into doing anything. Who knows what the motivation was for that.

I imagine after giving up 44 to Auburn and 42 to OSU, Saban wasn't in a very good mood and probably had a few things to say to his defensive coaches. No assistant coach is going to be able to pressure Saban into doing anything. Who knows what the motivation was for that.

Well, it's funny how that works out sometimes. If Saban doesn't want to lose Thompson, the fact that Thompson contacted Gus does put pressure on Saban. He might not like it, but it's true. He might not react how Thompson wants, either. Still ....

The report of smart being contacted by lsu might have been confusion. Maybe Steele al along. Thompson probably wants to move up the chain towards a dc position. Thinks he could get in line to replace boom in a couple years. Anyway i thought barrow was a done deal.

Well, it's funny how that works out sometimes. If Saban doesn't want to lose Thompson, the fact that Thompson contacted Gus does put pressure on Saban. He might not like it, but it's true. He might not react how Thompson wants, either. Still ....

True. As much as we might not like Saban, he does attract good coaches to work for him. He figures he can just replace him with another one just like him.

The report of smart being contacted by lsu might have been confusion. Maybe Steele al along. Thompson probably wants to move up the chain towards a dc position. Thinks he could get in line to replace boom in a couple years. Anyway i thought barrow was a done deal.

No one that I know of has claimed that Barrow is a done deal. I've seen only the claim that he has been offered a position. He hasn't taken it, yet.

Lance Thompson has coached at quite a few SEC programs LSU/UAT/UT/back to UAT....

Wasn't he the coach that was caught having a fling with some young chicks in Tuscaloosa and basically had to leave town and took a job at Tennessee under Kiffen?

He's is an outstanding recruiter but I've seen many Auburn fans accuse him of being shady recruiter. :-\

Lance Thompson has coached at quite a few SEC programs LSU/UAT/UT/back to UAT....

Wasn't he the coach that was caught having a fling with some young chicks in Tuscaloosa and basically had to leave town and took a job at Tennessee under Kiffen?

He's is an outstanding recruiter but I've seen many Auburn fans accuse him of being shady recruiter. :-\/>

Having a fling with coeds? Likes to bend the rules? I want to hang out with this guy.

I would assume if this Thompson guy contacted Gus and is not hired by AU, he is doomed at bama.

Agreed, something just seems off to me about it. But it could be on the up-and-up. :dunno:

"Tinfoil Hat Alert!!!" Is Bama trying/hoping to implant a spy at Auburn?

Remember, I did warn you. "Tinfoil Hat Alert!!!"

Anything that gets a person out of west vance is a good thing.....

First of all, to everyone, there is no need for being so acidic toward people.

But on the topic:

Thompson did this once before when he left bammer for UT. From what bama fans say, he finds working with Saban something of a grind. It's not for everyone. You work with him because he's one of the best in the business and it's a highly visible platform for your career. But personalities don't always mesh.

Archived