Update: Lance Thompson hired as new LB coach

slipadeedoodah

Are there cracks forming in the foundation in turd town? First tiny legs saying that you don't need a trophy to be a winner and now assistants fleeing.....hmmmmmm....

;D

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't we add Barrow to that new "off field" spot and add Thompson to LBs?

Sure why not. I mean Barrow would agree to that in a heartbeat.

it'd be a recruiting palace

I was being facetious. I seriously doubt Barrow would take an off field role. He might but I figure his family situation prevents him from being an on field coach. I see no reason for him to go work in an off field role. They'll put someone else like a high school coach or someone like that into that spot.

I understand what you were doing, I was explaining why we should do it.

Gotcha. If they could do it, that would be great.

It's good in two aspects. You add an elite recruiter to your own staff, but you simultaneously take one from your rival.

Ok, I like this hire fine, but is he a better on the field coach than Barrow or is it a wash in that regard and Thompson is a better recruiter?

wde

If there is one thing that Alabama has had it's a stout linebacker corp. I can't say one is really better than the other by that much to matter.

Instead of undercutting Shannon's hire to Florida by locking in Micheal Barrow, we undercut Saban. I would have liked either scenario but undercutting Saban is a grand slam!

It's good in two aspects. You add an elite recruiter to your own staff, but you simultaneously take one from your rival.

Ok, I like this hire fine, but is he a better on the field coach than Barrow or is it a wash in that regard and Thompson is a better recruiter?

wde

If there is one thing that Alabama has had it's a stout linebacker corp. I can't say one is really better than the other by that much to matter.

This is true. spuat has had very good LB play/coaching and talent. Hopefully we can look forward to the same from now

wde

Wow. Was told a week ago Barrows hire was done. Interesting news indeed.

I could be wrong, but I think this has more to do with his family situation than anything. I think Barrow wanted the job and Auburn wanted Barrow. But in the end he might not feel like he can move to Auburn and still be available as needed for his mom.

wde

Not sure...bamas D was certainly better than Miami's and it goes without saying that their outside LBs tackle in space as good or better than anybody in the country. I'd say in an educated guess that Thompson is a better coach and recruiter.

wde

I'm no expert but I'd say he's at least as good on the field as Barrow. Has more experience for sure and he's worked with Muschamp before. Thompson's recruiting prowess would be hard to top so even though Barrow would have been excellent (particularly in S. Florida) in that regard, this is an even better hire recruiting-wise.

Are y'all saying Auburn has hired Lance Thompson away from spuat?

Yes

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011415aaa.html

Bammers, after AU signs 2 5* linebackers recruited by Thompson- 'He cheated!!'

Thompson- 'I didn't do half the stuff I got to do at UAT...'

If bammers accuse him of cheating at AU why is it any different than what we've all accused him/them of doing for years?

If bammers accuse him of cheating at AU why is it any different than what we've all accused him/them of doing for years?

In all honesty it does go on at EVERY program, even Auburn. Now it isn't as blatant and not to that degree but it does go on.

In all honesty it does go on at EVERY program, even Auburn. Now it isn't as blatant and not to that degree but it does go on.

Lance will bend the rules - he has everywhere he's coached. Maybe he's been able to clean up some of his personal/family issues since he returned to uat for his second stint.

He should compliment Muschamp and I think we will see an instant improvement on the D.

This is a great hire, Barrow's would have been too. Couldn't go wrong with either. Big thing is this has totally come out of nowhere (at least for me). Gus isn't playjng around for sure.

Archived