Update: Lance Thompson hired as new LB coach

slipadeedoodah

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know anything about Lance Thompson except that he's coached @ UA and UT and been around for a LONG time. I would think he'll be a great addition to the staff. Does this imply that Barrow turned Gus down?

I'm thinking that Barrow's family issues were a serious part of his decision.

Barrow might have strung things out too long....who knows but this is a very interesting hire...didn't Thompson just bring in that LB from Georgia a couple weeks ago? ...one who is still on our list?

Assuming that he and Steele both worked for Smart, ya think Smart got the message that he needed to make some changes?

I think it's at least plausible that some of the staff was told to go shopping. They've had some serious issues on the defensive side of the ball lately. Two years in a row, Auburn has basically embarrassed that defense (300 yards rushing last year; 400+ passing this year; 78 points allowed). Two years in a row, they've been abused defensively in a major bowl game (even if you believe they had motivation problems last year). If it were Auburn, folks on this board would definitely be up in arms. Someone was going to get scapegoated for this.

Regardless, I like the hire. I'm shocked by it, but I like it.

I don't really care what cracks exist in turdville - all i know is we were one respectable defense away from a NC last year and now we are on our way! My question is, will CLT be able to recruit as well without REC funding?

I dont know anything about Lance Thompson except that he's coached @ UA and UT and been around for a LONG time. I would think he'll be a great addition to the staff. Does this imply that Barrow turned Gus down?

It might imply Barrow turned the job down, but not necessarily that he didn't want it. He had some family considerations with his mom's bad health. He took a sabbatical last year to take care of her. Most likely it's that he couldn't move her to AU with him and he can't be that far from her with her health issues. If he gets in coaching again this season it needs to be closer to home.

Even IF he was told by Saban to look around, I don't care since we just upgraded our D staff again with this hire.

wde

Bammers, after AU signs 2 5* linebackers recruited by Thompson- 'He cheated!!'

Thompson- 'I didn't do half the stuff I got to do at UAT...'

If bammers accuse him of cheating at AU why is it any different than what we've all accused him/them of doing for years?

Was supposed to be a jab at bama fans. But they ARE the only fan base that brag about their cheating.

I love this hire. I think he is a good coach, who CWM obviously feels will help the D. His recruiting ability seriously help out AU. I trust in CGM's decision to go with him.

WDE!!

It might imply Barrow turned the job down, but not necessarily that he didn't want it. He had some family considerations with his mom's bad health. He took a sabbatical last year to take care of her. Most likely it's that he couldn't move her to AU with him and he can't be that far from her with her health issues. If he gets in coaching again this season it needs to be closer to home.

Watch him go to bama. That would make for a good chuckle.

This may help most because now both LB coaches are gone from alabama and they will have to try to hire 2 coaches, and those coaches may not have a biult in relationship like Thompson will have.

Potential big recruiting help for us but I'm sure saban will have a plan. He may throw in a sound system with the Cadillac.

My question is are there serious cracks in the dam now? 2 major bowl losses and it's hard to put up with Lil' Spanky's crazy narcissistic ways knowing a huge promotion to another school probably isn't likely?

I'm thinking the same thing. Something must being going down over there. You just don't lose two of your best assistant coaches and recruiters in a span of 24 hours with out something about to come down the pipeline. Not sure if they were told to leave or if Saban wants to find defensive coaches that know how to stop the fast offensive attack. Either way things aren't happy at the Crapstone and I for one am loving it.

Watch him go to bama. That would make for a good chuckle.

That thought has crossed my mind too. I hope he stays away from bama though. Let bama implode

This is exactly what everyone wanted, dramatic upgrades and changes on the defensive coaching staff. Gus has delivered, now we just need those recruits. Next fall will be fun!

My question is are there serious cracks in the dam now? 2 major bowl losses and it's hard to put up with Lil' Spanky's crazy narcissistic ways knowing a huge promotion to another school probably isn't likely?

I'm thinking the same thing. Something must being going down over there. You just don't lose two of your best assistant coaches and recruiters in a span of 24 hours with out something about to come down the pipeline. Not sure if they were told to leave or if Saban wants to find defensive coaches that know how to stop the fast offensive attack. Either way things aren't happy at the Crapstone and I for one am loving it.

The Steele move was a no brainer for him. The Thompson move is definitely intriguing!

This is exactly what everyone wanted, dramatic upgrades and changes on the defensive coaching staff. Gus has delivered, now we just need those recruits. Next fall will be fun!

That and for the new staff to execute as expected...

So basically when we ask a bammer about him he will now be known as "the worst linebacker coach ever"

You are right.... one bammer I work with said he didn't want UAT to hire him from UT anyway.

Archived