Update: Lance Thompson hired as new LB coach

slipadeedoodah

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So basically when we ask a bammer about him he will now be known as "the worst linebacker coach ever"

You are right.... one bammer I work with said he didn't want UAT to hire him from UT anyway.

Yeah one at my school said that their linebackers suck, don't know how to tackle or contain a QB, and that he wasn't even that good of a recruiter.

This is quite a surprising hire, but a good one for sure. Thompson has been known to be a top-notch recruiter, and the fact that this hire is coming right at the end of the dead period for recruiting is something--at least it is to me. The fact that this is a lateral move may say a lot. Of course, whomever Lord Saban hires to replace him will be crowned the next great hire for Alabama and Lord Saban. Alabama has now lost 2 defensive coaches in the last 2 days. I don't want to look at Tahd boards, but I can only imagine they are either panicking over this, or are telling themselves and anyone else who reads their boards that losing Steele and Thompson is not that big of a deal since Saban is the reason the defenses have been so dominant at Bama since he's been there. I wonder what dear old Pawl Finebaum will say about this?

Welcome to Auburn Coach Thompson.

WDE

Will he be required to go through a decontamination process?

I don't know about that but wouldn't it be interesting to be in on the de-briefing process and what CLT knows about spuat's recruiting.

:-\ :-\ Yeah, Thompson sucks so bad as a coach that Saban hired him TWICE.

You will NEVER, EVER get Bama fans to say anything different when a coach leaves or a player flips than "we didn't want him" or "he was told to find someplace else".

They are saying Thompson was told to find another job.

One insider, Aaron Suttles, tweeted that.

Could be that he was. I am sure after Auburn and OSU torched that vaunted defense for 40+ points, the wee one wasn't happy. He's making some scapegoats out of a couple of people. It is his defense that they are running there. I mean it's his philosophy and his tactics and concepts and all the rest.

He is an excellent coach. It is a great addition for us without regard to his present bama circumstances. Bama fans would spin it as such whether he was "run off" or not.

Welcome to Auburn Coach Thompson.

WDE

Will he be required to go through a decontamination process?

Just a delousing and quick check for bugs.

I think it's at least plausible that some of the staff was told to go shopping. They've had some serious issues on the defensive side of the ball lately. Two years in a row, Auburn has basically embarrassed that defense (300 yards rushing last year; 400+ passing this year; 78 points allowed). Two years in a row, they've been abused defensively in a major bowl game (even if you believe they had motivation problems last year). If it were Auburn, folks on this board would definitely be up in arms. Someone was going to get scapegoated for this.

Regardless, I like the hire. I'm shocked by it, but I like it.

Yep - heads needed to roll after the last two seasons of giving up huge chunks of yardage. They are loaded with talent and that secondary has looked like crap - and once CJ Mosely left for the pro's their LB corp has been sub-par for a NS defense. Steele went from a LB coach to a DC coach at an elite school, so who wouldn't want to make that move? But Thompson leaving Saban for the 3rd time in his career is strange. I'm glad we have his recruiting connections and look forward to him improving our defense.

So basically when we ask a bammer about him he will now be known as "the worst linebacker coach ever"

You are right.... one bammer I work with said he didn't want UAT to hire him from UT anyway.

Yeah one at my school said that their linebackers suck, don't know how to tackle or contain a QB, and that he wasn't even that good of a recruiter.

He is a great recruiter - but you can't compare the production of Depriest/Ragland to CJ Mosely/Rolando McLain/Hightower they have dropped off at the LB position

I would assume if this Thompson guy contacted Gus and is not hired by AU, he is doomed at bama.

Agreed, something just seems off to me about it. But it could be on the up-and-up. :dunno:

"Tinfoil Hat Alert!!!" Is Bama trying/hoping to implant a spy at Auburn?

Remember, I did warn you. "Tinfoil Hat Alert!!!"

Remember this comes from people who say he contacted Gus but we don't know for sure.

I thought the attitude would be more positive especially with historically alabama recruiting and turning out LBs to the NFL.

maybe barrow was just not a good fit? Whatever the case, Muschamp made the final call not just Gus by himself. Curious to know what Alabama fans think of this.

I guess I'm just stupid. I always figured the coach knows more than I know, and some coaches just don't fit certain situations. I trust Gus to make the right decisions, and correct them if a situation doesn't work out. I'll wait before I get too high, or negative right off the bat.

I think it's a good hire, Coach Boom knows him well and he's obviously on board with it. Only time will tell if it was a great hire. And we will probably never know why he left the tahd, but does it really matter??

Its obvious that someone had to pay for Alabama's defense getting rolled up on this year. When a head coach makes 7M per year, he damn well better makes some changes. Both Kevin and Lance where rehired by Saban. They can't be that bad. Besides Saban is the defensive guy. The problems existed on his side of the ball. Saban will not win another NC while at Bama. They want even come close this year.

I've been in meetings this morning. Had no clue what was going on. I was just checking in to see the normal back and forth of the off season forums. Then BOOM! I see this thread. This is big if not huge and just in time for the biggest weekend of visits of the year. Coach Thompson is a closer in the living room of recruits. Watch for some chips to fall into place by Monday. Welcome Coach Thompson. War Eagle!!

Its obvious that someone had to pay for Alabama's defense getting rolled up on this year. When a head coach makes 7M per year, he damn well better makes some changes. Both Kevin and Lance where rehired by Saban. They can't be that bad. Besides Saban is the defensive guy. The problems existed on his side of the ball. Saban will not win another NC while at Bama. They want even come close this year.

I didn't think they'd come close last year, but damned if they didn't win the conference and make it to the playoff. Hell, I thought AU would return to the championship game and repeat as SEC champs and we collapsed on the back end of the season. :dead:

I thought the attitude would be more positive especially with historically alabama recruiting and turning out LBs to the NFL.

maybe barrow was just not a good fit? Whatever the case, Muschamp made the final call not just Gus by himself. Curious to know what Alabama fans think of this.

I think with Barrow, it was a matter of the family issues, specifically the health of his mother, that caused that to fall through. I believe he wanted it and Auburn wanted him but he just couldn't take it because of her.

I didn't think they'd come close last year, but damned if they didn't win the conference and make it to the playoff. Hell, I thought AU would return to the championship game and repeat as SEC champs and we collapsed on the back end of the season. :dead:

They'll still be in the hunt just like always. I see the trend of nobody repeating as SEC champion continuing. Not winning the conference means they'll be on the outside looking in.

There is no way wee man told Thompson to leave a few weeks prior to signing day.

Bammer boards saying that Thompson and Steele sat down with Saban after the playoff game to let him know they were probably going to be leaving bama for other opportunities.

There is no way wee man told Thompson to leave a few weeks prior to signing day.

Bammer boards saying that Thompson and Steele sat down with Saban after the playoff game to let him know they were probably going to be leaving bama for other opportunities.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do

Archived