Gus working to fix the defense

gr82b4au

This started before Gus was coach. Auburn has only had one defense ranked in the top 60 nationally in 6 years. But in just his second year, it started to hit home. The writing was on the wall after the TAM game. The Alabama game was the nail in the coffin. You score 38 and then 44 points on teams... and lose... that is a tough pill to swallow. The man had enough. We needed to be better on defense. We needed a change.

So all he did was go out and find the best possible person he could find ... He hired the #1 guy on the list, Muschamp, as the defensive coordinator. Home run hire.

Then he hires T Rob to go with Muschamp, who is a very good coach and an ace recruiter.

If that was not enough, they hire Thompson, a good coach and one of the best recruiters in the nation.

Bring in the coaches. Have them help recruit better players. Teach them the right way to play defense. Turn them loose. Change the attitude back to the way it used to be for Auburn defenses.

Will it work? Maybe...maybe not. But at least we can't say that Gus didn't try to bring in the very best to make it happen. Honestly, other then the 2010 Auburn Tigers (who won the title) and the 2013 Auburn Tigers (who played for the title and lost in the last few seconds), defense wins championships.

As an AU fan, all I have to say is ... it is about freaking time. War Eagle.

I mean, Chizik TRIED to do the same...hired several high quality coaches who went on to be successful for the majority. Even slashed Malzahn's offense to try to make the defense less tired. Has Malzahn gotten better names to Auburn? yes, but next year will see if names translate to results for Auburn. If it doesn't, we're just a cursed college for defense (AUBURN, CURSED, DEFENSIVELY, wow)

I mean, Chizik TRIED to do the same...hired several high quality coaches who went on to be successful for the majority. Even slashed Malzahn's offense to try to make the defense less tired. Has Malzahn gotten better names to Auburn? yes, but next year will see if names translate to results for Auburn. If it doesn't, we're just a cursed college for defense (AUBURN, CURSED, DEFENSIVELY, wow)

Chiz failed for s number of reasons. His lack of accountability made things worse. His constant interference with both coordinators made matters worse. He didn't hire the right ones to begin with. Roof was Ellis Johnson before we had Ellis Johnson. BVG stepped into a mess nobody could fix. We aren't cursed. This will work.

Chiz failed for s number of reasons. His lack of accountability made things worse. His constant interference with both coordinators made matters worse. He didn't hire the right ones to begin with. Roof was Ellis Johnson before we had Ellis Johnson. BVG stepped into a mess nobody could fix. We aren't cursed. This will work.

I will say the interfereing thing was a huge problem. Probably a bigger problem than any hire we made.

I'm glad coach Malzahn knows you must have a strong defense. As we saw in 2014, couldn't keep playing games scoring 38, 44, 31 and we still lose. We need to go back to having a smash mouth defense for 60 full minutes.

I think any Auburn fan would have to admit, Gus has done all he can do. If we can keep the new defensive staff in place for a few years it is going to work. That will be the next challenge. No doubt, these guys can coach and they can recruit, but when they turn this thing around can we keep them together.

Chizik was a defensive guy by trade and defense blew his whole tenure. Malzahn is an offensive guy and his offenses are almost always outstanding. He is addressing defense aggressively . I am pleased.

I think any Auburn fan would have to admit, Gus has done all he can do. If we can keep the new defensive staff in place for a few years it is going to work. That will be the next challenge. No doubt, these guys can coach and they can recruit, but when they turn this thing around can we keep them together.

I think they'll hang around for a while. Will will be here for long enough to give some continuity. T-Rob could be the heir to the throne as it were. Garner and Thompson don't really appear to be on an upward trajectory.

Well...he has not done all he can do until the results on the field improve. I do believe we have better coaches in place. I don't expect next year to be great....but it should be much improved....better schemes, better coaching, more accountability, and hopefully a few new comers that can contribute immediately. This is a work in progress. Defense did not get this way overnight and will not get better overnight. I am looking for solid improvement.

He clearly hired one of the best if not the best DC available. First step addressed -and it was a great one. Fundamentals and scheme should see immediate improvement. I am stoked.

Well...he has not done all he can do until the results on the field improve. I do believe we have better coaches in place. I don't expect next year to be great....but it should be much improved....better schemes, better coaching, more accountability, and hopefully a few new comers that can contribute immediately. This is a work in progress. Defense did not get this way overnight and will not get better overnight. I am looking for solid improvement.

You forgot better schedule, solid O line, returning leaders in LBs, Duke Williams in his contract year. I expect next year to be a great year. This year was the down year. Next year, way up.

If this staff is half of what we want it to be, it's not gonna be 100% together for more than 3-4 seasons. Muschamp hasn't given up with the SEC or with HC and if he becomes a HC again, Thompson will likely follow him again. It'd be nice to promote Robinson to DC after that and who knows who he'll pick

Gus hit 3 grand slams and it is not even out of the first inning. Gus can now turn the reigns completely over to CWM to run the defense, and allow Gus to focus on making his offense go from 90 proof to 180 proof. We are on the edge of seeing something great at Auburn unlike anything we have seen in decades or maybe ever. Our defense will improve dramatically in 2015. It is going to be so fun watching those 59-10 games against the big boys in the SEC!

If this staff is half of what we want it to be, it's not gonna be 100% together for more than 3-4 seasons. Muschamp hasn't given up with the SEC or with HC and if he becomes a HC again, Thompson will likely follow him again. It'd be nice to promote Robinson to DC after that and who knows who he'll pick

And how's that different from most other staffs? Successful coaches tend to strike while the iron's hot and move onward and upward; unsuccessful coaches get canned.

I'm ecstatic that we've put together an all-star recruiting staff. Here's hoping they can be all-star position coaches, too.

I think this staff will be together far longer than you think. It will be a while before CWM gets another HC gig in the SEC.

This is big boy football. If you do not want to go 4-4 in the SEC every year then you take the field against lower division SEC schools (the ones that took all their TV money and wasted it on poor choices) and they have no hope of winning.

You take the field against top 10 teams with a new game plan, an intensity that the other team cannot match, and players trained to play sound football with equal talent... and you compete, you lay your guts on the line. If you fall short then it

should not hold over the next week because the team staff and fans are not pointing fingers.

Little doc

I think this staff will be together far longer than you think. It will be a while before CWM gets another HC gig in the SEC.

Vandy, Ole Miss, and even Miss St could all be looking for new HCs at some point during that span. The way UGA is going, that's eventually gonna open up as well (if UGA is open, Muschamp is leaving in a heartbeat, there's no two ways with that statement)

Vandy, Ole Miss, and even Miss St could all be looking for new HCs at some point during that span. The way UGA is going, that's eventually gonna open up as well (if UGA is open, Muschamp is leaving in a heartbeat, there's no two ways with that statement)

Mark Richt isn't leaving UGA anytime soon. Muschamp also would not get that high caliber of a job that quick. Hugh Freeze just signed a new contract for 4 years. Derek Mason is at Vandy for at least 3 years. Dan Mullen is about to sign a contract extension... Don't know where you got the idea that any of those coaches are leaving within the next 3 years.

Mark Richt isn't leaving UGA anytime soon. Muschamp also would not get that high caliber of a job that quick. Hugh Freeze just signed a new contract for 4 years. Derek Mason is at Vandy for at least 3 years. Dan Mullen is about to sign a contract extension... Don't know where you got the idea that any of those coaches are leaving within the next 3 years.

UGA is on a downward slope, and those other coaches could always leave through various methods (Ole Miss still seems like the dead end job of always, even with the talent boosted, Vandy is likely gonna have a quick trigger finger here, and I don't expect them to get much better than the record this year in the near future)

Muschamp couldn't hack at as HC at UF and all its recruiting riches, but UGA is a shoe-in?

Bruh, relax. Stop rushing the future and just revel in these hires on D for the moment.

UGA is on a downward slope, and those other coaches could always leave through various methods (Ole Miss still seems like the dead end job of always, even with the talent boosted, Vandy is likely gonna have a quick trigger finger here, and I don't expect them to get much better than the record this year in the near future)

I don't agree with the UGA thing. They're on a downward slope every year and akeays do better than average, Vandy yes, I don't see Freeze leaving with the next three years honestly. He's done well except for the ass whooping he took the other day.

Not much of a poster, mostly just read and gather information from others opinions. I think that is classified as a lurker. But I am pretty pumped up about the incoming staff. My only hope and I know it's a pipe dream is that people will give this staff a little time to gel, maybe a year or two. Our D didn't become irrelevant overnight and I think it might take more than one offseason to get all the schemes and players in place to get our defense right. One of the things I love about Gus is that he knows his strengths and weaknesses and like every good leader he addresses his weakness and try's to make them his strengths. My opinion is that he will give CWM free reign on his side of the ball and that will keep him happy for some time. And on a side note thanks to all the posters who make this site part of my daily routine, really enjoy your input.

Not much of a poster, mostly just read and gather information from others opinions. I think that is classified as a lurker. But I am pretty pumped up about the incoming staff. My only hope and I know it's a pipe dream is that people will give this staff a little time to gel, maybe a year or two. Our D didn't become irrelevant overnight and I think it might take more than one offseason to get all the schemes and players in place to get our defense right. One of the things I love about Gus is that he knows his strengths and weaknesses and like every good leader he addresses his weakness and try's to make them his strengths. My opinion is that he will give CWM free reign on his side of the ball and that will keep him happy for some time. And on a side note thanks to all the posters who make this site part of my daily routine, really enjoy your input.

I don't know who you are or what you think you're doing posting this well written and thoughtful post like you're somehow better than all the rest of us. Either post your link, or reveal your sources!. MOM! Their posting rumors again!!!111one11juan!!11

Just Kidding. ;)

Very nice post! I agree with you completely and I hope you post more. The board could use more well tempered and thoughtful posters.

Outside of UGA, I don't see a school on there that would appeal to Muschamp. I think you're underestimating Richt. He'll be there a good while yet.

Richt is not going anywhere. He has a good stable program and if anything they are recruiting better than ever. And UGA would never hire a coach that failed at Florida. Get real.

Archived