Who do you think our starting 11 will be on Offense next year?

Dual-Threat Rigby

Two-deep:

QB - Johnson / White

Bruiser - Robinson / Barber

Scatback - Thomas / Johnson

HB - Pettway / Cox

TE - Laye / Harris

WR - Stevens / Ray

WR - Louis / Burton

SL - Williams / Wallace

SL - Davis / Truitt

LT - Coleman / Ivey

LG - Kozan / Danzey

C - Golson / Dampeer

RG - Young / Adams

RT - Smith / Leff

I personally wouldn't split the running backs up like that, but otherwise, I agree. It will be interesting to keep an eye on the interior of the OL.

Agreeable! I think Kaleb Kim has a legitimate chance to beat Xavier Dampeer as backup center but I won't be surprised if they move Dampeer to DT due to their depth. There will be a battle between Adams/Diamond/Carr as backup RG and Leff/Sharp as backup RT.

Sharp at tackle... interesting (to me, at least, because I haven't paid much attention to his recruitment)! Appreciate your insight.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two-deep:

QB - Johnson / White

HB - Pettway / Cox

TE - Laye / Harris

WR - Stevens / Ray

WR - Louis / Burton

SL - Williams / Wallace

SL - Davis / Truitt

LT - Coleman / Ivey

LG - Kozan / Danzey

C - Golson / Dampeer

RG - Young / Adams

RT - Smith / Leff

I personally wouldn't split the running backs up like that, but otherwise, I agree. It will be interesting to keep an eye on the interior of the OL.

Agreeable! I think Kaleb Kim has a legitimate chance to beat Xavier Dampeer as backup center but I won't be surprised if they move Dampeer to DT due to their depth. There will be a battle between Adams/Diamond/Carr as backup RG and Leff/Sharp as backup RT.

Sharp at tackle... interesting (to me, at least, because I haven't paid much attention to his recruitment)! Appreciate your insight.

Quiet person. Reminds me of Brandon Mosley. Sleeper recruit!

Robert Leff is incredibly intelligent. He's majoring in Mechanical Engineering and is consistently in the top half of the class, or better. During the fall, he was the first person to finish our Design and Manufacturing project, roughly 2 months before I did. If he doesn't win the backup job, it won't be because he isn't a hard worker or a REALLY smart guy.

It is hard to say in some spots. I think we will see more three and four WR sets, more one-back sets (perhaps with three WRs and a hands-down TE), and more two RB backfield sets (vs. one RB and on HB).

Because of this I expect to see more of our WRs play. I think Melvin Ray will be a bigger contributor. Also, we may see more jet sweeps with Louis next year.

I expect the running game will be a combination of power and outside zone read/inverted veer, and less traditional inside zone read we saw with Nick Marshall. For those reasons I think Roc will play more RB, and Louis will be in the game to provide the jet sweep.

With JJ less of a runner, I think we will see a true Wildcat package at certain times.

I think Coleman moves to right tackle or guard. There may be some other shake-ups on the line.

I really don't think we have seen anything out of Tony Stevens to think he will be a productive WR, yet. Coates and Duke both missed time this year and Stevens couldn't even capitalize in terms of receptions. What's the issue there?

We did piss poor period against Georgia overall and for the rest of the TAMU game, we just basically threw to Quan or ran the ball. He hasn't been a real focal point of this offense, like Marcus Davis, Dominic Walker, Stanton, Fulse, etc. When he's gotten the ball to him though, he's averaged over 13 yards I believe, so he's pretty nice at YAC.

Thanks for the info. I just hope he can step in and be productive. His speed is going to be absolutely critical in keeping the safeties back and we are going to need him to be a threat to catch one deep like Sammie Coates was.

He isn't gonna have the same speed per se (how many people do) but he should be good enough

It is hard to say in some spots. I think we will see more three and four WR sets, more one-back sets (perhaps with three WRs and a hands-down TE), and more two RB backfield sets (vs. one RB and on HB).

Because of this I expect to see more of our WRs play. I think Melvin Ray will be a bigger contributor. Also, we may see more jet sweeps with Louis next year.

I expect the running game will be a combination of power and outside zone read/inverted veer, and less traditional inside zone read we saw with Nick Marshall. For those reasons I think Roc will play more RB, and Louis will be in the game to provide the jet sweep.

With JJ less of a runner, I think we will see a true Wildcat package at certain times.

I think Coleman moves to right tackle or guard. There may be some other shake-ups on the line.

A lot of this sounds right to me. If Coleman moves to right tackle or guard, who do you think takes over at LT? Avery Young?

I think the battle for center will be a big key for the offense. We have been spoiled for years by Reese Dismukes and replacing him is going to be tough. Dampeer was good when he got on the field and obviously Golson has a big chance to step up, but replacing a guy good enough to win the Remington award is tough.

If Jaylon Denson can get over his injuries, I expect he'll be a contributor in the WR rotation.

There were rumors across some boards saying he was done with football all together. TIFWIW.

QB - Jeremy Johnson

RB - Jovon Robinson

RB - Roc Thomas

HB - Batten/Pettway/Cox

WR - Duke Williams/ Tony Stevens

WR - Melvin Ray/ Ricardo Louis

WR - Marcus Davis/ Stanton Truitt

TE - Chris Laye

LT - Shon Coleman

LG - Alex Kozan

C - Austin Golson

RG - Braden Smith

RT - Avery Young

I think we forget that the heir apparent to the Prosch role was Gage Batten before he was injured

I couldn't agree more the kid showed potential as a walk-on He has the prototypical size at 6"1" 240 pounds and he liked to block. Cox may grow into the role but at 225 pounds he would have trouble stopping big D-Linemen and even some big linebackers. Some say Pettway but as bad as we needed an HB last year I would have thought they would have tried him this year and seen if he could do the job.

I like Cox but think he would need a year of adding muscle mass to be able to be a lead blocker for the run or a pass protection blocker. I see him as a special Team player with some HB coming out of the backfield routes or maybe a Redshirt to get him ready to be out HB in the future.

Two-deep:

QB - Johnson / White

HB - Pettway / Cox

TE - Laye / Harris

WR - Stevens / Ray

WR - Louis / Burton

SL - Williams / Wallace

SL - Davis / Truitt

LT - Coleman / Ivey

LG - Kozan / Danzey

C - Golson / Dampeer

RG - Young / Adams

RT - Smith / Leff

I think this is a good list.

A few thoughts: I think SW will give JJ a run for his money, but JJ will win out in the end (Having 2 good QBs is a very good thing)

We're loaded with unproven talent at RB. It will be interesting to see how they develop.

I think CC will soon become a Prosch type bulldozer. I am really excited about him!

Duke will be the main guy, but look for a few WRs to have breakout type years. Not sure who. There is a lot of potential in that group.

OL will be strong, but we will miss Reese, especially early. I think Young and Smith will hold down that right side, but not sure who plays G and who plays T yet, could go either way.

I am expecting another record breaking year from our O, the most balanced O we've had in a long time.

Two-deep:

QB - Johnson / White

HB - Pettway / Cox

TE - Laye / Harris

WR - Stevens / Ray

WR - Louis / Burton

SL - Williams / Wallace

SL - Davis / Truitt

LT - Coleman / Ivey

LG - Kozan / Danzey

C - Golson / Dampeer

RG - Young / Adams

RT - Smith / Leff

I think this is a good list.

A few thoughts: I think SW will give JJ a run for his money, but JJ will win out in the end (Having 2 good QBs is a very good thing)

We're loaded with unproven talent at RB. It will be interesting to see how they develop.

I think CC will soon become a Prosch type bulldozer. I am really excited about him!

Duke will be the main guy, but look for a few WRs to have breakout type years. Not sure who. There is a lot of potential in that group.

OL will be strong, but we will miss Reese, especially early. I think Young and Smith will hold down that right side, but not sure who plays G and who plays T yet, could go either way.

I am expecting another record breaking year from our O, the most balanced O we've had in a long time.

I'm with you on CC. It will be close battle between Pettway and Cox at HB. They also have some decent contributors at HB (Batten, Sitzler and Wood). Solid depth at HB! Finally!

I'd be SHOCKED if Cox does not start at FB. Kid is a baller.

I believe he will be a baller no doubt, but I don't think he is physically ready to handle the grind of being a fulltime SEC fullback physically. Eric Smith was so banged up by the end of the year but he handled that job.

I am confident that an immensely talented and dedicated guy who was 225 lbs when he graduated high school and who will participate in spring practices will be ready to play SEC football by fall.

I am confident that an immensely talented and dedicated guy who was 225 lbs when he graduated high school and who will participate in spring practices will be ready to play SEC football by fall.

Sure; but Pettway is no slouch in the talent department himself and is already more physically ready at 240+ pounds. I think that Cox has a good chance to contribute right away, but I don't think its a given at all that he's the automatic starter.

Also, don't assume that just because he is listed as 225 pounds that he is in fact 225 pounds. Most HS kids are smaller than what they list. A FB/HB like Cox would have even more incentive to label himself as heavier.

Sure; but Pettway is no slouch in the talent department himself and is already more physically ready at 240+ pounds. I think that Cox has a good chance to contribute right away, but I don't think its a given at all that he's the automatic starter.

Also, don't assume that just because he is listed as 225 pounds that he is in fact 225 pounds. Most HS kids are smaller than what they list. A FB/HB like Cox would have even more incentive to label himself as heavier.

Agreed about Pettway- man, he looks like a prototype for the position on paper- but I don't think he really has anything to do with whether or not Cox will be ready physically.

Good point about Cox's actual weight, though. I suppose I just look at his photos and see a pretty jacked dude. He even looks pretty big standing next to Ivey.

My real rant- which is not in response to you, metafour- is that we hold some bad assumptions about measurables. Mainly, folks obsess over the "bigger is better" idea. (Golf, have a field day with that one.)

Agreed about Pettway- man, he looks like a prototype for the position on paper- but I don't think he really has anything to do with whether or not Cox will be ready physically.

Good point about Cox's actual weight, though. I suppose I just look at his photos and see a pretty jacked dude. He even looks pretty big standing next to Ivey.

My real rant- which is not in response to you, metafour- is that we hold some bad assumptions about measurables. Mainly, folks obsess over the "bigger is better" idea. (Golf, have a field day with that one.)

Bigger is not always better, look at the conversations about real tall CB's but there is a range that is good for a position. The HB who has to be a plow horse on runs, and able to pick up Blitzing linebackers or D-Linemen who beat their man need a certain amount of size just because of physics. I would guess the range would be 225-265 with 240 to 250 being ideal as you need to be able to move and get to where the block is needed. There is no doubt that technique can compensate for being a little bit to light for a position but it can't overcome everything. Cox as currently list at 225 is on the very low end for the position now since he is already in school he has time to put on some muscle mass. The difference between being a blocking back in HS and in the SEC is substantial. Do I think he will get some PT next year yes but do I think he will be ready to be an every down HB for Auburn next year in my opinion no. I think Batten will be that person assuming he is healthy. Pettway might but if so I can't understand why they didn't use him this year when we had a need for a another HB. I think Cox has the potential to be a stud HB down the road but I think some people are expecting to much for a freshman.

QB: Johnson

RB: Barber

HB: Pettway

LT: Coleman

LG: Kozan

C: Golson

RG: Young

RT: Smith

WR: Dook

WR: Davis

WR: Rico

I'm also not sure how much HB play we will see this year, or if we would just go with a 6 man front.

Archived