Who do you think our starting 11 will be on Offense next year?

Dual-Threat Rigby

QB: Johnson

RB: Barber

HB: Pettway

LT: Coleman

LG: Kozan

C: Golson

RG: Young

RT: Smith

WR: Dook

WR: Davis

WR: Rico

I'm also not sure how much HB play we will see this year, or if we would just go with a 6 man front.

A base formation with a 6 man front, 3 receivers, and 3 backs would be GREAT in my opinion. Especially if you have the inverted veer installed, you could say run the read look with Robinson and then run the pitch look with Thomas. Like on NCAA 14. Would be amazing.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A base formation with a 6 man front, 3 receivers, and 3 backs would be GREAT in my opinion. Especially if you have the inverted veer installed, you could say run the read look with Robinson and then run the pitch look with Thomas. Like on NCAA 14. Would be amazing.

Yeah, but you'd lose 5 yards a play for having 12 men on the field. :dunno:

Yeah, but you'd lose 5 yards a play for having 12 men on the field. :dunno:/>

I miscounted along the way

Whoever the coaching staff deems are the best 11 on each side of the ball.

MM has said on several occasions that he thought AU might go after another TE type. I don't know if it was in response to the loss of Jakell Mitchell who many had penciled end for TE (CJ role). With BF and CJU graduating we now have no 4* athletes at TE. Gus may not be planning to use TE as much or maybe use a backup tackle for short yardage blocking. Anyway haven't heard any talk about trying to find or flip a 4* TE. Too late for a JUCO. A couple of our big wideouts could probably play some TE in a pinch. Be interesting to see how it all plays out in spring.

MM has said on several occasions that he thought AU might go after another TE type. I don't know if it was in response to the loss of Jakell Mitchell who many had penciled end for TE (CJ role). With BF and CJU graduating we now have no 4* athletes at TE. Gus may not be planning to use TE as much or maybe use a backup tackle for short yardage blocking. Anyway haven't heard any talk about trying to find or flip a 4* TE. Too late for a JUCO. A couple of our big wideouts could probably play some TE in a pinch. Be interesting to see how it all plays out in spring.

Jalen Thompson could contribute in time. Laye could as well. Chandler Cox will be a big time contributor as well.

I think Cox fits what we'll need for Jeremy a lot of the time...he'll be usually in the pocket so you have a big bodied guy who can supposedly block there. Same with Batten. Hopefully they can catch too and that adds an extra dimension.

Jalen Thompson could contribute in time. Laye could as well. Chandler Cox will be a big time contributor as well.

Jalen Harris, not Jalen Thompson

Jalen Harris, not Jalen Thompson

Thanks, that's what I meant.

I believe Jaylon Denson could move to TE. He played there his senior year in high school.

He might not be on the team next season.

IMO Melvin Ray will have provide a big lift. Not only can he make tough catches but he also can provide some solid blocking. I also hope Jaylon Denson can turn things around. He was having a good season in 2013 until the injury in the LSU game.

IMO Melvin Ray will have provide a big lift. Not only can he make tough catches but he also can provide some solid blocking. I also hope Jaylon Denson can turn things around. He was having a good season in 2013 until the injury in the LSU game.

He had 3 catches for 45 yards...He was an elite blocker but good season might be stretching it. He was supposedly our best receiver in the preseason though so the potential was there.

This, along with the fact we will have pocket passing QBs, is why I think we will play more true 3-WR sets with two RBs, and maybe some true 4-WR sets with one RB. Kamryn Pettway (redshirt freshman RB) and Chandler Cox (true freshman FB) both may find time at H-Back.

I think Cox fits what we'll need for Jeremy a lot of the time...he'll be usually in the pocket so you have a big bodied guy who can supposedly block there. Same with Batten. Hopefully they can catch too and that adds an extra dimension.

Great point. Cox could provide additional pass protection while Roc releases into the flat as a receiver ... um, maybe the other way around.

Two-deep:

QB - Johnson / White

Bruiser - Robinson / Barber

Scatback - Thomas / Johnson

HB - Pettway / Cox

TE - Laye / Harris

WR - Stevens / Ray

WR - Louis / Burton

SL - Williams / Wallace

SL - Davis / Truitt

LT - Coleman / Ivey

LG - Kozan / Danzey

C - Golson / Dampeer

RG - Young / Adams

RT - Smith / Leff

I think you are on the money

Denson is a big question mark. This latest injury, while I don't know how bad physically it is, is another mental hurdle to have to get over. He's rehabbing and we'll just have to see how things go. It would be a shame if he is unable to make it back.

Chandler Cox reminds of a fullback in the 90s named Heath Evans.

Chandler Cox reminds of a fullback in the 90s named Heath Evans.

Man, his junior year was a fun year. Rudy Johnson burst onto the scene from JUCO (I think) and almost became a Heisman finalist. Both Evans and Rudy were gone after that season. I went to every home game that year.

Sorry, I know that isn't on topic, but just had to rehash that memory.

Archived