Early Polls/Respect... different point of view

corchjay

I've looked through the threads on the board and seen a lot of information about 2015 and rankings and the sign of respect that we are getting now nationally. I'm happy about that. Really I am.

BUT...

a little perspective. We have a 4 game losing streak going now against power 5 conference teams. It could very easily be at 7 instead of 4 if USCjr finds a way to score right at the end of the game and the Ole Miss receiver doesn't fumble going into the endzone. Not saying we wouldn't have taken the ball after the score and gone down to win but we would have been in a bad place.

Also, we have lost our starting QB, RB, and a top draft pick WR. Our special teams were below average at best last year with the exception of FG kicking and punt return. The rest were horrible.

My thoughts going forward for next year...

We better find some leadership on this team, accountability, and desire again (edge as CGM calls it).

We need to find our 5 best OL and keep them there unless injury occurs.

Shore up special teams.

Find a more complex route tree for our receivers. Our passing routes are very basic and if Jeremy is going to sling it around 35-40 times a game our routes better become a little more complex.

Stop the run on defense. We have to be able to win the line of scrimmage. We have 4 and 5 stars all over the front 7. It's time to play like it, regardless of how the back end plays.

And absolutely stop getting blown out by our 2 big rivals. So sick of getting beat by UGA... and losing by more then a TD to the tide.

War Eagle as always

With the talent we've recruited since Gus took over, plus the great coaching staff he has brought in, and we have a more favorable schedule next season, we are getting respect because of all of this. We are starting to build a lot of talented depth too. If we land the recruiting class we COULD in a few weeks... There will be A LOT of national talk about us and Malzahn and doing really well this next season.

My opinion is that it doesn't matter how fast a car looks. If it isn't fast on the track it means nothing and last year we weren't winning the races. Potential means nothing. Results matter.

I've looked through the threads on the board and seen a lot of information about 2015 and rankings and the sign of respect that we are getting now nationally. I'm happy about that. Really I am.

BUT...

a little perspective. We have a 4 game losing streak going now against power 5 conference teams. It could very easily be at 7 instead of 4 if USCjr finds a way to score right at the end of the game and the Ole Miss receiver doesn't fumble going into the endzone. Not saying we wouldn't have taken the ball after the score and gone down to win but we would have been in a bad place.

Also, we have lost our starting QB, RB, and a top draft pick WR. Our special teams were below average at best last year with the exception of FG kicking and punt return. The rest were horrible.

We better find some leadership on this team, accountability, and desire again (edge as CGM calls it).

Shore up special teams.

Find a more complex route tree for our receivers. Our passing routes are very basic and if Jeremy is going to sling it around 35-40 times a game our routes better become a little more complex.

Stop the run on defense. We have to be able to win the line of scrimmage. We have 4 and 5 stars all over the front 7. It's time to play like it, regardless of how the back end plays.

And absolutely stop getting blown out by our 2 big rivals. So sick of getting beat by UGA... and losing by more then a TD to the tide.

War Eagle as always

I don't get the WR route thing. Actually, I don't really understand any complaints about the offense. Aside from some play calls in the redzone in a couple of games, there's nothing really to complain about. Marshall passed 450+ yards against bama and there are complaints about routes? Play better defensively and we've likely won 10-11 games. Offensive production at the UGA game was horrible, I agree, but putting up 44 against bama should be a win every time. I certainly agree with all the defense complaints though, but it looks like there is a course of action for that.

I think that everything will come together next season. They definitely look like they should on paper. But you never know. I really hope that JJ can be more than just a QB and can be the leader of the offense. Especially looking to our senior LB's to put the past few years of bad defenses behind them and step up and play some hard hitting football.

We've got the players to go all the way and win the National Championship. It's just a matter of getting them to all gel together, especially on defense. Need better kick coverage. Definitely need someone to step up and take over the punting. We will require a couple or so games to make sure the offensive line combination is working right. If we get that right and add the blocking from the H-back spot, this offense, with JJ, will be even more deadly than it was in 2013. Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

We've got the players to go all the way and win the National Championship. It's just a matter of getting them to all gel together, especially on defense. Need better kick coverage. Definitely need someone to step up and take over the punting. We will require a couple or so games to make sure the offensive line combination is working right. If we get that right and add the blocking from the H-back spot, this offense, with JJ, will be even more deadly than it was in 2013. Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Very interesting to say the least. I think this team is going to look completely different on offense and defense. Especially on defense, but offensively I can't wait to see what we look like with a pro style passer. When was the last time we had more of a throwing QB that was successful. Jason Campbell?

Very interesting to say the least. I think this team is going to look completely different on offense and defense. Especially on defense, but offensively I can't wait to see what we look like with a pro style passer. When was the last time we had more of a throwing QB that was successful. Jason Campbell?

Well Gus did wonders with Chris Todd in 09 and he couldn't run a lick. Jason and JJ are a lot alike although I think JJ is a bit better at being able to run.

We should be stellar next year.

Our biggest problem last year was inconsistency, especially on the defensive side of the ball. With Muschamp, that problem should be fixed.

With JJ at QB, we will be fine. Duke is back as is Ricardo Louis. Running backs with Jovon, Roc, Peyton, Kerryon, and Pettyway, we are more than fine.

Glad Cass and Frost are back. D-Line should be better with Lawson back to health.

I think the route trees were really simple because we didn't have a QB Gus felt comfortable calling upon to make certain throws. I think it will expand this coming year.

Special teams is a concern for sure, and we just don't know how JJ will react to the game being on the line. That will be critical because I still think we will be in some shootouts.

We saw slant routes used in earnest this past season for the first time under Gus. That made me sooooo happy. I never understood why we never just threw the quick slant on 2nd- or 3rd-and-short. The offense continues to evolve. It's beautiful.

We saw slant routes used in earnest this past season for the first time under Gus. That made me sooooo happy. I never understood why we never just threw the quick slant on 2nd- or 3rd-and-short. The offense continues to evolve. It's beautiful.

We did it the more Marshall progressed as a passer

Yup, and when JJ was in there vs Arky I think we ran them a couple times. I know for sure Duke took one for a long gain off of a slant route and JJ hit him right on the money -- it was beautiful lol

Yup, and when JJ was in there vs Arky I think we ran them a couple times. I know for sure Duke took one for a long gain off of a slant route and JJ hit him right on the money -- it was beautiful lol

We use slants a lot more when JJ is in the game iirc. A taller QB helps a ton for making that throw.

We use slants a lot more when JJ is in the game iirc. A taller QB helps a ton for making that throw.

plus it seems the secondary seems to give Jeremy a 3-5 yard cushion a lot of the time, because of that intermediate accuracy.

BUT...

Shore up special teams.

War Eagle as always

Agree with everything you posted.

wde

BUT...

Shore up special teams.

War Eagle as always

Amen and amen.

Most people have us in the top 15, which with the slightly improved defense should be the baseline.

If we go under the top 15 at any point after week 3-4, Malzahn is gonna need a reevaluation.

Anathema.

Everyone knew we would have at least 2 losses last year with the schedule.

This year, we have Boom Bros, the corn dogs are down, and we have the turds at home.

Ought to be a great season. And if it's not, I'll look forward to what Auburn can do in it's second year under 2 top-10 coaches on each side of the ball.

Most people have us in the top 15, which with the slightly improved defense should be the baseline.

If we go under the top 15 at any point after week 3-4, Malzahn is gonna need a reevaluation.

Anathema.

Everyone knew we would have at least 2 losses last year with the schedule.

This year, we have Boom Bros, the corn dogs are down, and we have the turds at home.

Ought to be a great season. And if it's not, I'll look forward to what Auburn can do in it's second year under 2 top-10 coaches on each side of the ball.

And leg humpers at home

Unless we have a rash of injuries to key players.

• 8 months later...

I wanted to revisit a topic I created in January just to see what I saw moving forward. I think I have a decent eye for talent and understand our offense. Defensively I'm average at best... But from my post let's see where we have changed from my perspective since January...

Route tree is horrible for a college team. I'm dead serious we could not have a more basic passing attack.

Edge? I see no edge from our offense. Avery young looking at you. Duke Williams looking at you. Both multi year starters should dominate their opponents.

Special teams look a hair better.

Defense. Still aren't controlling the line of scrimmage.

Went back and looked at a couple threads with comments about preseason rankings. Not many of you folks want to bet your reputations on the comments that were being made in January and August 2015.....AU picked to win the SEC West and SEC Championship. Boy....how that came crashing down.

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

You sure that's not the 2014 rankings? Losing most of our offense and defense (if you look at the stats) ....well, hope they are right but frankly I had more confidence in our pre-season ranking before this past season than I do with this one.

Inexperience is killing us all over the field....amazing that so many of us just ignored what losing all those seniors was going to mean.

Archived