Sean White 247 Article

Weegle777

Wouldn't be surprised to see Sean emerge as the starter.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Mentor-sees-the-it-factor-in-freshman-Auburn-QB-Sean-White-34729067

Ken Mastrole has coached and mentored Auburn freshman quarterback Sean White since the eighth grade, and he says he believes White will have something to say about the race to be the Tigers' starting quarterback.

Sean White will compete for Auburn's starting quarterback position in the spring. (Photo: 247Sports)

Mastrole is a former college quarterback at Maryland. He played in in the NFL and NFL Europe. A native of Fort Lauderdale, Mastrole has trained the likes of E.J. Manuel, Tahj Boyd and Teddy Bridgewater. White, he says, is ready for the challenge.

With the departure of Nick Marshall, the Tigers' quarterback position is up for grabs. Junior Jeremy Johnson is the frontrunner for the starting job, with even Auburn coaches saying Johnson has the "leg up" on White.

But Mastrole says White will "go in there and compete."

"He has a really good relationship with Jeremy, speaks highly of him," Mastrole said. "But he’s a competitor and we'll see where it goes. He wants his play to speak for itself, and if it’s good enough, then so be it.”

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't be surprised to see Sean emerge as the starter.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Mentor-sees-the-it-factor-in-freshman-Auburn-QB-Sean-White-34729067

Ken Mastrole has coached and mentored Auburn freshman quarterback Sean White since the eighth grade, and he says he believes White will have something to say about the race to be the Tigers' starting quarterback.

Sean White will compete for Auburn's starting quarterback position in the spring. (Photo: 247Sports)

Mastrole is a former college quarterback at Maryland. He played in in the NFL and NFL Europe. A native of Fort Lauderdale, Mastrole has trained the likes of E.J. Manuel, Tahj Boyd and Teddy Bridgewater. White, he says, is ready for the challenge.

With the departure of Nick Marshall, the Tigers' quarterback position is up for grabs. Junior Jeremy Johnson is the frontrunner for the starting job, with even Auburn coaches saying Johnson has the "leg up" on White.

But Mastrole says White will "go in there and compete."

"He has a really good relationship with Jeremy, speaks highly of him," Mastrole said. "But he’s a competitor and we'll see where it goes. He wants his play to speak for itself, and if it’s good enough, then so be it.”

I do not think this will happen. I do hope the coaches give Sean significant PT though. Just look at Ohio State this year. They needed 3 QBs and their QBs all performed really well.

I don't think that he will come out and win the starting job, but it is nice to know that we should have a guy who can step in and still be productive at the QB position. I say should because we haven't seen this kid play yet and really don't know what he is capable of. Competition in practice is never a bad thing either. Always great to have your starting QB being pushed to get better every week knowing there's a guy behind him who has the talent to start as well.

He is the second coming of Drew Bree's by all accounts. He is mobile in the pocket, incredibly accurate, and has amazing football instincts and vision, even for a QB. He is one of those guys that just sees the field. He won the elite 11 because his accuracy and touch complimented his 60-70 yard arm strength. He was the MVP of the UA AA game after being a late invite, picking up an offense he hadn't played in before and throwing to receivers he had no chemistry with. Usually the MVPs are on D because there is not rhythm on offense on such short notice. Sean still lit them up for over 150 yds and 2 tds in about a quarter of play. He is what many refer to as a gamer. I think JJ will start and will earn it, but I think Sean will do to JJ, what JJ did to Nick make him better. What should scare everyone else is that if JJ gets hurt we may have the second best QB in the SEC as his back up, again.

He is the second coming of Drew Bree's by all accounts. He is mobile in the pocket, incredibly accurate, and has amazing football instincts and vision, even for a QB. He is one of those guys that just sees the field. He won the elite 11 because his accuracy and touch complimented his 60-70 yard arm strength. He was the MVP of the UA AA game after being a late invite, picking up an offense he hadn't played in before and throwing to receivers he had no chemistry with. Usually the MVPs are on D because there is not rhythm on offense on such short notice. Sean still lit them up for over 150 yds and 2 tds in about a quarter of play. He is what many refer to as a gamer. I think JJ will start and will earn it, but I think Sean will do to JJ, what JJ did to Nick make him better. What should scare everyone else is that if JJ gets hurt we may have the second best QB in the SEC as his back up, again.

I seriously hope that your prediction of the second coming of Drew Brees is right. I just want to see this kid get some snaps in a game, hopefully one we have already won and not a situation where JJ gets hurt.

I don't think he'll beat out JJ for the job. Barring injury to JJ, the idea that White might win the job is very odd. Of course, the guy quoted in that article has "coached and mentored" White since the 8th grade so what would he be expected to say?

I like this post.

White, coming out of HS, is one of the most accurate QBs I have ever seen. If he would have had receivers at his HS, he would have been a consensus 5 star.

That being said, I do not see anyone beating out JJ. JJ has proven what he can do, on the field. White will be a good backup QB and will be ready to go if needed.

Like running back, we are well set at the QB position.

I'm a big fan of Sean White; but I hope we don't need him to start for the next two years.

Would like to see him come in a lot during the 4th quarter, though.

I'm a big fan of Sean White; but I hope we don't need him to start for the next two years.

Amen to that one. That would be great if we could do what FSU did with Winston in 2013 and have JJ on the bench by the middle of the third qtr.

White was recruited and signed because the coaches liked what they saw and thought he could compete, so it could happen, but I'd be surprised if Johnson (barring injury/unforeseen issues) isn't the starter. Still, it will be interesting come spring and fall camp. And regardless of who wins the starting job, I feel pretty good knowing that the other is there to come in if needed. AU's QB position is in good shape.

Amen to that one. That would be great if we could do what FSU did with Winston in 2013 and have JJ on the bench by the middle of the third qtr.

You guys forget that we are Auburn...Famous for knocking years lives off of its fan base with unnecessarily close games against not top talent teams.

I love JJ and saw him play in high school quite a few times. I was very impressed. However, Sean White was the best throwing QB coming out of high school that I have ever seen. His accuracy is stunning. It should be quite a battle.

You guys forget that we are Auburn...Famous for knocking years lives off of its fan base with unnecessarily close games against not top talent teams.

I know but it would be nice to not have to do that for once. We can always hope

Not forgetting, just hoping we decide to dominate this year.

;D

I don't think he'll beat out JJ for the job. Barring injury to JJ, the idea that White might win the job is very odd. Of course, the guy quoted in that article has "coached and mentored" White since the 8th grade so what would he be expected to say?

No, it's not. Change "might" to "probably will" or "should" and you'd have a point.

JJ did very well in one half against a bad defense who had spent all offseason preparing for Nick Marshall and against barely-better-than-high-school competition. He's the physical prototype for the position and will likely not only start, but play at an extremely high level. But to suggest that another guy on the roster might be as good or better is not "odd". Not sure what's so offensive to folks around here about the word "might". Does it make your brains grumpy to do the extra work of considering more than one possibility?

As bikeriderga alludes to, the real takeaway from this should be that, wow, our backup might be really good.

And as JFDTiger80 pointed out, Ohio State's 3rd string QB just won a national championship and had to hold a press conference to announce that he's staying another year while Braxton Miller is transferring.

Malzahn is spoiling us with these QBs. Cam, Marshall, Johnson, White. I can always remember thinking why can't Auburn sign any elite quarter backs. I think it would be very difficult for White to pass Jeremy, but if Jeremy is the NFL talent he's projected to be he might be gone next year anyway?

Malzahn is spoiling us with these QBs. Cam, Marshall, Johnson, White. I can always remember thinking why can't Auburn sign any elite quarter backs. I think it would be very difficult for White to pass Jeremy, but if Jeremy is the NFL talent he's projected to be he might be gone next year anyway?

I doubt it. Cam left after only one year but he was out there in a class all by himself. Anything is possible but I think JJ plays out his eligibility here.

Amen to that!

I have to be honest here. Outside of injury, if SW beats out JJ for QB, we have major QB issues. While yes, AU recruited him and signed him, we were the only SEC team to offer. In fact most of his offers come from what is considered a little lower tiered schools (Cincy, UCF, WF). Teams that we normally are not having to compete with to sign players.

I am just not buying the hype of SW. My perception is that he was pretty late take for us and other guys will eventually pass him on the depth chart.

Just my opinion which is usually wrong.

Archived