NOAA says 2014 was warmest year worldwide on record

AUDub

I'm just going on the evidence, solid evidence.

Clearly, you are not. If you were relying on the evidence, you would realize just how capable we are of changing our planet.

And that is the fact that the earth is still here, thriving, bursting with new species every year, and outliving the all-powerful mighty human being. What more evidence do you need?

The earth is not "bursting with new species every year." We are discovering new species every year. It is just extremely likely we are wiping them out far, far faster than we are discovering them.

And the earth thrived before we existed, and it can do so again. The way you're arguing, your concern for the planet outweighs your concern for your species.

A Princeton study on hypotheticals isn't needed for that.

It's not. Pointing out the obvious to you on this matter requires no Ivy League education.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just going on the evidence, solid evidence.

Clearly, you are not. If you were relying on the evidence, you would realize just how capable we are of changing our planet.

And that is the fact that the earth is still here, thriving, bursting with new species every year, and outliving the all-powerful mighty human being. What more evidence do you need?

The earth is not "bursting with new species every year." We are discovering new species every year. It is just extremely likely we are wiping them out far, far faster than we are discovering them.

And the earth thrived before we existed, and it can do so again. The way you're arguing, your concern for the planet outweighs your concern for your species.

A Princeton study on hypotheticals isn't needed for that.

It's not. Pointing out the obvious to you on this matter requires no Ivy League education.

Now you are resorting to semantics to argue the hypotheticals. You guys scream, "show me proof!", yet ignore it on behalf of ivy league studies that show what "might" happen instead of opening your eyes and looking around. And what evidence do you have? When have we, human beings, wiped our own selves out? We haven't. I do care about our "species" as I care also about the planet, but I refuse to allow a "study" of an event that "could" happen to force me to ignore the proof right in front of me. Stop allowing yourselves to be freaked out and relax.

You both make valid points. The earth has survived and thrived for thousands (or millions) of years. That being said, as Ben stated, mankind has been quite destructive to the planet. Who is to say that mankind won't be the end of the planet? Or maybe we are resourceful and intelligent enough to help it stay around for many more years. The truth is, we just have to wait and see.

Wait? We can't wait !! We are already past al gore's deadline for destruction !! :jossun:

Sure, if that were to ever happen. What's your point?

Species are already dying out left and right. Google "Holocene Extinction Event."

Amazingly, as these "mass" extinctions occur, over 1000 "new" species have been found in New Guinea. And that is just in a ten year span.As I said, the earth is quite a tough and salty old girl.

http://news.discover...inea-110627.htm

Recently discovered species are hardly "new". You may find this hard to believe but there are many species we have not discovered.

That, of course, has nothing to do with the current extinction.

Yet science says that there could be over 20 million new species yet to be discovered. She just keeps re-generating herself.

:slapfh:

Weegs, please.

These are not being newly created, we are discovering them. You don't see the difference?

A species takes millions of years to develop. But they can become extinct in a tiny fraction of that time. Many of the species that are dying off haven't been discovered by man.

Like I've said before, it will take something much, much, much more powerful than mere humans to destroy a space body that has endured constant thrashing for millions of years.

First, that's not an accurate assertion. No one has said anything about "destroying" the earth.

More importantly, you have zero scientific basis to claim it's impossible for man to disrupt the global climate. Just the opposite.

We won't. We aren't as powerful as we like to think we are. You should know that. This planet has proven over millions of years, (if you are inclined to believe that the earth is that old), that she cannot and will not be destroyed by man or natural disaster. Only God Himself can do that.

And thus we get to the root of Weeg's argument. It has nothing to do with evidence. It's about faith.

Like I said, you can't argue against simple and misplaced religious belief.

Wait? We can't wait !! We are already past al gore's deadline for destruction !! :jossun:/>

Well he did invent the Internet. Let him slide on missing the deadline for destruction.

The earth will still regulate itself. Relax. It has for "millions" of years.

Again Weegs. We aren't talking about the earth. We are talking about the earth's current environment and ecosystem. The earth is pretty much guaranteed to be here for the next 7 billion years or so. Then, it's pfffffffft.

http://www.universetoday.com/16338/the-sun/

Now you are resorting to semantics to argue the hypotheticals. You guys scream, "show me proof!", yet ignore it on behalf of ivy league studies that show what "might" happen instead of opening your eyes and looking around. And what evidence do you have?

We poked a massive hole in our own planets ozone layer. How's that for evidence that we have wrought great change?

And anti-intellectualism is duly noted.

When have we, human beings, wiped our own selves out? We haven't.

No one suggested that. There is evidence that our species has had a genetic bottleneck, though.

I do care about our "species" as I care also about the planet, but I refuse to allow a "study" of an event that "could" happen to force me to ignore the proof right in front of me. Stop allowing yourselves to be freaked out and relax.

Who's freaked out?

We won't. We aren't as powerful as we like to think we are. You should know that. This planet has proven over millions of years, (if you are inclined to believe that the earth is that old), that she cannot and will not be destroyed by man or natural disaster. Only God Himself can do that.

And thus we get to the root of Weeg's argument. It has nothing to do with evidence. It's about faith.

Has zero to do with faith and everything to do with the evidence. Relax.

Has zero to do with faith and everything to do with the evidence. Relax.

Right. :-\

Starting with the belief that God has got it, I am sure you can make up all the evidence you need.

You guys are getting all worked up over nothing. Go outside and enjoy the sunny 55 degree gorgeous weather we are having. Be careful of that "GIANT GAPING HOLE IN THE OZONE!!" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

You guys are getting all worked up over nothing. Go outside and enjoy the sunny 55 degree gorgeous weather we are having. Be careful of that "GIANT GAPING HOLE IN THE OZONE!!" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

People who don't deal well with criticism or contradiction tend to find ways of marginalizing that criticism. Suggesting that one's interlocutor is emotional (at the same time implying that one is not) is one of those diversionary tactics.

What you are perpetrating now is the hasty conclusion fallacy--where there's smoke, there's fire. See if you can turn that into evidence that i'm freaking out, and everything will be hunky-dory.

People who don't deal well with criticism or contradiction tend to find ways of marginalizing that criticism. Suggesting that one's interlocutor is emotional (at the same time implying that one is not) is one of those diversionary tactics.

What you are perpetrating now is the hasty conclusion fallacy--where there's smoke, there's fire. See if you can turn that into evidence that i'm freaking out, and everything will be hunky-dory.

Denial is the classic response of cognitive dissonance. Disparaging the messenger is just an aspect of it.

But your point is well taken. A deliberate attempt to counter - or educate if you will - a totally ignorant position does not mean the educator is freaking out.

Regardless, over the long haul, man will figure it out. Unfortunately, thanks to said willful ignorance - including misplaced religious conviction - an enormous amount of damage will have occurred by the time that happens.

Our lifetimes - and our visions - are much too short for it to be otherwise I suppose. If there is a God, it is undoubtedly enjoying the experiment. ;D

http://www.washingto...e40e_story.html

Earth’s protective ozone layer is beginning to recover, a U.N. panel reports

This is a good example of what kind of positive effect this kind of regulation can have. Phasing out CFCs worked, though the replacement has its own issues. Namely, being a powerful GHG in its own right.

Denial is the classic response of cognitive dissonance. Disparaging the messenger is just an aspect of it.

But your point is well taken. A deliberate attempt to counter - or educate if you will - a totally ignorant position does not mean the educator is freaking out.

Regardless, over the long haul, man will figure it out. Unfortunately, thanks to said willful ignorance - including misplaced religious conviction - an enormous amount of damage will have occurred by the time that happens.

Our lifetimes - and our visions - are much too short for it to be otherwise I suppose. If there is a God, it is undoubtedly enjoying the experiment. ;D/>

Sweet fancy Moses, now they have broken into psychiatry! :laugh:

Look guys, we can keep posting the same old crap post after post with you guys resorting to empty intellectual insults and my laughing at your panic ridden existence. It really doesn't make a difference. In the end we will all still be faceless, anonymous posters wasting time arguing senseless GW topics, when all the while we could be enjoying the beautiful weather we have outside. Either way, you both really do make me laugh. Panic away!

Sweet fancy Moses, now they have broken into psychiatry! :laugh:

Look guys, we can keep posting the same old crap post after post with you guys resorting to empty intellectual insults and my laughing at your panic ridden existence. It really doesn't make a difference. In the end we will all still be faceless, anonymous posters wasting time arguing senseless GW topics, when all the while we could be enjoying the beautiful weather we have outside. Either way, you both really do make me laugh. Panic away!

I haven't insulted anyone. I pointed out a fallacy that you committed.

I am never angry or "freaking out" on this forum, and I have never panicked about AGW, but I am disgusted from time to time. This is one of those times. I really need to quit dignifying you with responses. It's a waste of my time.

It's 60 degrees and sunny outside now. ;D/>

Enjoy it. I'm in a basement shop waiting for a hypo/hyperthermia device to run through an alarm sequence, which I will be doing for the rest of my day.

Archived