NOAA says 2014 was warmest year worldwide on record

AUDub

You guys are getting all worked up over nothing. Go outside and enjoy the sunny 55 degree gorgeous weather we are having. Be careful of that "GIANT GAPING HOLE IN THE OZONE!!" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

People who don't deal well with criticism or contradiction tend to find ways of marginalizing that criticism. Suggesting that one's interlocutor is emotional (at the same time implying that one is not) is one of those diversionary tactics.

What you are perpetrating now is the hasty conclusion fallacy--where there's smoke, there's fire. See if you can turn that into evidence that i'm freaking out, and everything will be hunky-dory.

Denial is the classic response of cognitive dissonance. Disparaging the messenger is just an aspect of it.

But your point is well taken. A deliberate attempt to counter - or educate if you will - a totally ignorant position does not mean the educator is freaking out.

Regardless, over the long haul, man will figure it out. Unfortunately, thanks to said willful ignorance - including misplaced religious conviction - an enormous amount of damage will have occurred by the time that happens.

Our lifetimes - and our visions - are much too short for it to be otherwise I suppose. If there is a God, it is undoubtedly enjoying the experiment. ;D/>

Sweet fancy Moses, now they have broken into psychiatry! :laugh:

Look guys, we can keep posting the same old crap post after post with you guys resorting to empty intellectual insults and my laughing at your panic ridden existence. It really doesn't make a difference. In the end we will all still be faceless, anonymous posters wasting time arguing senseless GW topics, when all the while we could be enjoying the beautiful weather we have outside. Either way, you both really do make me laugh. Panic away!

Characterizing a sober discussion of global warming and other ecological damage as "panic" behavior is exactly what I am referring to by denial.

Just because the implications of changing the earth's climate, not to mention losing a large amount of our genetic "capital" are profound, doesn't mean the probability cannot be discussed. To suggest so is a classic head-in-the-sand reaction.

And trust me, you are going to hear a lot more of such discussions in the future.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived