2016 3* DT Quinnen Williams (Bama commit)

TIGGR82

What's the crisis? And can't be much of a surprise from what I've read in the past. A 3* kid, loved bama....bet AU has "slow walked" him lately he was not at BCW and visiting bama.

No reason to be jumping on Garner IMO....except for people who search for whatever reason they can find to do that type of thing.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are we telling these kids when they commit? "This is no big deal, just change your mind whenever, nobody cares if you swap. We'll just hold a spot for you and not recruit others until you make up your mind." Is it something like that?

I guess I'd be a failure at this recruiting business. Once kid committed and then dropped AU I'd tell him to take a hike and don't darken my door again.

What are we telling these kids when they commit? "This is no big deal, just change your mind whenever, nobody cares if you swap. We'll just hold a spot for you and not recruit others until you make up your mind." Is it something like that?

I guess I'd be a failure at this recruiting business. Once kid committed and then dropped AU I'd tell him to take a hike and don't darken my door again.

You and me....wrong generation to be bowing down at the feet of a 17 year old....and begging him to come to school at AU....and then chasing him relentlessly if he says "no". .....or "don't let the door hit you in the backside" when something like this shows up in the newspaper.

But ...this stuff does not surprise or upset me....I still think it's a privilege to wear an Auburn uniform and only want kids who share that belief.

When Garner was at Georgia the boards were full of posts about how he was killing us as a recruiter. Now that he's at Auburn he's awful. :dunno:

Looking at his results since he's been here I think he's an excellent recruiter and was kept to coach the DL because Gus thinks he's a good coach.

LOL, you really believe this? Garner did kill us as a recruiter at UT and uga. He never was considered an above average DL coach at either UT or uga. Garner was a Jay Jacobs hire (which I was in favor of at the time because I thought his recruiting would compensate for his coaching weakness.) Right now, his recruiting at the position he coaches is worse than his on the field coaching.

wde

You really believe Jay Jacobs makes assistant coach hiring decisions for his head coaches? That's what's funny. Jay Jacobs wouldn't even address Tony Barbee's bloated recruiting budget because he didn't want to give him an excuse for failing. Jay Jacobs is an administrator, and Gus has a very strong personality and isn't about to abdicate hiring and retention decisions. If Gus didn't think Garner could get the job done Garner would be gone.

Been saying this for the longest now. Either u ride with us or collide with us, simple as that.

Knew it was coming. Still sucks. If it was any other position, it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal.

When Garner was at Georgia the boards were full of posts about how he was killing us as a recruiter. Now that he's at Auburn he's awful. :dunno:

Looking at his results since he's been here I think he's an excellent recruiter and was kept to coach the DL because Gus thinks he's a good coach.

LOL, you really believe this? Garner did kill us as a recruiter at UT and uga. He never was considered an above average DL coach at either UT or uga. Garner was a Jay Jacobs hire (which I was in favor of at the time because I thought his recruiting would compensate for his coaching weakness.) Right now, his recruiting at the position he coaches is worse than his on the field coaching.

wde

You really believe Jay Jacobs makes assistant coach hiring decisions for his head coaches? That's what's funny. Jay Jacobs wouldn't even address Tony Barbee's bloated recruiting budget because he didn't want to give him an excuse for failing. Jay Jacobs is an administrator, and Gus has a very strong personality and isn't about to abdicate hiring and retention decisions. If Gus didn't think Garner could get the job done Garner would be gone.

Jay Jacobs absolutely was instrumental in the hiring of RG. FWIW, I was happy at the time because of RG's recruiting prowess at

AU (under Bowden), UT and uga. Do you not think it odd that only RG survived the D coaching staff purge?

wde

I have no issue with RG. I think he is great for AU. Guy came in with a rough hand to start with and did pretty well in season 1. Season two hurt with the loss of Ford and Lawson. This season should show more what he is about. As far as recruiting goes - he has brought in some pretty dang good talent. We just dwell on guys like Trent Thompson who chose the in state school, Daylon Mack who we never had a great shot at, and now these two guys. How soon we forget Andrew Williams, Prince, and the number 1 recruit in the nation last year Mr. Byron Cowart.

I have no issue with RG. I think he is great for AU. Guy came in with a rough hand to start with and did pretty well in season 1. Season two hurt with the loss of Ford and Lawson. This season should show more what he is about. As far as recruiting goes - he has brought in some pretty dang good talent. We just dwell on guys like Trent Thompson who chose the in state school, Daylon Mack who we never had a great shot at, and now these two guys. How soon we forget Andrew Williams, Prince, and the number 1 recruit in the nation last year Mr. Byron Cowart.

Muschamp is the only reason we got Cowart, not RG. RG can prove to be an above average DL coach based on what happens on the field this fall and he can prove he is still a very good recruiter in Feb 2016. We will see.

Damn. We are getting our ass handed to us in DL recruiting right now. Of course, it's June 2015 and they don't sign until February 2016 for goodness sake.

Muschamp is the only reason we got Cowart, not RG. RG can prove to be an above average DL coach based on what happens on the field this fall and he can prove he is still a very good recruiter in Feb 2016. We will see.

The more you tell them that Garner wasn't the cause of Cowart coming to Auburn, the more they deny it. Might as well quit repeating yourself.

How come Gus gets no blame for the de-commits? He's the head coach, responsible for the total program, including recruiting at EVERY position. As the face of the Auburn football program he deserves the good and the bad.

How come Gus gets no blame for the de-commits? He's the head coach, responsible for the total program, including recruiting at EVERY position. As the face of the Auburn football program he deserves the good and the bad.

The only thing on the line for Gus is his job if over a short period of time if AU doesn't succeed. (i.e. Chizik, Tuberville, Dye, Bowden, Barfield, etc)

Who did Rocker get signed while at AU?

<crickets>

Who is comparing Rocker versus Garner based on past recruiting? Garner, historically has been a much better recruiter than Rocker. Rocker has been a much better DL coach than Garner. Right now, quality DT recruits are beating down the door to go to uga. Is that because of Rocker or because of Pruitt or a combination. I think it is a combination.

wde

<crickets>

Who is comparing Rocker versus Garner based on past recruiting? Garner, historically has been a much better recruiter than Rocker. Rocker has been a much better DL coach than Garner. Right now, quality DT recruits are beating down the door to go to uga. Is that because of Rocker or because of Pruitt or a combination. I think it is a combination.

wde

Good point. I was posting in the recruiting forum so that is why I remind us that Rocker didn't recruit.

WDE

<crickets>

http://247sports.com/Coach/Rodney-Garner-66

I think there are some pretty impressive names on that listing. Am I wrong, crickets?

<crickets>

wde

Good point. I was posting in the recruiting forum so that is why I remind us that Rocker didn't recruit.

WDE

Or maybe Rocker as a recruiter has been hampered by the DC he worked under? The old "which came first, the chicken or the egg" thing.

<crickets>

wde

WDE

Or maybe Rocker as a recruiter has been hampered by the DC he worked under? The old "which came first, the chicken or the egg" thing.

Possibly. Just never heard of his relentlessness in the area that he was responsible for at his old school.

I see all the opinions about who is the real lure for DL to AU...and have to wonder...how many kids like Williams go to bama because of Smart...and who in the H*** is the bama DL coach? and has anyone outside of Tuscaloosa ever heard of him?

JMO but GUS needs to be the primary attraction for AU....though I accept that Muschamp has some good creds and should be taking advantage. BUT....depending on an assistant coach to do the heavy lifting on recruitment is just unrealistic....as is blaming him for the quality of the class.

<crickets>

wde

WDE

Possibly. Just never heard of his relentlessness in the area that he was responsible for at his old school.

True. I am also wanting for RG to demonstrate the relentlessness in that area at his old school that gained him his rep as well.

<crickets>

wde

WDE

True. I am also wanting for RG to demonstrate the relentlessness in that area at his old school that gained him his rep as well.

Like they say, "it is the Jimmy and Joe's more than x's and o's". Rocker did not leave much to work with for sure.

Archived