Bill Maher Calls Out Rush Limbaugh Boycotters

DKW 86

Sorry, FREE Speech is for everyone, not just the braindead PC morons.

See, i dont object to you making a fool out of yourself.

That is how this Free Speech-y thing works.

The braindead PC morons are exercising their right to free speech by boycotting.

Actually, that isnt speech. That is the equivalent of shouting down the speaker. When you have FREE SPEECH, everyone gets to speak. The Morons get their turn, and then Maher and i get our turns. The ones that want to block someone else's free speech are those that KNOW that in an Idea Market, when all sides get to be heard, they lose. Therefore they HAVE to resort to shouting down the other sides and not allow them to speak. If the Islamic Extremists just wanted to have a political chat, then that would be fine and indeed proactive. When they want to silence others, that is what it means to deprive others of their Free Speech.

The quote often attributed to Voltaire is correct: "I may disagree with what you say, but i will defend to the death YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT." When you are shouting down, or hampering in any way, the rights of another, then you are by definition limiting another's Free Speech.

It is beyond sad that this has to even be discussed on this forum. What you are advocating is that only those with the mob on their side should be allowed to speak at all. Is that your definition of Fee Speech? Really? Mob Rule=Free Speech?

It is a mockery of intellect for yall to call yourself "Liberals."

I think you are confused. They are not preventing Rush from speaking. They are simply exercising their own freedoms to not interact with Rush's sponsors... i.e. boycotting.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are confused. They are not preventing Rush from speaking. They are simply exercising their own freedoms to not interact with Rush's sponsors... i.e. boycotting.

With the very well known intent of getting Rush off the air, thus shutting him down.

No confusion here, what so ever.

AirAmerica got shut down with out any boycotts, what so ever.

:roflol:

The American Left are all about stiffing dissent and opposing views. They don't bother w/ debating , but instead, would rather just force their targets to be shouted down.

Who is stiffling dissent and how exactly are they doing it?

This thread is becoming a straw man factory.

Reread the first post, dingus.

Then, after that, try to recall all the time conservative speakers at colleges were shouted down, before or even DURING their speech, and then compare that to the times Leftist speakers had the same done to them.

Your willful blindness and ignorance on this matter, on most matters, is extremely tedious. I hope you're not actually like this in real life.

Show me where anyone is stifling dissent, dingus. I know there are people who are claiming that, but they are just flat out wrong.

Sorry, FREE Speech is for everyone, not just the braindead PC morons.

See, i dont object to you making a fool out of yourself.

That is how this Free Speech-y thing works.

The braindead PC morons are exercising their right to free speech by boycotting.

Actually, that isnt speech. That is the equivalent of shouting down the speaker. When you have FREE SPEECH, everyone gets to speak. The Morons get their turn, and then Maher and i get our turns. The ones that want to block someone else's free speech are those that KNOW that in an Idea Market, when all sides get to be heard, they lose. Therefore they HAVE to resort to shouting down the other sides and not allow them to speak. If the Islamic Extremists just wanted to have a political chat, then that would be fine and indeed proactive. When they want to silence others, that is what it means to deprive others of their Free Speech.

The quote often attributed to Voltaire is correct: "I may disagree with what you say, but i will defend to the death YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT." When you are shouting down, or hampering in any way, the rights of another, then you are by definition limiting another's Free Speech.

It is beyond sad that this has to even be discussed on this forum. What you are advocating is that only those with the mob on their side should be allowed to speak at all. Is that your definition of Fee Speech? Really? Mob Rule=Free Speech?

It is a mockery of intellect for yall to call yourself "Liberals."

Is this addressed to me? Cause that's my point.

With the very well known intent of getting Rush off the air, thus shutting him down.

You are totally clueless.

Show me where anyone is stiffling dissent, dingus.

well, aside from those trying to shut down Limbaugh...

Brandeis Cancels Plan to Give Honorary Degree to Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a Critic of Islam

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/us/brandeis-cancels-plan-to-give-honorary-degree-to-ayaan-hirsi-ali-a-critic-of-islam.html?_r=0

She basically is telling her life story, and the Left wants to punish her for it.

Ann Coulter Silenced At Free Speech Event

http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/ann-coulter-silenced-at-free-speech-event/blog-285707/?page=3

And even NON conservatives !

Protesters Shut Down Peter Thiel Event At UC Berkeley

http://benswann.com/protesters-shut-down-peter-thiel-event-at-uc-berkeley/

You are totally clueless.

I bet you still listen to old AA shows on tape, huh?

Never thought of Maher as one that didn't quite grasp the concept of free speech, but there you go.

i never thought of DKW86 as one who didnt grasp it either but he is totally lost on this concept.

Actually the whole free speech thing is not about what could or could not be said to ones boss or in this specific example Sandra Fluke. Not that it matters but Ed Shultz of MSNBC has routinely referred to conservative women as ignorant sluts but he gets a pass because he's a lefty.

The First Amendment is about political and religious freedoms not about tasteless comments about which some liberals become so enraged. They never question the stupidity of their own. Like their tasteless attacks on Sarah Palin. There is a concept called decorum that should be employed when speaking to superiors in the work place. Tact and a good sense of better judgement are not really aspects of what free speech is all about.

“This may surprise you, but I am not a big fan of Rush Limbaugh,” Maher said during a monologue on his HBO show “Real Time with Bill Maher” on Friday. “However, if you are one of the people with a website devoted to making him go away, you are part of the problem.”

It appears Maher is referencing shutting him down thus silencing. Not sure what part of that is hard to decipher?

I don't recall the exact phrasing but, I seem to recall Ed Schultz echoing the same sentiment as Maher.

Who is confused here? Is it me? IDK.

Never thought of Maher as one that didn't quite grasp the concept of free speech, but there you go.

i never thought of DKW86 as one who didnt grasp it either but he is totally lost on this concept.

Actually the whole free speech thing is not about what could or could not be said to ones boss or in this specific example Sandra Fluke. Not that it matters but Ed Shultz of MSNBC has routinely referred to conservative women as ignorant sluts but he gets a pass because he's a lefty.

The First Amendment is about political and religious freedoms not about tasteless comments about which some liberals become so enraged. They never question the stupidity of their own. Like their tasteless attacks on Sarah Palin. There is a concept called decorum that should be employed when speaking to superiors in the work place. Tact and a good sense of better judgement are not really aspects of what free speech is all about.

Yet another that does not get the concept of free speech. Didn't stop you from weighing in, though.

Yet another that does not get the concept of free speech. Didn't stop you from weighing in, though.

LOL. Yeah, I come here to gather the wisdom of 20 something year old smartazzes so I can find my way in life. :hellyeah:

LOL. Yeah, I come here to gather the wisdom of 20 something year old smartazzes so I can find my way in life. :hellyeah:

You should pay attention and do a little research. Might cure you of your ignorance. :glare:

Show me where anyone is stiffling dissent, dingus.

well, aside from those trying to shut down Limbaugh...

Brandeis Cancels Plan to Give Honorary Degree to Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a Critic of Islam

http://www.nytimes.c...islam.html?_r=0

She basically is telling her life story, and the Left wants to punish her for it.

Ann Coulter Silenced At Free Speech Event

http://www.sodahead....-285707/?page=3

And even NON conservatives !

Protesters Shut Down Peter Thiel Event At UC Berkeley

http://benswann.com/...at-uc-berkeley/

Damn. My bad.

Obviously there are incidents to be found where free speech is arguably stifled.

But I could have sworn the subject of this thread was Bill Maher and the Limbaugh boycott, which was what I was addressing.

I didn't account for the typical weasel to start arguing an entirely different case when they are clearly wrong about this one. Silly me. :-\

“This may surprise you, but I am not a big fan of Rush Limbaugh,” Maher said during a monologue on his HBO show “Real Time with Bill Maher” on Friday. “However, if you are one of the people with a website devoted to making him go away, you are part of the problem.”

It appears Maher is referencing shutting him down thus silencing. Not sure what part of that is hard to decipher?

I don't recall the exact phrasing but, I seem to recall Ed Schultz echoing the same sentiment as Maher.

That's just wrong. In fact, I hope he does get enough negative feedback from potential advertisers to shut him down. (Like that's going to happen. :-\ )

But making something happen by letting his advertisers know he is not appreciated is not shutting him down. "Shutting him down" used in the context you are using it implies utilizing direct authority to do so, not political influence. Do you consider such targeting boycotts and critical web sites to be illegal (unconstitutional)? If so, please explain how.

You really can't see the distinction? Granted its subtle but it's very very important.

That's just wrong. In fact, I hope he does get enough negative feedback from potential advertisers to shut him down. (Like that's going to happen.)

But making something happen by letting his advertisers know he is not appreciated is not shutting him down. "Shutting him down" used in the context you are using it implies utilizing direct authority to do so, not political influence. Do you consider such targeting boycotts and critical web sites to be illegal (unconstitutional)? If so, please explain how.

You really can't see the distinction? Granted its subtle but it's very very important.

You are right. Many sponsors that left have returned under the cloud of darkness with very little fanfare. I doubt Rush is going anywhere until he says so.

I have no problem with boycotts. The inference, in this case, was Maher's.

Damn. My bad.

Obviously there are incidents to be found where free speech is arguably stifled.

But I could have sworn the subject of this thread was the Bill Maher and the Limbaugh boycott, which was what I was addressing.

I didn't account for the typical weasel to start arguing an entirely different case when they are clearly wrong about this one. Silly me. :-\

Did you want me to be redundant and cite groups which seek to shut Rush Limbaugh down ? I'm confused. You asked for evidence, I gave you some, and then you dismissed it, along w/ tossing out a random insult.

And btw, AA was formed SPECIFICALLY to counter Rush, and the conservative talk radio market which has arisen, since the late 80's. In the market place of ideas, Left wing talk radio failed. Miserably.

AA went out of business like Raptor said, with absolutely no one having to boycott a loser network with little talent and even less ideas. Look, it has been 2-3 years since Rush blew it with Fluke. It is time to strap on some testicles and Move On. ;-) she has even lost an election since then.

Just man up and admit that your ideas lost. That is what maher is saying. You are doing nothing now but letting Rush get in your head. You lost. Grow up. Move on.

Just an idea, but AA got mud holed by Fox, Hannity, and Rush. If Rush et al are kicking your butt, a pathetic 2+ years old boycott isn't doing anything but giving the opposition something to mock, ridicule and heap scorn upon you.

That's just wrong. In fact, I hope he does get enough negative feedback from potential advertisers to shut him down. (Like that's going to happen.)

You are right. Many sponsors that left have returned under the cloud of darkness with very little fanfare. I doubt Rush is going anywhere until he says so.

I have no problem with boycotts. The inference, in this case, was Maher's.

Understand. My point is that if so, Maher is just flat out wrong. And so is anyone who parrots that mistaken view.

Damn. My bad.

But I could have sworn the subject of this thread was the Bill Maher and the Limbaugh boycott, which was what I was addressing.

Did you want me to be redundant and cite groups which seek to shut Rush Limbaugh down ? I'm confused. You asked for evidence, I gave you some, and then you dismissed it, along w/ tossing out a random insult.

And btw, AA was formed SPECIFICALLY to counter Rush, and the conservative talk radio market which has arisen, since the late 80's. In the market place of ideas, Left wing talk radio failed. Miserably.

First, that wasn't a random insult, Dingus. (Really, try not to be so blatantly hypocritical. And don't think I didn't notice you trimmed that off the chain.)

Again, I asked who exactly was "shutting down" Limbaugh from a free speech standpoint on the Mahar issue? Why don't you respond to that first?

But if you want to bring up other perceived instances of Limbaugh being shut down, I'll be glad to take them one at a time. Which one would you like for me to address first?

Damn. My bad.

And that is relevant to the discussion, how?

AA went out of business like Raptor said, with absolutely no one having to boycott a loser network with little talent and even less ideas. Look, it has been 2-3 years since Rush blew it with Fluke. It is time to strap on some testicles and Move On. ;-) she has even lost an election since then.

Just man up and admit that your ideas lost. That is what maher is saying. You are doing nothing now but letting Rush get in your head. You lost. Grow up. Move on.

Just an idea, but AA got mud holed by Fox, Hannity, and Rush. If Rush et al are kicking your butt, a pathetic 2+ years old boycott isn't doing anything but giving the opposition something to mock, ridicule and heap scorn upon you.

I don't know who in hell you are talking to, but if it's me, I don't know what you are talking about. Certainly nothing I - or anyone else in this thread - have brought up. :dunno:

I don't know who in hell you are talking to, but if it's me, I don't know what you are talking about. Certainly nothing I - or anyone else in this thread - have brought up. :dunno:/>

This thread is about Maher talking about how pitiful the Boycott Rush thing that is already two years old and dying. If you want to defeat someone, quit using a lame tactic and beat him already. AA got beat by Rush et al because AA's ideas sucked.

So have we now changed the subject from boycotts as "shoutdowns" of free speech to....what?

The effectiveness of boycotts?

The propensity of liberals to listen to partisan propaganda on the radio?

:dunno:

No. The amount of bad ideas that some PC loons calling themselves liberals will embrace even when getting their asses handed to them is staggering. Air America was one long Ed Schultz rerun for all intents and purposes. It sucked morning, noon, and night time too. If it wasn't for Soros throwing good money after bad the nation wouldn't have had that crapfest on half as long as it was.

Archived