Robert E. Lee's Birthday

Proud Tiger

I know some of you would be disappointed if I didn't acknowledge Robert E. Lee's birthday today. I am fully aware that today is also MLK's birthday and I acknowledge that also.But MLK's birthday is fully recognized whereas REL's is often overlooked. Both were good men for different causes. Both had their strong suits and faults as well.

Those of you who look at REL as a traitor can waste your time arguing if you want. We had that debate last year and I seriously doubt anyone has changed their opinion.

I admire REL for many reasons so I simply want to recognize him on his birthday much as I can. Thank you General Lee.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the day, I remember REL's birthday being a state holiday and schools being out...he is a great study in leadership and battlefield tenacity.

Hold on Dr. King, IMMA gonna let you have your day but first let me post about my hero, the military leader of the confederacy! WTF!

tumblr_mq79p4H2DA1r5n0bgo1_500.jpg

Back in the day, I remember REL's birthday being a state holiday and schools being out...he is a great study in leadership and battlefield tenacity.

And a traitor.

Let's go down that road again! :roflol:

And a traitor.

Let's go down that road again! :roflol:/>

Jus sayin'. ;)

I grew up never hearing REL's name or life story outside what was taught in history books, class, or occasional documentary.

Sure, I knew who he was and all, but never thought a holiday or celebration would be in order to mark his birthday.

:gofig:

That was a classic thread.

It was. Let's see if we can get Titan to move it to classics. It was my time waster while we were frozen in place by that big storm last year. :big:

I think a more useful; and probably more fun thread; would be how the Leftists on the site would propose to solve the secession issue if it came up today. Force of arms? Political compromise? Boycott?

I think a more useful; and probably more fun thread; would be how the Leftists on the site would propose to solve the secession issue if it came up today. Force of arms? Political compromise? Boycott?

That would be an interesting thread. You should start it.

Don't you think we have enough problems dealing with actual history to take on hypothetical propositions? ;D

I'm sure they would have gladly pushed for the idea of making ALL slaves equal, and count as a full citizens in the census , as God had intended !

:laugh:

Of course, ignoring the glaring problem that would have caused, by making the South far STRONGER , politically speaking, than the 3/5th compromise which they so often whine about.

It was. Let's see if we can get Titan to move it to classics. It was my time waster while we were frozen in place by that big storm last year. :big:

Agree 100%. One of my all time favs. Thanks for the memories Ben!

Agree 100%. One of my all time favs. Thanks for the memories Ben!

Likewise :cheers:

And a traitor.

Jus sayin'. ;)

Doesn't matter how many times you say it -- it's still patently false. The facts are: the CSA did secede and was a sovereign country for about 4 years. No confederate was ever tried for treason, and certainly not REL. It was thought at the time that any treason charges couldn't be proven anyway due to the Constitution not specifically mentioning secession. Only Jefferson Davis was indicted for treason and held in jail for 2 years, then released under President Johnson's general amnesty,

And a traitor.

Jus sayin'. ;)/>

Doesn't matter how many times you say it -- it's still patently false. The facts are: the CSA did secede and was a sovereign country for about 4 years. No confederate was ever tried for treason, and certainly not REL. It was thought at the time that any treason charges couldn't be proven anyway due to the Constitution not specifically mentioning secession. Only Jefferson Davis was indicted for treason and held in jail for 2 years, then released under President Johnson's general amnesty,

giphy.gif

Archived