Robert E. Lee's Birthday

Proud Tiger

Go to Savannah and get a guide knowledgeable of the city's history. You can also find a letter with Pres. Lincoln telling Sherman to put the dang bells back in the church next to the house Sherman confiscated for his HQ. Lots of history out there if you have the time or interest to pursue it.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go to Savannah and get a guide knowledgeable of the city's history. You can also find a letter with Pres. Lincoln telling Sherman to put the dang bells back in the church next to the house Sherman confiscated for his HQ. Lots of history out there if you have the time or interest to pursue it.

Can't find anything to corroborate. No link?

So, it was word of mouth?

I know that Sherman was a racist bigot, but if he lined up and executed 300 blacks in Savannah, there ought to be record of it outside of a tour guide.

I recently finished all three volumes of Shelby Foote's history of the Civil War and he didn't mention it. And his work is about as exhaustive as you can get (over 3,000 pages).

While this may be true, I have never heard a mention of this story. Has anyone else here?

Ben....nope. don't have a link off hand and don't have time to pursue it. So take it or leave it......be it as it may. Gotta run. See ya tomorrow. Sleep well.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.

- Benjamin Franklin

- Benjamin Franklin

:dunno:

- Benjamin Franklin

:dunno:

;)

I think a more useful; and probably more fun thread; would be how the Leftists on the site would propose to solve the secession issue if it came up today. Force of arms? Political compromise? Boycott?

Sadly, all they'd have to do is cut off the federal funding spigot. Almost any state tempted by the prospect of secession would quickly think twice when faced with the reality of having to replace huge amounts of federal funding, or tell its citizens to do without. For example, Alabama takes some $1.70 back from DC for every dollar they send there. That's why state leaders talk tough and chest thump at the feds, but never actually fight them on anything. Any realistic chance of secession died long ago when states fell to the temptation of free money.

Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama are the only three states in the country that celebrate Robert E. Lee on the same day as the Martin Luther King Jr. federal holiday. Their reasoning for the combo celebration is that the two have birthdays just a few days apart—never mind the, uh, conflict of interest.

Today, Arkansas' elected officials had the opportunity to pass a bill seeking to separate the two commemorations. By doing so, Arkansas would join Georgia, Florida, and Virginia, which honor Lee—but not on MLK Day.

But this morning, Arkansas representatives struck down the bill with chorus of nays. Below are a few choice quotes from opponents of the bill explaining why:

1. "Everyone in this room owes Robert E. Lee a debt."

2. "You've got MLK parades all over the nation, but no one celebrates Lee! Well, a lot of people do, a very large crowd."

3. "This bill is out to change our constitution."

4. "It's called American history."

5. "I really wish we could all celebrate a non-separate, but equal holiday."

6. "You wouldn't celebrate Christmas in July!"

7. "Why are we doing this? We are chasing a non-problem."

8. "Separate is not equal." http://www.motherjon...lk-robert-e-lee B8crblHCcAAnu9j.jpg

Lee Holiday vs. King Holiday? Silly, irrelevant point to me:

MLK holiday is a federal holiday honoring/celebrating a person who achieved very positive things for our nation. The date is set by the federal calendar, although states were not forced to recognize it and a few (Arizona, for example) were very late in accepting it.

States are free to recognize other holidays at their discretion. A state can honor Joseph Stalin or Bugs Bunny with a holiday if it wishes on any date of its choosing. Lee's birthday is only recognized at the state level.

Lee served our country nobly in the war with Mexico and put down John Brown's Harper's Ferry insurrection. In later life, he was president of Washington & Lee University. But in terms of contributions to the United States of America his accomplishments are dwarfed by King's. However, it is interesting to note that both Confederate Generals Lee and T. J. "Stonewall" Jackson have appeared on U.S. postal stamps.

Me, personally? I agree with the Arkansas voice that said "Why are we doing this? We are chasing a non-problem."

Lee would be ashamed he was being used for a dog whistle message.

Yep he's the tool for the butthurt that is MLK day.

Funny how this comes up only after MLK day was established. I guess it took them 150 years to think of it.

Funny how this comes up only after MLK day was established. I guess it took them 150 years to think of it.

Lee was a great Military General no doubt. I have in my collection a book titled "Robert E. Lee on Leadership - Executive Lessons in Character, Courage, and Vision by H.W. Crocker" but this state holiday nonsense and the reason for this thread is to purposely diminish MLK day. They'll deny it but it's the stone cold truth.

I guess if you are from the State of Alabama it might mean something different to you than if you were from a state that didn't have a Civil War Memorial Day or R.E. Lee day. I don't remember South Carolina having such a day when I was a kid but I may not remember it (early 70's). I had never heard of it until I came to AU.

From a military perspective R. E. Lee was a fine commander, but Stonewall Jackson was one of the best field commanders of his time. If not for friendly fire, he might have kept the war going for another year based on his tactics alone.

I guess if you are from the State of Alabama it might mean something different to you than if you were from a state that didn't have a Civil War Memorial Day or R.E. Lee day. I don't remember South Carolina having such a day when I was a kid but I may not remember it (early 70's). I had never heard of it until I came to AU.

South Carolina just had the good taste to hoist the Confederate battle flag over the statehouse in 1962.

South Carolina just had the good taste to hoist the Confederate battle flag over the statehouse in 1962.

Always a reason to take a shot, right? lol

If a flag is that much of an issue to people they should just move away or ignore it. Now it stands tall closer to eye level at the entrance on a flag pole...last I heard. I for one don't see the issue with the flag as much as I do with the people who used it to to advance their murderous ways.

Always a reason to take a shot, right? lol

If a flag is that much of an issue to people they should just move away or ignore it. Now it stands tall closer to eye level at the entrance on a flag pole...last I heard. I for one don't see the issue with the flag as much as I do with the people who used it to to advance their murderous ways.

homey doesn't need a reason. That's all he can do. It is his shtick.LOL

Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama are the only three states in the country that celebrate Robert E. Lee on the same day as the Martin Luther King Jr. federal holiday. Their reasoning for the combo celebration is that the two have birthdays just a few days apart—never mind the, uh, conflict of interest.

Today, Arkansas' elected officials had the opportunity to pass a bill seeking to separate the two commemorations. By doing so, Arkansas would join Georgia, Florida, and Virginia, which honor Lee—but not on MLK Day.

But this morning, Arkansas representatives struck down the bill with chorus of nays. Below are a few choice quotes from opponents of the bill explaining why:

1. "Everyone in this room owes Robert E. Lee a debt."

2. "You've got MLK parades all over the nation, but no one celebrates Lee! Well, a lot of people do, a very large crowd."

3. "This bill is out to change our constitution."

4. "It's called American history."

5. "I really wish we could all celebrate a non-separate, but equal holiday."

6. "You wouldn't celebrate Christmas in July!"

7. "Why are we doing this? We are chasing a non-problem."

8. "Separate is not equal." http://www.motherjon...lk-robert-e-lee B8crblHCcAAnu9j.jpg

That is too bad. I believe there should be separate days of acknowledgment.

Lee was a great Military General no doubt. I have in my collection a book titled "Robert E. Lee on Leadership - Executive Lessons in Character, Courage, and Vision by H.W. Crocker" but this state holiday nonsense and the reason for this thread is to purposely diminish MLK day. They'll deny it but it's the stone cold truth.

You simply cannot state that as fact. That sir is your opinion. Period.

Frankly, the reason for your post is your disdain for PT. Man up and stop weaseling. It is not becoming of an active military officer.

Frankly, the reason for your post is your disdain for PT. Man up and stop weaseling. It is not becoming of an active military officer.

He was stating it as opinion, which I - and anyone with basic common sense - would agree with. It is the stone cold truth. (And since I am not trying to provide evidence to prove that, you may assume it's my opinion.)

Anyone who makes a claim without an overt attempt to provide evidence to prove it is undeniably true is stating their opinion. Most people understand that. Frankly, I think your post is motivated from your disdain of AUUSN. So man-up and stop weaseling. :-\ (See how that works?)

Furthermore, who the hell are you to dictate that stating one's opinion is "not becoming to an active military officer"? Last time I checked they are also citizens.

He was stating it as opinion, which I - and anyone with basic common sense - would agree with. It is the truth.

Anyone who makes a claim without an overt attempt to provide evidence to prove it is undeniably true is stating their opinion. Most people understand that. I think your post is motivated from your disdain of USN.

Furthermore, who the hell are you to dictate that stating one's opinion is "not becoming to an active military officer"? Last time I check they are citizens.

Horse hockey!

More horse hockey!

You have no clue what you are talking about.

He was stating it as opinion, which I - and anyone with basic common sense - would agree with. It is the truth.

Anyone who makes a claim without an overt attempt to provide evidence to prove it is undeniably true is stating their opinion. Most people understand that. I think your post is motivated from your disdain of USN.

Furthermore, who the hell are you to dictate that stating one's opinion is "not becoming to an active military officer"? Last time I check they are citizens.

Horse hockey!

More horse hockey!

You have no clue what you are talking about.

Point out where I was wrong.

Archived