How Martin Luther King Jr. overcame “Christian” white supremacy

AUUSN

I asked a question .

Is that verboten ?

Don't play dumb. You were trolling.

Got it.

Verboten.

No, you don't "get it." Your question wasn't relevant. No one made any assertion, implied or otherwise, regarding black racist groups. It was a discussion of MLK's experience with white supremacists and how those people also had a place within certain "Christian" groups. That's it.

"Now, this lady probably didn't consciously think of herself as a white supremacist. She almost certainly didn't think of herself as subversive of the gospel itself. She never thought about the hypocrisy of holding the two contradictory worldviews together in her mind. She probably didn't see how her dehumanizing of African-Americans was a twisted form of Darwinism rather than biblical Christianity.

Glad we have smart people to tell others what really in their hearts & what they really are thinking.

I'm venturing to guess that you failed to read the entire article again? In professional writing, it's usually customary to begin with a vignette. You got so wrapped around the axel on that that you failed to even considering reading the article? Are you that narrow minded?

So, let's see if I have this right...

If I just comment on what is posted, on what I read , I'm being " narrow minded " ?

But if anyone sees an out if context/ made up comment or description of what someone else said, oh like...say, Rush Limbaugh, then THEY are the voice of common sense , fairness & reason.

GOT IT !!

That victim card you carry around must be pretty worn out from you pulling it out of your wallet all the time.

"One of my earliest memories is of a substitute Sunday school teacher chastening me for putting a coin in my mouth. “That’s filthy,” she said. “Why, you don’t know if a colored man might have held that.” It might just be my imagination playing tricks on me, but it seems as though she immediately followed this up with, “Alright children, let’s sing ‘Jesus Loves the Little Children, All the Children of the World.’

Now, this lady probably didn’t consciously think of herself as a white supremacist. She almost certainly didn’t think of herself as subversive of the gospel itself. She never thought about the hypocrisy of holding the two contradictory worldviews together in her mind. She probably didn’t see how her dehumanizing of African-Americans was a twisted form of Darwinism rather than biblical Christianity.

"She wasn’t alone.

"On the question of civil rights in the American Christian context, there is little question that, with few exceptions, the “progressives” were right, often heroically right, and the “conservatives” were wrong, often satanically wrong. In the narrative of the dismantling of Jim Crow, conservatives were often the villains and progressives were most often on the side of the angels, indeed on the side of Jesus."

http://erlc.com/arti...white-supremacy

Not shocked by that. Interesting information. Radicalization is often combined with religious ideology to help cement a belief.

I agree.

So if one makes the same observation regarding Isil or Al Queda, why do some folks on the forum get all verklempt? :dunno:

I read until I got to "Southern Baptist Convention". There is the problem. I was raised Baptist and I have spent the better part of my life trying to unlearn what was taught to me.

"One of my earliest memories is of a substitute Sunday school teacher chastening me for putting a coin in my mouth. "That's filthy," she said. "Why, you don't know if a colored man might have held that." It might just be my imagination playing tricks on me, but it seems as though she immediately followed this up with, "Alright children, let's sing 'Jesus Loves the Little Children, All the Children of the World.'

"Now, this lady probably didn't consciously think of herself as a white supremacist. She almost certainly didn't think of herself as subversive of the gospel itself. She never thought about the hypocrisy of holding the two contradictory worldviews together in her mind. She probably didn't see how her dehumanizing of African-Americans was a twisted form of Darwinism rather than biblical Christianity.

"She wasn't alone.

"On the question of civil rights in the American Christian context, there is little question that, with few exceptions, the "progressives" were right, often heroically right, and the "conservatives" were wrong, often satanically wrong. In the narrative of the dismantling of Jim Crow, conservatives were often the villains and progressives were most often on the side of the angels, indeed on the side of Jesus."

WOW. Now you are attacking Christians with opinions? Biggest load of hate and bigotry I have seen here in a while. Your buddy will be blushing with pride. Typical lib HATE.

Explain yourself. You've accused me of something, now back it up.

I stated MY opinion which is factual. Maybe you should think before hitting "post" and pitching a little school girl hissy fit.

"One of my earliest memories is of a substitute Sunday school teacher chastening me for putting a coin in my mouth. "That's filthy," she said. "Why, you don't know if a colored man might have held that." It might just be my imagination playing tricks on me, but it seems as though she immediately followed this up with, "Alright children, let's sing 'Jesus Loves the Little Children, All the Children of the World.'

"She wasn't alone.

"On the question of civil rights in the American Christian context, there is little question that, with few exceptions, the "progressives" were right, often heroically right, and the "conservatives" were wrong, often satanically wrong. In the narrative of the dismantling of Jim Crow, conservatives were often the villains and progressives were most often on the side of the angels, indeed on the side of Jesus."

WOW. Now you are attacking Christians with opinions? Biggest load of hate and bigotry I have seen here in a while. Your buddy will be blushing with pride. Typical lib HATE.

Explain yourself. You've accused me of something, now back it up.

I stated MY opinion which is factual. Maybe you should think before hitting "post" and pitching a little school girl hissy fit.

Are you drinking and posting. You accused me of attacking Christians. Back it up or delete your post.

"One of my earliest memories is of a substitute Sunday school teacher chastening me for putting a coin in my mouth. “That’s filthy,” she said. “Why, you don’t know if a colored man might have held that.” It might just be my imagination playing tricks on me, but it seems as though she immediately followed this up with, “Alright children, let’s sing ‘Jesus Loves the Little Children, All the Children of the World.’

Now, this lady probably didn’t consciously think of herself as a white supremacist. She almost certainly didn’t think of herself as subversive of the gospel itself. She never thought about the hypocrisy of holding the two contradictory worldviews together in her mind. She probably didn’t see how her dehumanizing of African-Americans was a twisted form of Darwinism rather than biblical Christianity.

"She wasn’t alone.

"On the question of civil rights in the American Christian context, there is little question that, with few exceptions, the “progressives” were right, often heroically right, and the “conservatives” were wrong, often satanically wrong. In the narrative of the dismantling of Jim Crow, conservatives were often the villains and progressives were most often on the side of the angels, indeed on the side of Jesus."

Not shocked by that. Interesting information. Radicalization is often combined with religious ideology to help cement a belief.

I agree.

So if one makes the same observation regarding Isil or Al Queda, why do some folks on the forum get all verklempt? :dunno:

Might be 9/11, World Trade Center I, USS Cole, Iranian Hostage ordeal, Afghanistan, Iraq part II, Syria, Egypt, Libya, Iraq Part III, Lebanon, Boston Bombing,.....a lot to hate on those radicals.

I must have missed the Methodist-Presbyterian jihad. :-)

"She wasn’t alone.

I agree.

Might be 9/11, World Trade Center I, USS Cole, Iranian Hostage ordeal, Afghanistan, Iraq part II, Syria, Egypt, Libya, Iraq Part III, Lebanon, Boston Bombing,.....a lot to hate on those radicals.

That doesn't exactly address my point. No one has suggested Islam is not currently overly-endowed with radicals.

My point is that still doesn't encompass all Muslims. It's a fallacy to characterize all Muslims as radicals.

I apologize if my point was too obscure.

"She wasn’t alone.

I agree.

That doesn't exactly address my point. No one has suggested Islam is not currently overly-endowed with radicals.

My point is that still doesn't encompass all Muslims. It's a fallacy to characterize all Muslims as radicals.

I apologize for being simplistic but the fact is the American people have been bombarded by events that were created by radicals. Over the last 15 years it has been hyped up by the radicals who behead innocence and wish to kill everyone who doesn't conform to their beliefs. Not all Christians are radical either. But there's a few out there. I dare say not as many but that's an opinion.

"She wasn’t alone.

I agree.

I apologize for being simplistic but the fact is the American people have been bombarded by events that were created by radicals. Over the last 15 years it has been hyped up by the radicals who behead innocence and wish to kill everyone who doesn't conform to their beliefs. Not all Christians are radical either. But there's a few out there. I dare say not as many but that's an opinion.

I agree with everything you said. But it has nothing to do with the point I was making.

We both know there are folks on this forum who want to lump all Muslims together as radicals. Kind of crazy to include over a billion people into that category, but there you have it.

"She wasn’t alone.

I agree.

I agree with everything you said. But it has nothing to do with the point I was making.

We both know there are folks on this forum who want to lump all Muslims together as radicals. Kind of crazy to include over a billion people into that category, but there you have it.

It happens to all major religions. I just haven't seen them do what these people have been doing in mass since the Crusades.

"She wasn’t alone.

I agree.

It happens to all major religions. I just haven't seen them do what these people have been doing in mass since the Crusades.

Wow. And I thought I was old.

"She wasn’t alone.

I agree.

So if one makes the same observation regarding Isil or Al Queda, why do some folks on the forum get all verklempt? :dunno:/>

The actions of radical muslims of today make the crusades look like a picnic.......

Archived