Auburn Tigers @ the 2015 NFL Senior Bowl

metafour

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The original Sammie Coates going pro thread was horrible had a couple of people say he wouldn't be drafted....

Are you asking what his value was as a QB? He was a borderline draft pick, late round guy at QB. His ceiling is a lot higher at CB, and it wasn't really a height issue. He's taller than Russell Wilson and Drew Brees. Basically the same height as Teddy Bridgewater or Andy Dalton. He's not a walking tree like Flacco or Manning or Luck or Cam, but he was tall enough to play QB.

cole, I was dang near laughed at for implying that Gabe and Angelo Blackson would be drafted. At all. They will both be drafted.

I think we all knew that Sammie would blow everyone away. The play that started it all for me was the TAM game in 2013 where he threw that DB off of him like a ragdoll. I knew then he was going to be big time. If he can catch with consistency, he will be a heck of a player in the NFL. His combine numbers will be off the charts good.

It's not like there's much in the way of athleticism and potential ahead of him, just that dang size.

Seriously? It has absolutely zero to do with his size. He's not a QB because he clearly can't play the position: won't be able to make reads at the NFL level, inconsistent accuracy, poor ability to put touch on the football, and he's shown little to no aptitude in terms of being able to progress through routes on the field. At 6'1 and a half his "size" is the least of his worries. Russell Wilson is 5'10 and a half.

Most of you are so lost in terms of translating collegiate ability to the pro's, it is crazy. Just by watching Marshall play it should have been hilariously obvious that he didn't have the tools necessary to play QB at the NFL level. Everything about his QB play looks ROBOTIC...it doesn't come naturally to him; hence why he has always been a better DB prospect.

It's not like there's much in the way of athleticism and potential ahead of him, just that dang size.

Seriously? It has absolutely zero to do with his size. He's not a QB because he clearly can't play the position: won't be able to make reads at the NFL level, inconsistent accuracy, poor ability to put touch on the football, and he's shown little to no aptitude in terms of being able to progress through routes on the field. At 6'1 and a half his "size" is the least of his worries. Russell Wilson is 5'10 and a half.

Most of you are so lost in terms of translating collegiate ability to the pro's, it is crazy. Just by watching Marshall play it should have been hilariously obvious that he didn't have the tools necessary to play QB at the NFL level. Everything about his QB play looks ROBOTIC...it doesn't come naturally to him; hence why he has always been a better DB prospect.

As well as NM played QB for AU I think you are spot on in assessing his QB play.

Although you certainly have a dickish tone here lol

As well as NM played QB for AU I think you are spot on in assessing his QB play.

Although you certainly have a dickish tone here lol

dickish? That's an understatement, he's acting like I needed his dissertation on Nick to survive...

If meta types, that's the tone. You get used to it over time.

For the record, I disagree to an extent. He's a much better QB than a bunch of guys collecting checks at that position. I'd take him in an instant of guys that started games this year: Chase Daniel, Connor Shaw, heck probably Mark Sanchez, but you have to run a particular system to play Nick. He's not good enough (at that level) to structure your team around. Combine that fact with his very high ceiling at CB, and you see it's the right decision. He's be a career backup at QB. He's got a chance to start and be special at CB.

If meta types, that's the tone. You get used to it over time.

For the record, I disagree to an extent. He's a much better QB than a bunch of guys collecting checks at that position. I'd take him in an instant of guys that started games this year: Chase Daniel, Connor Shaw, heck probably Mark Sanchez, but you have to run a particular system to play Nick. He's not good enough (at that level) to structure your team around. Combine that fact with his very high ceiling at CB, and you see it's the right decision. He's be a career backup at QB. He's got a chance to start and be special at CB.

Word up.

The inestimable Matt Mullen said during the bowl game he would definitely be drafted at QB!

Isn't he the same guy who "led" the Lions to their previous seasons of glory............you know, the ones before they started winning games.

The inestimable Matt Mullen said during the bowl game he would definitely be drafted at QB!

Isn't he the same guy who "led" the Lions to their previous seasons of glory............you know, the ones before they started winning games.

I think if Millen got caught in the recent strings of very accurate performances from Marshall and forgot the majority of the rest of his career. If he performed like that his whole career, he would be a top 25 pick.

I live in Mobile and work downtown. It truly amazes me at the size of these guys walking around town. What is funnier is the sheer size of the lollipop guild guys that determines these athletes fate/draft status.

still don't understand how sammie goes to the draft but duke stays, u know jj will be the qb now and u still go....smh as i see in one of the videos posted on here, he laid out for a ball but didnt catch it in wr drills, now he wants lay out in drills :-\, im sorry im just frustrated of what i know for sure would have been a deadly wr duo, ricardo and others need to step it up. i mean c'mon everyone though duke was leaving for sure and he stays, if he stays, we know darn well sammie should stay

still don't understand how sammie goes to the draft but duke stays, u know jj will be the qb now and u still go....smh as i see in one of the videos posted on here, he laid out for a ball but didnt catch it in wr drills, now he wants lay out in drills :-\, im sorry im just frustrated of what i know for sure would have been a deadly wr duo, ricardo and others need to step it up. i mean c'mon everyone though duke was leaving for sure and he stays, if he stays, we know darn well sammie should stay

You're not really bright, are you?

why say that? smh..........

Because one has nothing to do with the other. Sammie is a late first/early second round prospect. Duke probably was too, but both guys had a tough decision to make. Sammie had his degree and moved on. Duke doesn't, and he decided to stay to finish school and try to become the first WR in next year's draft. Both were quality decisions.

still don't understand how sammie goes to the draft but duke stays, u know jj will be the qb now and u still go....smh as i see in one of the videos posted on here, he laid out for a ball but didnt catch it in wr drills, now he wants lay out in drills :-\/>, im sorry im just frustrated of what i know for sure would have been a deadly wr duo, ricardo and others need to step it up. i mean c'mon everyone though duke was leaving for sure and he stays, if he stays, we know darn well sammie should stay

why say that? smh..........

Try looking at it from the player's pov, not your own.

Also, you guys have to quit assuming that there would have been enough of an increase in production for Sammie (or that there will be for Duke) to significantly increase their draft position. 1, game day production is only part of the equation. 2, even if there is the increase in production with Johnson in the 'gun that y'all are assuming, that's still only a couple looks more per game per receiver.

Marcus Mariota completed 7 passes more per game than Nick Marshall. That would have been 7 passes more per game- and, again, this is if we had Marcus Mariota at quarterback- to divvy up among all our receivers.

Auburn had 14 guys (other than Nick Marshall) catch passes in 2014. 4 of them caught over 20 passes. Another 4 caught 10 or more. Quan caught 39 to Sammie's 34. Do y'all think pro scouts would have launched our guys a round or more further up their draft boards based on one more catch per game? I don't.

By all means, say you wish that Sammie had stayed. But it is very wrong to suggest that he made a bad decision for himself or his family. (It is more subjective to suggest that he still owes Auburn something, but I consider that equally as ignorant nonetheless.)

Also, you guys have to quit assuming that there would have been enough of an increase in production for Sammie (or that there will be for Duke) to significantly increase their draft position. 1, game day production is only part of the equation. 2, even if there is the increase in production with Johnson in the 'gun that y'all are assuming, that's still only a couple looks more per game per receiver.

Marcus Mariota completed 7 passes more per game than Nick Marshall. That would have been 7 passes more per game- and, again, this is if we had Marcus Mariota at quarterback- to divvy up among all our receivers.

Auburn had 14 guys (other than Nick Marshall) catch passes in 2014. 4 of them caught over 20 passes. Another 4 caught 10 or more. Quan caught 39 to Sammie's 34. Do y'all think pro scouts would have launched our guys a round or more further up their draft boards based on one more catch per game? I don't.

By all means, say you wish that Sammie had stayed. But it is very wrong to suggest that he made a bad decision for himself or his family. (It is more subjective to suggest that he still owes Auburn something, but I consider that equally as ignorant nonetheless.)

You and your faaaancy "facts"...

Because one has nothing to do with the other. Sammie is a late first/early second round prospect. Duke probably was too, but both guys had a tough decision to make. Sammie had his degree and moved on. Duke doesn't, and he decided to stay to finish school and try to become the first WR in next year's draft. Both were quality decisions.

Well said

Day 3 ...

Reese Dismukes was a highly decorated SEC center while part of Auburn's explosive offense, but his physical shortcomings were accentuated in practice. Thursday, Dismukes struggled to consistently anchor up in one-on-one drills and was unable to sway scouts who question his ability to block on the move and play with consistent functional strength.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000462326/article/buzzworthy-buzzkill-players-from-day-3-at-the-senior-bowl

Day 3 ...

Reese Dismukes was a highly decorated SEC center while part of Auburn's explosive offense, but his physical shortcomings were accentuated in practice. Thursday, Dismukes struggled to consistently anchor up in one-on-one drills and was unable to sway scouts who question his ability to block on the move and play with consistent functional strength.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000462326/article/buzzworthy-buzzkill-players-from-day-3-at-the-senior-bowl

Ouch! Hoping for better days for RD

Archived