State of the Union

autigeremt

hollow......

Nice words, lacks fundamental vision.....very self centered. Typical narcissist. He tries....to be something else. But still....a pathological narcissist.

Amazing. Turn the page......

Narcissist? Really? Gee, I wonder where that buzz word came from?

I think that is a rather "hollow" summary of the speech. I think you have to ask yourself a couple of questions.

Has the American economy recovered faster than other industrialized nations?

Are we, as a whole, better off than we were when Obama took office?

Congrats on getting to THE question! MHO...THE answer is no. (I am certain all will be shocked). The US economic situation could be FAR better with tax cuts to business and tax law changes.

Of course it "could be better". Things can always be better. However, that doesn't really answer the questions. Now, try not answering this one!

Would you be willing to lower taxes for corporations and the middle class while, raising the capital gains tax?

I'd be willing to simplify the tax code and make it "flatter" and fairer. I'd be willing to see an increase of 1% at the top rate if it went directly to something meaningful. Free college sounds great but the greatest thing about Community Colleges and Tech Schools are their flexibility. More government subsidies will erode that flexibility. I could see an increase in loans and a decrease in the APR for the loans but free isn't free and we all know it.

(Not trying to be snarky, just curious) But what is on your list of "meaningful" things that an increase in the top rate could go for?

On an aside, while I don't like our complicated tax code, proposals to make it flatter make me nervous because the loopholes, credits and reductions tend to lean on things that most middleclass Americans take advantage of to lower their tax burden. In general, I understand that the goal would be to make it simpler AND allow one to pay less in taxes, but I don't think the math works out that way for most Americans-- at least not the proposals put forth so far. Again, doesn't mean I wouldn't be open to it, but I am just skeptical of it actually happening in Washington where it doesn't screw the little guy.

With a shrinking middle class and lower wages what would a simpler tax code do for Americans? Make it fairer and simpler. I have no hopes of ever seeing it but I'd love to see the day with all of America is playing on a more level playing field and not rewarded by loopholes or degraded by loopholes.

As for meaningful items....infrastructure, haz waste cleanups, scholarships for technical based degrees......to name a few.

I would agree with you on the simplification if someone could produce a proposal that I don't think screws the very people who SHOULD benefit from that. As a matter or principle, I agree with you, but just don't see how it actually gets done in a way that suggests fairness.

Infrastructure is huge with me. I think we are too far behind in our investment and continue to dismiss it as something that could make a real difference in our ability to compete with faster growing nations like China.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MHO........The VAST MAJORITY of the SOTU was the president throwing out "ideas" and possible policy changes that he already knows will NOT pass the GOP House and Senate. Simply red meat for the left base and a bit of showing his disdain for the Voters.

hollow......

Nice words, lacks fundamental vision.....very self centered. Typical narcissist. He tries....to be something else. But still....a pathological narcissist.

I think that is a rather "hollow" summary of the speech. I think you have to ask yourself a couple of questions.

Congrats on getting to THE question! MHO...THE answer is no. (I am certain all will be shocked). The US economic situation could be FAR better with tax cuts to business and tax law changes.

Of course it "could be better". Things can always be better. However, that doesn't really answer the questions. Now, try not answering this one!

Would you be willing to lower taxes for corporations and the middle class while, raising the capital gains tax?

I'd be willing to simplify the tax code and make it "flatter" and fairer. I'd be willing to see an increase of 1% at the top rate if it went directly to something meaningful. Free college sounds great but the greatest thing about Community Colleges and Tech Schools are their flexibility. More government subsidies will erode that flexibility. I could see an increase in loans and a decrease in the APR for the loans but free isn't free and we all know it.

Sounds as though you haven't heard of the programs in Tennessee and Chicago that the plan is based on. Private enterprise actually has a lot to do with the curriculum.

hollow......

I think you have to ask yourself.....has he delivered the way he promised and are we REALLY that much better off? Not really....unless you are related to his policies in some fashion. But hey, you can suck it up all you want. I'm not buying it. I see way too many alter universes out there that say things are not that much better.

Maybe, just maybe, you need to rethink how bad things really were when he took office?

hollow......

I think you have to ask yourself.....has he delivered the way he promised and are we REALLY that much better off? Not really....unless you are related to his policies in some fashion. But hey, you can suck it up all you want. I'm not buying it. I see way too many alter universes out there that say things are not that much better.

Maybe, just maybe, you need to rethink how bad things really were when he took office?

Will Obama ever have to stand on his own? He wanted the job and promised he'd balance the budget by the end of his 1st term. How many lies are you willing to allow Obama to get away with? They are legion in number. You don't allow other administrations a bit slack but Obama is virtually allowed to lie at will and you have no problem whatsoever with that. Yes, the economy is somewhat better off than we were but that progress is in spite of Obama not because of Obama. Hell, I'd be willing to bet we'd be better off if he'd simply stayed on the golf course and out of the White House altogether. Wages are not up and the labor force participation rate makes the unemployment number a ruse. Consumer confidence is up because gas prices are down..a materialization that Obama had not one dayum thing to do with no matter how hard he tries to take credit for it. Income inequality is worse now than ever and he wants to throw a bone to the middle class by proposing a raise in the minimum wage. His line about those thinking it possible to live off the minimum wage should try it was utterly pathetic. The reality is minimum wage was never intended to be sufficient to support a family but the only jobs that are becoming available are entry level 30 hour a week service industry jobs....you can than Obama Care for that. As far a his promise of free college...I would ask why doesn't he just provide free toilet paper for everyone as a Community College Diploma isn't worth the paper its printed on and a roll of toilet tissue at least has some value. The price of a college degree is up 1000% since 1978 and, the sad reality is, we have unemployed and under employed college graduates lined up in waiting living at home, many of which have given up on ever finding suitable employment, and we people like you telling us how good everything is. LOL.

Raise taxes and spend 3 times what those taxes amount to. The same old BS that the democrats have sponsored and ALL of which have failed miserably going back 50 years to the Great Society debacle. We have more people on food stamps and receiving govt assistance than when the legislation passed and this guy's solution is spend more money to "fix" the problems. He is the biggest sender in American history without a doubt because in progressive's world every problem is reduced to a matter of quantitative economics no matter how many times it has to be proven that throwing money at it THAT WE DONT HAVE, wont fix it..

Our foreign policies have destroyed our credibility with our allies. Obama is not a practical politician just an ideological politician. He's shrewd though, I will concede that as he has set up the almost certain gridlock that's going to follow to be the opposition party's fault. I love his duplicity when it comes to his "genuine" desire to work with republicans followed up with an immediate promise to veto any bill they send him. He says we need to do things differently and he had a perfect opportunity but instead resorted to childish sophomoric jabs at republicans. He's the President. it is up to him to set the agenda but the guy has absolutely no interest in working with republicans unless they're willing to do everything he says which ahs always been his idea of working together.

In conclusion, his speech sounded like a campaign speech..what a frickin surprise, right? Six years in and he's still playing politics instead of trying find practical solutions to real problems.

hollow......

Maybe, just maybe he's just another lying politician who used emotion and not experience to take the top spot in the land (outside of Coach Malzhan) and made grand promises he knew he wouldn't keep. Then his lack of leadership on top of that......my opinion. Not going to change anytime soon.

hollow......

Maybe, just maybe he's just another lying politician who used emotion and not experience to take the top spot in the land (outside of Coach Malzhan) and made grand promises he knew he wouldn't keep. Then his lack of leadership on top of that......my opinion. Not going to change anytime soon.

That's evasion and obfuscation.

This is one of the problems on this forum. Very few responses address the questions actually pose. They just use the quote function as a springboard to jump a different direction.

hollow......

Will Obama ever have to stand on his own? He wanted the job and promised he'd balance the budget by the end of his 1st term. How many lies are you willing to allow Obama to get away with? They are legion in number. You don't allow other administrations a bit slack but Obama is virtually allowed to lie at will and you have no problem whatsoever with that. Yes, the economy is somewhat better off than we were but that progress is in spite of Obama not because of Obama. Hell, I'd be willing to bet we'd be better off if he'd simply stayed on the golf course and out of the White House altogether. Wages are not up and the labor force participation rate makes the unemployment number a ruse. Consumer confidence is up because gas prices are down..a materialization that Obama had not one dayum thing to do with no matter how hard he tries to take credit for it. Income inequality is worse now than ever and he wants to throw a bone to the middle class by proposing a raise in the minimum wage. His line about those thinking it possible to live off the minimum wage should try it was utterly pathetic. The reality is minimum wage was never intended to be sufficient to support a family but the only jobs that are becoming available are entry level 30 hour a week service industry jobs....you can than Obama Care for that. As far a his promise of free college...I would ask why doesn't he just provide free toilet paper for everyone as a Community College Diploma isn't worth the paper its printed on and a roll of toilet tissue at least has some value. The price of a college degree is up 1000% since 1978 and, the sad reality is, we have unemployed and under employed college graduates lined up in waiting living at home, many of which have given up on ever finding suitable employment, and we people like you telling us how good everything is. LOL.

Raise taxes and spend 3 times what those taxes amount to. The same old BS that the democrats have sponsored and ALL of which have failed miserably going back 50 years to the Great Society debacle. We have more people on food stamps and receiving govt assistance than when the legislation passed and this guy's solution is spend more money to "fix" the problems. He is the biggest sender in American history without a doubt because in progressive's world every problem is reduced to a matter of quantitative economics no matter how many times it has to be proven that throwing money at it THAT WE DONT HAVE, wont fix it..

Our foreign policies have destroyed our credibility with our allies. Obama is not a practical politician just an ideological politician. He's shrewd though, I will concede that as he has set up the almost certain gridlock that's going to follow to be the opposition party's fault. I love his duplicity when it comes to his "genuine" desire to work with republicans followed up with an immediate promise to veto any bill they send him. He says we need to do things differently and he had a perfect opportunity but instead resorted to childish sophomoric jabs at republicans. He's the President. it is up to him to set the agenda but the guy has absolutely no interest in working with republicans unless they're willing to do everything he says which ahs always been his idea of working together.

In conclusion, his speech sounded like a campaign speech..what a frickin surprise, right? Six years in and he's still playing politics instead of trying find practical solutions to real problems.

Good stuff. (Could have used a few more paragraph breaks, but at least there were a few.)

But would you say that we are - as a whole - better off now than at the beginning of 2008?

There you have it! The "smarminess" (being polite) of "try not answering this one".........No "try" involved....Ask and Ye shall receive.

Do you contend that we

hollow......

Can you be more specific? Perhaps pointing out something in the speech that reflects your views?

I, I, I, I, (won) and at the end God Bless the nation we love. Woo Hoo! In between a bunch of outlandish wishes for liberals to drink up like fine wine while millions hope for something more than another stage show (God knows there's plenty of that going on in DC).

He's the perfect leader for this generation. Epic.

If you are talking about his response to the applause he got when saying he won't run again, I thought that was a pretty good comeback. Arguably too informal, but what so what? The applause was inappropriate to.

I didn't follow the rest. I think you just don't like him, which is fair, but that speech doesn't reflect any justification for your biased impression IMO.

I thought the applause was classless. Obama's response? Maybe a "C" but, given the circumstance I'll give him a pass.

Overall, I thought he played to his constituents.

Chance of his announced programs success? Just a guess. Less than 20% if he maintains his motive operandi.

hollow......

Blue, I would support you in a run for public office. Alas, I bet you are too good a person...

There you have it! The "smarminess" (being polite) of "try not answering this one".........No "try" involved....Ask and Ye shall receive.

Do you contend that we

hollow......

Can you be more specific? Perhaps pointing out something in the speech that reflects your views?

I, I, I, I, (won) and at the end God Bless the nation we love. Woo Hoo! In between a bunch of outlandish wishes for liberals to drink up like fine wine while millions hope for something more than another stage show (God knows there's plenty of that going on in DC).

If you are talking about his response to the applause he got when saying he won't run again, I thought that was a pretty good comeback. Arguably too informal, but what so what? The applause was inappropriate to.

I didn't follow the rest. I think you just don't like him, which is fair, but that speech doesn't reflect any justification for your biased impression IMO.

I thought the applause was classless. Obama's response? Maybe a "C" but, given the circumstance I'll give him a pass.

Chance of his announced programs success? Just a guess. Less than 20% if he maintains his motive operandi.

PBS had a bit about the history of the SOTU address that was very interesting. It talked about how it has evolved - like with the applause responses. It's become progressively less formal, and Obama is extending that trend, for better or worse.

Personally, I thought it was a really good come-back, venue issues aside. (It's the sort of come back that I always think of too late. ;D ) I understand he also ad-libbed a little when emphasizing to the Republicans that was good news!

I don't care how you feel about Obama, he can give a good speech. I didn't like Reagan, but I would certainly admit the same of him.

hollow......

Sounds as though you haven't heard of the programs in Tennessee and Chicago that the plan is based on. Private enterprise actually has a lot to do with the curriculum.

I have heard of the programs although not researched. Sounds promising. Let's hope. Even pray.

Do you contend that we

hollow......

PBS had a bit about the history of the SOTU address that was very interesting. It talked about how it has evolved - like with the applause responses. It's become progressively less formal, and Obama is extending that trend, for better or worse.

Personally, I thought it was a really good come-back, venue issues aside. (It's the sort of come back that I always think of too late. ;D ) I understand he also ad-libbed a little when emphasizing to the Republicans that was good news!

I don't care how you feel about Obama, he can give a good speech. I didn't like Reagan, but I would certainly admit the same of him.

One of the best.

Higher health care cost, more people on welfare ,more people below poverty level incomes, accumulate more national debt than every previous president combined, buddy up with the Cuba and Iran, well he promised change but he didnt say you would like it!

After much deliberation, I have decided that POTUS should honestly just let Congress do whatever they want for the next two years, because there are two possible outcomes:

1.) Things go fantastic, and POTUS takes credit/looks like a genius.

2.) s*** hits the fan, and he blames the GOP led Congress.

Regardless, he wins.

Higher health care cost, more people on welfare ,more people below poverty level incomes, accumulate more national debt than every previous president combined, buddy up with the Cuba and Iran, well he promised change but he didnt say you would like it!

The 1% is doing very well. If he would be as kind to business as he has to his big $$$ contributors, the economy could REALLY begin to GROW !!!

The 1% is doing very well. If he would be as kind to business as he has to his big $$$ contributors, the economy could REALLY begin to GROW !!!

"the economy could REALLY begin to GROW!!!"

Please point me to a President or timeframe of this "REALLY GROWing economy" thing so that I can see the example of what you mean.

Thank you

I can't wait to use all these regurgitated talking points on the next Republican president. I try to use them on Bush but everyone (FOX news watchers) just quote, "that is the past".

#1 Health care cost - When Bush took office employer-sponsored health insurance premiums were estimated at under $6,000 and rose to over $12,000 by the time he stepped down.

#1a Lets put "uninsured" into this as well - 38 million were uninsured when Bush took office and 46 million were uninsured when he left office. (my guess is it's back under 40 million by now)

#2 welfare - SNAP roughly rose from 20 billion per year to 40 billion per year with Bush (this peaked in 2012 and has been dropping since so let me get back to you on this number when Obama steps out)

#3 poverty levels and household income - Bush steps into office and median income is around $52,500. He steps out and it is $50,300??? Bush in, 31.6 million poverty... Bush out, 39.8 million poverty??? (after inflation is accounted for the average median income is most likely above $53,000 right now and I can only guess the poverty should be around 40 to 45 million and dropping by the year)

#4 Raising the debt - Let me first address for the mathematically challenged that 7 trillion is less than 10 trillion so you can decide on WarTim's comment of "accumulate more national debt than every previous president combined".

(Back to subject) Yes Obama is the bench mark, but the last Bush was the benchmark before him at 5.8 trillion dollars. A 3rd grader could make an educated guess that the next president will set the benchmark yet again.

#5 Foreign policy - Bush = blow them up!!!

Can't wait to compare the next president with these

I can't wait to use all these regurgitated talking points on the next Republican president. I try to use them on Bush but everyone (FOX news watchers) just quote, "that is the past".

#1 Health care cost - When Bush took office employer-sponsored health insurance premiums were estimated at under $6,000 and rose to over $12,000 by the time he stepped down.

#1a Lets put "uninsured" into this as well - 38 million were uninsured when Bush took office and 46 million were uninsured when he left office. (my guess is it's back under 40 million by now)

#2 welfare - SNAP roughly rose from 20 billion per year to 40 billion per year with Bush (this peaked in 2012 and has been dropping since so let me get back to you on this number when Obama steps out)

#3 poverty levels and household income - Bush steps into office and median income is around $52,500. He steps out and it is $50,300??? Bush in, 31.6 million poverty... Bush out, 39.8 million poverty??? (after inflation is accounted for the average median income is most likely above $53,000 right now and I can only guess the poverty should be around 40 to 45 million and dropping by the year)

#4 Raising the debt - Yes Obama is the bench mark, but the last Bush was the benchmark before him at 5.8 trillion dollars. A 3rd grader could make an educated guess that the next president will set the benchmark again.

#5 Foreign policy - Bush = blow them up!!!

Can't wait to compare the next president with these

I can't wait for the next President not only to be a Republican.....but a Leader!! (and no more leading "from behind"...)

I can't wait for the next President not only to be a Republican.....but a Leader!! (and no more leading "from behind"...)

Leading "from behind"

So, Bush gets the United Kingdom, Australia, and Poland (with a few Iraq rebel forces) to war in Iraq by leading.

Obama gets 28 nations to war in Lybia by "leading from behind".

So, Bush sends over 150,000 troops to find and destroy "weapons of mass destruction" in his "war against terror" only to find out there were no "WMD" and the Hussein led Iraq was our biggest helper in the middle east at deterring Al Qaeda. That is what I call "the blind LEADING the blind" at it's best.

Obama never puts a boot on the ground and Syria not only dismantles "WMDs" but the factories as well.

So, Bush leads the UK, Australia, Germany, Italy, and Canada into the war against Al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Obama leads.... let's just say a WHOLE LOT MORE into the fight against ISIS!!!

Here is the funniest thing of all this "leading" vomit spewed. The GOP has done nothing to pass LAWS in this country in how long now? Obama uses executive action to set in motion "SOMETHING" and he is called a dictator by the very people that says he is not a "leader".

Al Qaeda attacked America remember? NATO decided to support the US per our agreements, and obama over stepped his authority with his executive orders, please read the Federalist Papers these will clear up the confusion , and Bush has been out of office 6 years Obama has to own this mess.

Al Qaeda attacked America remember? NATO decided to support the US per our agreements, and obama over stepped his authority with his executive orders, please read the Federalist Papers these will clear up the confusion , and Bush has been out of office 6 years Obama has to own this mess.

First, global history doesn't re-set with a new POTUS. Secondly, the point is the "mess" is not as bad now as when Obama took office.

"Al Qaeda attacked America remember?" My point exactly if you had taken your FOX glasses off. Iraq was actually the biggest detriment to Al Qaeda in the middle east yet Bush sold a lie. This is ignorant to even debate.

"NATO" Are you trying to sell me that every NATO country stood behind Bush and his actions in Iraq? Forget it... I will play your game anyway.

NATO supported both Bush(Iraq and Afghan) and Obama(Libya and Isis). The difference that I was pointing out was that Obama has had United Nations support for both Libya and Isis plus many other countries that even I would have never thought would even give us a grass strip to land on. I feel dumber just explaining this point.

"Overstepped" Obama has issued 194 EO's while Bush issued 291.

"The Federalist Papers" Now tell us all the truth. Have you read the Federalist Papers or did you learn that new word on a FOX prime time slot???? The Federalist Papers is mostly about the Legislative Branch of government because of their purse power. BUTTTT if this is how we are going to judge Obamas actions then I can judge Bush by The Federalists Papers. Why waste my time with details? Bush was, for lack of a better term, the "antichrist" of what the Federalists had in mind.

"Cleaning up messes" Yawnnnnn.... Bush made a mess while he was in office. If you still think that we are worse now than we were January 19th of 2008 then bless your heart.

One thing we ALL have to face...our CIC is nothing if not a predictable, almost pathological liar. I guess lying is so much more expedient to an agenda than facing the obvious reality that the entire slate is a miserable failure. People in here obsess daily over what they call Bush lies but not only give Obama a pass on his they actually attempt to defend the lies as if they can be defended.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/21/associated-press-fact-check-tears-apart-obamas-state-of-the-union-claims/

"The Associated Press released a fact check of President Barack Obama’s 2015 State of the Union address, and their analysis is not kind to Obama’s claims." (RELATED: Washington Post Fact Checker: Obama Flip-Flopped On Executive Amnesty)

Leading "from behind"

So, Bush gets the United Kingdom, Australia, and Poland (with a few Iraq rebel forces) to war in Iraq by leading.

Obama gets 28 nations to war in Lybia by "leading from behind".

So, Bush sends over 150,000 troops to find and destroy "weapons of mass destruction" in his "war against terror" only to find out there were no "WMD" and the Hussein led Iraq was our biggest helper in the middle east at deterring Al Qaeda. That is what I call "the blind LEADING the blind" at it's best.

Obama never puts a boot on the ground and Syria not only dismantles "WMDs" but the factories as well.

So, Bush leads the UK, Australia, Germany, Italy, and Canada into the war against Al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Obama leads.... let's just say a WHOLE LOT MORE into the fight against ISIS!!!

Here is the funniest thing of all this "leading" vomit spewed. The GOP has done nothing to pass LAWS in this country in how long now? Obama uses executive action to set in motion "SOMETHING" and he is called a dictator by the very people that says he is not a "leader".

Actually the WMDs were found in Iraq. They primarily consisted of 155 artillery shells that had been hidden and stockpiled by the Iraqi army. The ny times and other media outlets did several stories last year on the finds. Several U.S. military personnel came into contact with leaking chemical warfare agents too. Sarin and other nerve agent weapons were found including 2400 rockets containing nerve gas agent.

Archived