Unemployment under 6%

aubfaninga

Any sound "leaving the workforce" discussion has to start with a macro analysis of the baby boomer generation entering retirement age (DYK retirements account for over half of the fall in the participation rate?) ...

Aging baby boomers, those Americans born between 1946 and 1964, account for approximately half of the drop in the labor force participation rate since 2007, according to a report released. The remaining decline stems from “cyclical factors” fairly typical of historic economic recessions and more difficult-to-explain “residual factors” from the crisis.

“We wouldn’t expect the participation rate to return to its pre-crisis levels and in fact, we weren’t expecting that even prior to the crisis,” Furman said at a forum on labor market challenges hosted by the Brookings Institution’s Hamilton Project Thursday in Washington.

The participation rate started rising in the early 60s as women entered the labor force and later as baby boomers hit their prime working ages, reached a peak of 67 percent in 2000 and since then has generally fallen. It’s been dragged down by a leveling off of female participation, the retirements of baby boomers and shocks of the financial crisis.

Learn more: http://www.usnews.co...on-rate-decline

BUT BUT BUT .... OBAMA'S OBAMA'S OBAMA'S FAULT!

Tell that to all these college grads who can't find work anywhere other than Target or your local eatery. Tell that to the soldier, airman, sailor, marine, coastie coming off of active duty. Is that Obama's fault? Not really.....but he hasn't done much to address it and he once again promised to do so. But hey....he's a pie in the sky liberal. What more can you ask for?

Did FOX news not give you the memo??? The people that are actively looking for jobs do not count toward the "out of workplace" number. Stay within the lines please.

IF they don't have a job, they are out of a job. I haven't watched a news broadcast in three weeks other than to watch the SOTU. Did you not get that memo? ;)/>

People can't find work or they are above working for less than 20 dollars an hour?

Snyder-Lance and Kelloggs in Columbus has had a hard time filling positions. KIA has even had to hold job fairs recently.

I have no desire to find another job but I can bet that I could find one making at least 12 dollars an hour within a month. It is crazy how many people that I have met that feel they are above a manufacturing job just because they went to college.

I agree with this ^^^^^^^. Society, especially academia, has black listed manufacturing jobs for years as if it were subhuman to work a job like that. If the president wants my attention he would spend the next two years focusing on changing that mindset.

Seems to me, the fundamental problem is a lack of jobs that pay a living wage. Should our government, entice, coerce, or even force, American companies to manufacture here? Is it corrupt and hypocritical to uphold standards in this country for labor practices and environmental protections while, ignoring the reality of all the implications of outsourcing? Are we exporting the American dream or, are we ultimately importing the third world model of economics? Is there an inherent economic benefit to equality? Without the ability to consume, what happens to our massive potential to produce? Is the greatest product of American industry and our form of government, the middle class, a working class capable of mass consumption? Are the real keys to prosperity and economic growth found in protecting the rich, the poor, or by simply balancing our ability to produce with our ability to consume? How long can you have one without the other? How long can you use credit to supplement consumption? How many bubbles do you have to endure? How much debt can the U.S. government carry and, for how long?

I stand amazed at the incredible lack of understanding on this board from the PC Crowd.

I point out that all the premature ejaculation about the low Unemployment Numbers needs to be tempered with the reality that there are still 8-11M folks out there no longer looking for work.

Now, as Rob says, there are some that are now retired-due-to-job-loss from the Boomers. Even extremely optimistically estimated at half, that still means that there is somewhere near 4-5M out there unemployed, not feeding their families, not doing esteem building work. While the economy is very slowly improving :cheer: there are still Millions out there not feeling any of the improvement.

I agree w/ tempering emotions over unemployment rate figs but also realize the old "norms" as it relates to participation rates aren't coming back because of macro factors. Regardless, with each passing month, it's becoming increasingly hard to argue we're not making progress on the jobs front.

I agree w/ tempering emotions over unemployment rate figs but also realize the old "norms" as it relates to participation rates aren't coming back because of macro factors. Regardless, with each passing month, it's becoming increasingly hard to argue we're not making progress on the jobs front.

After 6 years there should be some movement. When the median income starts rebounding alongside the unemployment rate let me know. Until then we still have a looooooonnnnnnng way to go and someone needs to get busy with changing the jobs climate.

I stand amazed at the incredible lack of understanding on this board from the PC Crowd.

I point out that all the premature ejaculation about the low Unemployment Numbers needs to be tempered with the reality that there are still 8-11M folks out there no longer looking for work.

Now, as Rob says, there are some that are now retired-due-to-job-loss from the Boomers. Even extremely optimistically estimated at half, that still means that there is somewhere near 4-5M out there unemployed, not feeding their families, not doing esteem building work. While the economy is very slowly improving :cheer: there are still Millions out there not feeling any of the improvement.

It's all good as long as it's hurting a new group of millions.....like the ACA.

Archived