'No zeros' grading policy awards students half credit for work they don't turn in

Auburn85

Can't make kids upset by telling them that they need to improve or study harder, that would upset their precious self-esteem. Better to just give them good grades without effort and prepare them for the real world because employers will be on the street corner just giving away $80,000 per year jobs to everyone!

It only does one thing, sets them up for dependency on the government.

In fairness, a 50 is still an F.

I'd have less of a problem if they were still willing to give 0s for work not turned in. I don't have a problem with limiting the grade at 50 on an assignment if the kid is actually putting forth the effort.

Apparently you missed the part where a student that actually tried can score LESS than the student that did nothing.

And once again "everybody gets a trophy" This mentality is at the core of public education today. This will assure a generation eager to live off the government. That is the goal of certain "folks"...

And one of the tactics used here is saying that some are "making too big of a deal about this" when you know that this isn't a good policy.

Instead of rewarding excellence, it rewards laziness. And in the end, these same kids who were given grades, will then blame the school, their teachers, and their families for not doing their jobs, and for putting them in their current position.

"If the schools and teachers did their job of preparing me and pushing me, I wouldn't be without a job."

It's one ****** principal in one ****** school for Crissakes! So thanks for proving my point. :-\/>

The principal is the one responsible for outcomes, so let her do her job.

I never said that it was nationwide. Relax, it's just a discussion. Nothing to make a huge deal about.

Good grief. :slapfh:/>

My sarcasm kinda flew directly over the ole cranial space huh. ;D

Can't make kids upset by telling them that they need to improve or study harder, that would upset their precious self-esteem. Better to just give them good grades without effort and prepare them for the real world because employers will be on the street corner just giving away $80,000 per year jobs to everyone!

I'd have less of a problem if they were still willing to give 0s for work not turned in. I don't have a problem with limiting the grade at 50 on an assignment if the kid is actually putting forth the effort.

Apparently you missed the part where a student that actually tried can score LESS than the student that did nothing.

And once again "everybody gets a trophy" This mentality is at the core of public education today. This will assure a generation eager to live off the government. That is the goal of certain "folks"...

Yep to both...

If they're baselining the grade at 50, I don't see how that's the case. If student A scores 50s in lieu of 40s, and student B is given 50s in lieu of 0s, then they both average out to 50. Either way, both students get held back.

But like I said, I'd have less of a problem with the policy if they still gave out 0s on work not turned in.

"[Principal Williams] didn't have a problem with teachers assigning students whatever grades they got on assignments...

"A child who does 50 percent of the work and a child who does zero percent of the work could end up with the same grade,"

This wasnt said straight forwardly, but i took it from the article that a student can receive the grade they earned and that 50% completion gets you the same grade as 0% work.

These grades are on course work, not tests. You can do zero course work and make good enough on the tests to still pass. Add a bell curve to the test and the you are sliding even more out the door with minimal work.

As someone that taught in Community College, you are crippling them for later down the road.

Exactly DKW. That is the point that many miss. To let kids slide by doesn't help them, it hurts them. And they end up blaming those that let them slide by when they get into the real world and find out that Warren Buffett will not just walk up to them and hand them a million dollars.

Archived