Men at Tennessee - Post-Game Thread

InfernoOrangeSS

Tough loss, but as someone else stated...building blocks. Foundation is being laid for greatness.

War Eagle!

Can anyone shed some light as to why Bruce was crying post game? I understand what he did there at Tenn but it wasn't like we got beat at the buzzer or anything ? Not trying to hate just curious?

Because he loved his time coaching at UTk.

He envisioned that would be the last place he would coach. He has/had deep ties to the community. It's very understandable that such a passionate person would show emotion going back there.

Tough loss, but as someone else stated...building blocks. Foundation is being laid for greatness.

War Eagle!

What foundation exactly? Most of the players here this year won't be here next year...We will be starting all over again next year.

Scary fact: if we lose at LSU Thursday, we will have tied Tony Barbees worst SEC start at 2-7... There is no way the talent level this year is as bad as the worst TB had... I'm sure we will have a great signing class and our point guard that will be eligible next year should make a huge difference (of course so should having KT, Cinmeon and Mason but I digress)

War Eagle!

What foundation exactly? Most of the players here this year won't be here next year...We will be starting all over again next year. I'm hoping we sign one hell of a class this year or we won't be any better than we are now.

Did you not read this in the last post game thread?

Got whipped on offense, defense and inbound passes...not even sure where we go from here. Season is already completely over and it will be a miracle if we finish with a better record than last year at this point. Don't really care what the circumstances are....2-5 in the SEC without even having played the top teams in the conference is inexcusable. Offensive coaching is non existent...Can't remember one time this entire year seeing a playcall happen on the court (not out of a timeout). We play tough D but this brickyard have no plan offense is plain awful and needs to be completely scrapped immediately. We have good scorers (3 of them) and can't utilize them at all. This isn't a complete talent issue...it's a coaching and mentality issue as well and those things don't get fixed mid season. I expect next year we will be a little better, but this season ain't happenin

IMO, Pearl is running an offense of the future. For recruiting purposes. You may be somewhat correct on what O would win games this year. He is not here for this year, only. He is trying to show big time recruits HOW we will play. Everything appears to me to be coached better. Coaches can't make shots. Our #1 option may not be a #3 at Texas A&M, and wouldn't start for Kentucky. Point guard play is not good, no disrespect meant to our guys. The lefty last year (Denson?) would definitely improve this teams record. I have watched basketball for years. Played for years at a sandlot level. If you can't see the difference, in players, and coaches, well....I think I do. I will be patient and frustrated. But patient....

War Eagle!

What foundation exactly? Most of the players here this year won't be here next year...We will be starting all over again next year. I'm hoping we sign one hell of a class this year or we won't be any better than we are now.

Did you not read this in the last post game thread?

Got whipped on offense, defense and inbound passes...not even sure where we go from here. Season is already completely over and it will be a miracle if we finish with a better record than last year at this point. Don't really care what the circumstances are....2-5 in the SEC without even having played the top teams in the conference is inexcusable. Offensive coaching is non existent...Can't remember one time this entire year seeing a playcall happen on the court (not out of a timeout). We play tough D but this brickyard have no plan offense is plain awful and needs to be completely scrapped immediately. We have good scorers (3 of them) and can't utilize them at all. This isn't a complete talent issue...it's a coaching and mentality issue as well and those things don't get fixed mid season. I expect next year we will be a little better, but this season ain't happenin

IMO, Pearl is running an offense of the future. For recruiting purposes. You may be somewhat correct on what O would win games this year. He is not here for this year, only. He is trying to show big time recruits HOW we will play. Everything appears to me to be coached better. Coaches can't make shots. Our #1 option may not be a #3 at Texas A&M, and wouldn't start for Kentucky. Point guard play is not good, no disrespect meant to our guys. The lefty last year (Denson?) would definitely improve this teams record. I have watched basketball for years. Played for years at a sandlot level. If you can't see the difference, in players, and coaches, well....I think I do. I will be patient and frustrated. But patient....

You caught me in the middle of typing...reread please...my phone somehow posted before I was done and I had to edit to finish

War Eagle!

What foundation exactly? Most of the players here this year won't be here next year...We will be starting all over again next year.

Scary fact: if we lose at LSU Thursday, we will have tied Tony Barbees worst SEC start at 2-7... There is no way the talent level this year is as bad as the worst TB had... I'm sure we will have a great signing class and our point guard that will be eligible next year should make a huge difference (of course so should having KT, Cinmeon and Mason but I digress)

The only way we will be better next year is if some great kids show up on campus that we have not seen yet. We are probably 2 or 3 years away from a winning SEC season.

This is an awful basketball team, but these last two losses have been much easier to watch. Having honestly lowered my expectations and looking for the things CBP is looking to change, it makes the games watchable. Defense was respectable in this one and the aTm gave, but it's D2 talent vs D1 talent.

My big concern for the future is whether recruits see this and think that maybe CBP isn't going to succeed here. Hopefully next year with a new batch of players, he will be able to get AU to around .500 setting up better chances in 2017 and on. This is a long building process, and I'm learning to be patient with it.

Bruce gives us the best shot at getting things turned around. We might as well be patient long enough for it to happen. I hope the fan base does not run off a guy like Bruce. IMO if he doesn't get it done no one will.

Bruce gives us the best shot at getting things turned around. We might as well be patient long enough for it to happen. I hope the fan base does not run off a guy like Bruce. IMO if he doesn't get it done no one will.

I highly doubt the fan base runs him off, my concern is him getting a shot at a place that's easier to win at or going back to UT.

I highly doubt the fan base runs him off, my concern is him getting a shot at a place that's easier to win at or going back to UT.

Yeah, even folks like me that are very frustrated with bball this year wouldnt even think twice about running him off without giving him several years (like6) to atleast improve. Hopefully the culture is repairable quick enough that he wont discouraged and head for greener pastures

Yeah, even folks like me that are very frustrated with bball this year wouldnt even think twice about running him off without giving him several years (like6) to atleast improve. Hopefully the culture is repairable quick enough that he wont discouraged and head for greener pastures

I actually feel the opposite. I believe he wants this to be his last stop. He was mentioning wanting to create a legacy somewhere. Either way if we can win sooner than later it will help all the way around.

His first 4 game losing streak of his twenty something year career. If he didn't fully grasp what level the program was at, he does now. Welcome to Auburn sir and sorry about us being that nasty little stat in your bio. :)

I actually feel the opposite. I believe he wants this to be his last stop. He was mentioning wanting to create a legacy somewhere. Either way if we can win sooner than later it will help all the way around.

Exactly. Bruce Pearl himself said he wants to build something. He knows full well the shortcomings of this program and knew them coming in. He said in his introductory press conference that he wants to be the All Time winningest coach in Auburn basketball. He's in it for the long haul. He's not going anywhere.

Exactly. Bruce Pearl himself said he wants to build something. He knows full well the shortcomings of this program and knew them coming in. He said in his introductory press conference that he wants to be the All Time winningest coach in Auburn basketball. He's in it for the long haul. He's not going anywhere.

Not to be a nagative ninny, but coaches say a lot of things at press converences, "I'll leave in a pinebox,", "I have not interest in coaching at uat,", "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

I have no reason to doubt him, but losing does things to competitive people.

Not to be a nagative ninny, but coaches say a lot of things at press converences, "I'll leave in a pinebox,", "I have not interest in coaching at uat,", "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

I have no reason to doubt him, but losing does things to competitive people.

Those are 3 isolated incidents that have zero to do with Auburn basketball or Bruce Pearl. Cherry picking like that is just reaching for something negative, IMO. Bruce Pearl has never said anything to make us doubt his sincerity.

BP has not been a job-hopper and I'm pretty certain if he not gotten into trouble UTk he would still be there.

IMO, the only place that would be a threat to take him from AU would be UTk but their guy is doing OK so I figure he is here for a while.

IMO CBP is a wonderful guy and a proven winner. I have the utmost faith in his abilities to build a killer program. Something like that from absolutely NOTHING (I think in our case we were worse than nothing if that's possible!) is going to take time. Possibly a LOT of time. Like another poster said, I'd say a minimum of 6 year commitment to him. Anything less and you're naive to how this stuff works.

I don't care how many losses we get this year. Stop comparing his losses to that guy we had last year. There's a hell of a mess to clean up and then there's a program to build. If you think that's going to magically happen in 1-2 years, you're just silly-or have a very strong imagination.

It does take time to build a Basketball program but it will not take 6 years. Basketball unlike football one great class can turn it around. Next years class is a really good class not a great class we will have a few solid players like Bowers returning and hopefully a year building Reed up physically and teaching him will at least make him a shot blocking, rebounding presence. Because of loosing Harrel and Mason we won't be great next year but we will be better than this year. One more good class after this and we should be very solid and have a chance to go to post season play. How we improve over next two years will determine if we can then go the next step where we can compete with a Kentucky or a Duke. I believe we have to make it to post season NCAA or NIT by end of his third year or we will have trouble recruiting the top talent needed to go to the next level.

Based on Class coming in next year and people Bruce has contacted for following year I think he will do it.

It does take time to build a Basketball program but it will not take 6 years. Basketball unlike football one great class can turn it around. Next years class is a really good class not a great class we will have a few solid players like Bowers returning and hopefully a year building Reed up physically and teaching him will at least make him a shot blocking, rebounding presence. Because of loosing Harrel and Mason we won't be great next year but we will be better than this year. One more good class after this and we should be very solid and have a chance to go to post season play. How we improve over next two years will determine if we can then go the next step where we can compete with a Kentucky or a Duke. I believe we have to make it to post season NCAA or NIT by end of his third year or we will have trouble recruiting the top talent needed to go to the next level.

Based on Class coming in next year and people Bruce has contacted for following year I think he will do it.

True, you can turn a program in a year or two but if you are trying to do it with JUCos and transfers, you can also see it go south in just a year also or if some kids leave unexpectedly.

Here is a great link to the transfers in 2014....hundreds of kids changing schools for various reasons.....

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10702122/tracking-every-transfer-2014-offseason-college-basketball

Many times the coaches are happy to see them go but not if the school keeps shuffling its talent year by year... or promising players leave before they earn the right to play.

Next year is a total mystery at this point because we have no idea who will be playing....almost no carry-forward.

True, you can turn a program in a year or two but if you are trying to do it with JUCos and transfers, you can also see it go south in just a year also or if some kids leave unexpectedly.

Here is a great link to the transfers in 2014....hundreds of kids changing schools for various reasons.....

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10702122/tracking-every-transfer-2014-offseason-college-basketball

Many times the coaches are happy to see them go but not if the school keeps shuffling its talent year by year... or promising players leave before they earn the right to play.

Next year is a total mystery at this point because we have no idea who will be playing....almost no carry-forward.

By Auburn standards we will have some top notch new talent next year Counting Reed from this year 3 4 stars and 3 3 stars

Trayvon Reed 4* Center

Horace Spencer 4* PF

Daniel Purifoy 4* SF

New Williams 3* PG

Bryce Brown 3* SG

TJ Dunans 3* SG

Plus returning players

Bowers PF

Shamsid-Deen PG

Thompson SF

Lang SF & SG

Granger SF

Atwe C & PF

We should have enough quality players where we can press on D the whole game as we can sub players. This year we press but we only do a token press most of the time as we don't have enough skilled bodies to press hard the whole game.

While you are correct we don't know who will start next year just based on stars we will be better next year. One key will be Reed if he can put on enough muscle before next year so that he can be a defensive and rebounding presence next year. The press is more effective if you have a big man underneath to pick up some one who beats the press and gets in the lane.

Archived