Women vs. Texas A&M

WarTiger

One wonders - do they spend so much time working on the press that little time is spent working on the half-court offense. Also - when I coached and it was a long time ago but no matter the level of play or sport - we worked on fundamentals at almost every practice. In basketball is was - passing drills, defensive stance, lay-ups (which we don't seem to be able to make with any consistency), foul shooting, etc.......I'm not convinced that all of this is due to the level of player.......but lack of player development as they transition from high school to D1.....and freshman to sophomore..... However - in looking at the class she has coming in - it's more of the same size, etc......we'll need more than just pressing if we are going to get out of the SEC cellar...which doesn't look promising for this year. The loss of C-Mo only makes matters worse.... : (

You may know much more about BBYouYou may know much more about BB than I do since I only played in HS and intramurals at AU, but if 0-8 in the SEC is still having control over your team and this season, then I would really hate to see the results if Flo had lost it.

Not everything is about the record. An 0-8 SEC record doesn't at all equate to losing control of the team. Like others have mentioned, this team lacks basic basketball fundamentals. Those basic fundamentals that they really should already know. Passing at times is abysmal. Shooting at times is abysmal. Free throw shooting abysmal. That's not a coach that's lost control, that's a team short on D1 talent. We desperately need to be recruiting better than we have in recent years. There are times (see the uat game) that the players seem to be completely clueless as to the game situation. That's not lost control, that's simply poor coaching. As I said earlier, if Flornouy had lost control of the team then Muhammad would likely still be on the team. She hasn't and she expects more from her players. The bottom line here is we just don't have many good players. I respect them tremendously for going out there every night and doing the absolute best that they can. They deserve better than what they are getting as far as preparation.

You may know much more about BBYouYou may know much more about BB than I do since I only played in HS and intramurals at AU, but if 0-8 in the SEC is still having control over your team and this season, then I would really hate to see the results if Flo had lost it.

Not everything is about the record. An 0-8 SEC record doesn't at all equate to losing control of the team. Like others have mentioned, this team lacks basic basketball fundamentals. Those basic fundamentals that they really should already know. Passing at times is abysmal. Shooting at times is abysmal. Free throw shooting abysmal. That's not a coach that's lost control, that's a team short on D1 talent. We desperately need to be recruiting better than we have in recent years. There are times (see the uat game) that the players seem to be completely clueless as to the game situation. That's not lost control, that's simply poor coaching. As I said earlier, if Flornouy had lost control of the team then Muhammad would likely still be on the team. She hasn't and she expects more from her players. The bottom line here is we just don't have many good players. I respect them tremendously for going out there every night and doing the absolute best that they can. They deserve better than what they are getting as far as preparation.

Lets be clear about this. Nell Fortner recruited well. Terri Williams-Flournoy has, for whatever reason, not recruited on the same level. The remaining two players on this year's team that are quality D-1 SEC players are Hasina and Tracee Tanner. Both players were recruited by Fortner. This is a problem and we do not need to let it ruin this program. There are coaches, such as Jody Adams at Wichita State that could do incredible things with this program if given the opportunity.

I really appreciate War Tiger keeping us updated.

Flo has lost control of this team and season.

I disagree that she has lost control. This team plays very good defense, they just don't have any consistent scorers. Take away one of the leading scorers in Muhammad and its even more difficult to find points. If she had really lost control of the team, Muhammad probably wouldn't have been dismissed.

This is year 3. Who is responsible for not having any players that can shoot a basket?

they spend so much time working on the press that little time is spent working on the half-court offense.

Seems the case for men's and womens bball...looking forward to next year and improvements all around

The difference is that Bruce Pearl in in year 1. Flo is in year 3.

Lets be clear about this. Nell Fortner recruited well. Terri Williams-Flournoy has, for whatever reason, not recruited on the same level. The remaining two players on this year's team that are quality D-1 SEC players are Hasina and Tracee Tanner. Both players were recruited by Fortner. This is a problem and we do not need to let it ruin this program. There are coaches, such as Jody Adams at Wichita State that could do incredible things with this program if given the opportunity.

I like Terry but it's not working out. Wonder if Jody is interested?

I feel the same way. My understanding is that she was last time. I honestly cannot imagine her not being interested. She is from Tennessee and is very familiar with the SEC. I'm still a fan of Kellie Jolly Harper as well.

I feel the same way. My understanding is that she was last time. I honestly cannot imagine her not being interested. She is from Tennessee and is very familiar with the SEC. I'm still a fan of Kellie Jolly Harper as well.

It's early to pull the plug on FLO...as we've often said, it takes 4 or 5 years to turn a program around though in the case when Flo came here, the program was not totally in the dumps...underperforming ...but had been in NIT or NCAA for several years and Nell had brought in some outstanding players.

Seems however that Flo has not been able recruit many SEC caliber players and without the talent, she is not likely to get to the NIT or NCAA anytime soon. Plus, I figure that the best HS players are able to see that a program is going nowhere....and don't seriously consider AU.

It's early to pull the plug on FLO...as we've often said, it takes 4 or 5 years to turn a program around though in the case when Flo came here, the program was not totally in the dumps...underperforming ...but had been in NIT or NCAA for several years and Nell had brought in some outstanding players.

Seems however that Flo has not been able recruit many SEC caliber players and without the talent, she is not likely to get to the NIT or NCAA anytime soon. Plus, I figure that the best HS players are able to see that a program is going nowhere....and don't seriously consider AU.

I don't disagree with the line of thinking, but I have to point out that during the same 3 years, Miss State and Ole Miss have gotten significantly better. Ole Miss fired their entire staff due to NCAA rules violations regarding recruiting JUCO players. They have little to no history compared to AU in women's bball, yet they are outperforming AU. How many players at Florida Gulf Coast, Chattanooga, or USF would have turned down an Auburn offer? Not many. I point all that out, while at the same time admitting that I am fond of Flo. I wasn't excited about the hire when made, but I grew to like the hire very quickly. Her hiring made sense, but I can't help but be alarmed by the total collapse.

Archived