Rand Paul In Action

autigeremt

The usual suspects, up to the same old tricks.

http://rare.us/story...hell-stop-wars/

Oh, Lordy. :rolleyes:/>

This article is a bizarre and nonsDensical appeal to motive. "You're not actually criticizing Paul for his intellectual dishonesty. You just don't like his foreign policy." :laugh:/>

Look, I understand you're probably a Paul supporter, but defending him on this matter isn't a game you're going to win. I only hope he's smart enough to walk it back at this point.

Too bad the audience he's trying to appeal to doesn't see it that way. :no:/>

I agree with Rand that vaccines are good, as do most of his supporters. I also agree that government mandates-even when they mandate generally good things- often have unintended consequences. Those who continue to purposely spin this into "Rand hates vaccines!!!!1" are generally doing so for other reasons. I agree he shouldn't have fallen into the Bachmann trap. Ahhh, Bachmann... another example of a politician who made a somewhat similar-if not worse- statement who wasn't crucified by Jennifer Rubin or the Washington Free Beacon. Weird.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The usual suspects, up to the same old tricks.

http://rare.us/story...hell-stop-wars/

Oh, Lordy. :rolleyes:/>

This article is a bizarre and nonsDensical appeal to motive. "You're not actually criticizing Paul for his intellectual dishonesty. You just don't like his foreign policy." :laugh:/>

Look, I understand you're probably a Paul supporter, but defending him on this matter isn't a game you're going to win. I only hope he's smart enough to walk it back at this point.

Too bad the audience he's trying to appeal to doesn't see it that way. :no:/>

I agree with Rand that vaccines are good, as do most of his supporters. I also agree that government mandates-even when they mandate generally good things- often have unintended consequences. Those who continue to purposely spin this into "Rand hates vaccines!!!!1" are generally doing so for other reasons. I agree he shouldn't have fallen into the Bachmann trap. Ahhh, Bachmann... another example of a politician who made a somewhat similar-if not worse- statement who wasn't crucified by Jennifer Rubin or the Washington Free Beacon. Weird.

I realize that's rhetorical and it's probably true enough for his political enemies, but most of the people who really understand and care about this are looking at his exact words. He implied there are some legitimate reasons not to have your child vaccinated, which is exactly the wrong message to send.

Serious question? Any research done lately to try and determine why these diseases have made a comeback?

As soon as I asked I found this article.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2015/01/26/whats-really-behind-the-measles-outbreak

"Though vaccines have been mostly successful in eradicating measles on a global scale, it remains common in developing countries. According to the World Health Organization, there were 145,700 measles deaths around the world in 2013. Orenstein says the U.S. needs to develop a stronger offense in combating the disease on a global scale."

Seems ironic that this latest outbreak coincides with the rush of children into the country from developed countries. Just ironic I guess.....

Serious question? Any research done lately to try and determine why these diseases have made a comeback?

Really not necessary. There's enough data on vaccination rates to establish certainty. They do a good job tracking these things. In the case of measles, it's because parents stopped vaccinating their kids.

Compare a state like California, with its recent outbreaks, which has seen a decline in the number of parents vaccinating their kids, has the most lenient standards for exemption and the immunization rate varies anywhere from 85-95%, to the state of Mississippi, which hasn't had a measels case in 20 years, where vaccination is mandatory except for illness and maintains a 99% immunization rate.

Really not necessary. There's enough data on vaccination rates to establish certainty. They do a good job tracking these things. In the case of measles, it's because parents stopped vaccinating their kids.

Compare a state like California, with its recent outbreaks, which has seen a decline in the number of parents vaccinating their kids, has the most lenient standards for exemption and the immunization rate varies anywhere from 85-95%, to the state of Mississippi, which hasn't had a measels case in 20 years, where vaccination is mandatory except for illness and maintains a 99% immunization rate.

Really not necessary? Of course not....Ben is on it. ;)/>

How have we dealt with the influx of immigrants from Central America in relationship to vaccinations?

As soon as I asked I found this article.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2015/01/26/whats-really-behind-the-measles-outbreak

"Though vaccines have been mostly successful in eradicating measles on a global scale, it remains common in developing countries. According to the World Health Organization, there were 145,700 measles deaths around the world in 2013. Orenstein says the U.S. needs to develop a stronger offense in combating the disease on a global scale."

Seems ironic that this latest outbreak coincides with the rush of children into the country from developed countries. Just ironic I guess.....

The rush is unimportant. If you maintain herd immunity, the virus can not spread and there will be no outbreak.

It wouldn't matter if we tried to keep them out. It's a highly contagious disease and it will find a way in. The best way to stop it here is to maintain our herd immunity.

Dr. Ron Paul weighed in today. As much as I love him, it made me cringe. He suggested it was somehow reasonable to assume that if the government can tell you to be vaccinated, it won't be long before they are hauling people of to jail for not taking their vitamins or, not brushing their teeth.

Really not necessary? Of course not....Ben is on it. ;)

How have we dealt with the influx of immigrants from Central America in relationship to vaccinations?

Look at the vaccination statistics for those countries and get back to me. They're comparable to our own.

Dr. Ron Paul weighed in today. As much as I love him, it made me cringe. He suggested it was somehow reasonable to assume that if the government can tell you to be vaccinated, it won't be long before they are hauling people of to jail for not taking their vitamins or, not brushing their teeth.

Guess he's not smart enough to walk it back. How disappointing. I actually held out some hope.

Guess he's not smart enough to walk it back. How disappointing. I actually held out some hope.

The government forces me to get vaccinated. I've had more anthrax vaccines than I can to keep track of and the flu mist is not an option for me. It's mandatory. Small Pox vaccine was awesome as well.

The government forces me to get vaccinated. I've had more anthrax vaccines than I can to keep track of and the flu mist is not an option for me. It's mandatory. Small Pox vaccine was awesome as well.

Flu vaccine is mandatory at my job as well, what with working in a hospital. I never look forward to it. Seems like it always hits me hard. Low grade fever, headache etc.

I'm too young to have experienced it, but I've heard the smallpox vaccine sucks.

What about taking your vitamins and brushing your teeth?

Why is political hyperbole always is acceptable when its someone on the left whining about their imagined "war on women"? He was making a point that definitely holds water. Its essentially the direction we're headed, where the left wants the govt to be the centerpiece solution of every imaginable problem which leaves us where Thomas Jefferson said we would be...a govt big enough to give you everything is also powerful enough to take everything you have from you. That's a close approximation of his quote. The reference, in case you missed it, is relative to personal freedoms and this particular admin seems hell bent on making everything mandatory that they cannot ban. In other words, mandate everything and thats NOT the govt's role.

Why is political hyperbole always is acceptable when its someone on the left whining about their imagined "war on women"? He was making a point that definitely holds water. Its essentially the direction we're headed, where the left wants the govt to be the centerpiece solution of every imaginable problem which leaves us where Thomas Jefferson said we would be...a govt big enough to give you everything is also powerful enough to take everything you have from you. That's a close approximation of his quote. The reference, in case you missed it, is relative to personal freedoms and this particular admin seems hell bent on making everything mandatory that they cannot ban. In other words, mandate everything and thats NOT the govt's role.

I honestly haven't thought about it in terms of partisan "tit for tat". I was thinking about it in terms of what is reasonable and logical. Immunization has an effect on everyone's well being. Taking your vitamins is a little more personal. Again, I love Dr. Paul but, in this case, his logic fails, in my opinion.

That's insulting. So much for his candidacy.

Get real. His "point" is ridiculous.

Immunizations are for protecting the "herd" (all of us). It has nothing to do with coercing personal behavior that affects no one but yourself.

I will assume Rand is smart enough to know that, which makes him a pandering cynic.

Well, I missed it the first time, but that's his dad. He's not running anyway.

It was Ron, not Rand.

It was Ron, not Rand.

Oooops! Missed it by that much!

Rand's back in the running! ;D

Archived