2015 3* DE Christian Bell (Alabama greyshirt)

AU64

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/02/alabama_has_asked_hoover_defen.html#incart_river

So the kid who had an offer....will now pay his own way and maybe/perhaps/possibly impress the bama coaching staff enough in his tryout year to get a scholly offer in 2016?

Is this the same as "walking on" with a more impressive description?

Seems to be an endless supply of kids willing to turn down full scholly offers at other SEC schools to try out at bama. Well, next year he will probably be at NW Alabama or someplace like that.

This quote from the article tells us all we need to know about the situation: "Bell began the season rated as the No. 10 prospect in Alabama on AL.com's A-List, but was not among the Top 15 players in the state in recent updates to that list."

Processed before he even signed. For those that may not have given the "greyshirt" thing much thought, it's nothing but the school saying "We don't want you now but if nothing better turns up we'll consider you next January". I don't know why anybody that has an offer elsewhere would fall for that.

Processed. I hope he comes to his senses and realizes bama has no loyalty to him and will kick him to the curb the first chance they get. Hate it for the guy, but he needs to wise up and see what is happening.

This quote from the article tells us all we need to know about the situation: "Bell began the season rated as the No. 10 prospect in Alabama on AL.com's A-List, but was not among the Top 15 players in the state in recent updates to that list."

Processed before he even signed. For those that may not have given the "greyshirt" thing much thought, it's nothing but the school saying "We don't want you now but if nothing better turns up we'll consider you next January". I don't know why anybody that has an offer elsewhere would fall for that.

"I don't know why anybody that has an offer elsewhere would fall for that"

I totally agree Mikey; but his family and he are bammers, that's all we need to know!

What's really funny is one of their guys in this class is Anderson from Florence, al who's dad is the richest man on Florence. He's the CEO of tnt fireworks and donates millions to Tennessee. I was surprised he didn't sign with them actually. Pretty sure he doesn't need a scholarship

It has gotten to the point where I don't even feel bad for the kids anymore. This happens every year. Its like a child repeatedly touching the stove after being burned each time.

Does bammer do this more than most schools? I never keep up with stuff like this.

Does bammer do this more than most schools? I never keep up with stuff like this.

Seems to be an SEC thing...from my recollection, bama has done it quite a few times in the past several years.

Most of the kids ended up going elsewhere I think....but looks like this guy is going to roll the dice. If bama does not take him for next year, he will end up in FCS I expect...JMO

When a kid agrees to be a grey shirt ... I don't really see it any different than agreeing to being an invited walkon.

Basically true I guess....but sounds better when the kid tries to explain to his friends why he did not take a scholly offer from some other school....and there is the implied promise of a scholarship for the next season.

According to what I read somewhere, as a gray shirt, he is not allowed to work out with the team nor participate in drills which would seem to work against his opportunity for the scholly. A player with his credentials must have had some other good offers....and I guess since there is no NLI he is still free to look around and sign elsewhere.

Archived