LOI ≠ NLI

jared52

Guess I am going to be that guy.

A LOI is a Letter of Inquiry that the NCAA sends to schools (except the one they SHOULD send one to) to inform them that they are under investigation. A NLI is a National Letter of Intent that a recruit and a parent signs to officially agree to accept a scholarship.

I hope AU get's a lot of NLIs tomorrow from their top targets. I also hope AU doesn't receive any LOIs in the near or distant future.

A LOI is a Letter of Inquiry that the NCAA sends to schools (except the one they SHOULD send one to) to inform them that they are under investigation. A NLI is a National Letter of Intent that a recruit and a parent signs to officially agree to accept a scholarship.

I hope AU get's a lot of NLIs tomorrow from their top targets. I also hope AU doesn't receive any LOIs in the near or distant future.

Guilty and thanks!

I know "!=" and "<>", and various version of !blah.equals(otherblah), but I've never come across "=/=" before?

Does not equal.

I've also seen /=, or >= and <= for greater and lesser than.

I know "!=" and "<>", and various version of !blah.equals(otherblah), but I've never come across "=/=" before?

I didn't think folks would be familiar with !=. Sorry.

EDIT: Added the proper symbol for the title.

Looks like almost everyone is getting this wrong today.

Thanks a ton for pointing it out and making my OCD go haywire today!

^-^

Looks like almost everyone is getting this wrong today.

Thanks a ton for pointing it out and making my OCD go haywire today!

^-^

My pleasure. I knew once this dropped to the second page, it wouldn't get noticed.

bump for those who don't know the difference and keep putting LOI in threads...

You have no idea the restraint I have had not quoting every post that uses LOI incorrectly and pointing them to this thread. :D But there's enough drama going on right now...

Thanks Raptor. It's about time! :fish:

It's really a lost cause. When national sports people are tweeting using LOI, there's no way the common forum poster should know or care about the difference.

Go on calling it what you want, we know what you are talking about anyway.

FWIW - Even ITAT's commit board lists " Signed LOI " , so you really are yapping into the void.

:gofig:

Thanks Raptor. It's about time! :fish:

It's really a lost cause. When national sports people are tweeting using LOI, there's no way the common forum poster should know or care about the difference.

Go on calling it what you want, we know what you are talking about anyway.

It's literally the worst thing that's ever happened.

(Hoping this crowd catches the dark humor there.)

FWIW - Even ITAT's commit board lists " Signed LOI " , so you really are yapping into the void.

:gofig:

Yep, I resign to allow people to call it what they want. I'll have to just work on this tic every time I see LOI though...

• 11 months later...

I'm glad you're that guy. Saves me from annoying everyone by me doing it.

Like many abbreviations it can have multiple meanings

LOI - Letter of Inquiry

LOI - Letter of Intent - Which is a legal term

NLI - National Letter of Intent - This is what it is officially called when sent in to a University

So using LOI is not completely wrong

bump for those who don't know the difference and keep putting LOI in threads...

You have no idea the restraint I have had not quoting every post that uses LOI incorrectly and pointing them to this thread. :D But there's enough drama going on right now...

What's sad is you won't believe how many recruiting reporters do it. It bugs the hell out of me when they do it.

Wow....I really dodged a bullet it seams....a post elsewhere I actually typed LOI....and thankfully realized what I had done....and just wrote "signing day".

Meanwhile, i appreciate everyone being on top of this....it's like spelling...who's going to take you seriously if you have spelling or grammer errors?

:dunno:

LOI - Letter of Inquiry

NLI - National Letter of Intent - This is what it is officially called when sent in to a University

It is if you go to the official NLI website. They make a deal about it.

Also just found out there is an LOI & for college sports & it's technically different than the NLI.

What is the difference between an NLI and LOI?

LOI means Letter of Intent. This is the document signed by non-scholarship athletes (walk-ons) and team managers to show their commitment to the university. NLI is a National letter of Intent and is signed by athletes who will be receiving an athletic scholarship from the university. Both the LOI and NLI mean other colleges can no longer recruit you.

Link

LOI - Letter of Inquiry

It is if you go to the official NLI website. They make a deal about it.

Also just found out there is an LOI & for college sports & it's technically different than the NLI.

What is the difference between an NLI and LOI?

LOI means Letter of Intent. This is the document signed by non-scholarship athletes (walk-ons) and team managers to show their commitment to the university. NLI is a National letter of Intent and is signed by athletes who will be receiving an athletic scholarship from the university. Both the LOI and NLI mean other colleges can no longer recruit you.

Link

That proves I was wrong. Thank you

LOL

That means ... never mind.

Anyway, McLoofus posted a reference to this thread from last year a couple of days ago. Guess everyone missed it in the pile-on.

I got it, Loof. Sorry I didn't acknowledge it then.

:cheers:

LOL

That means ... never mind.

Anyway, McLoofus posted a reference to this thread from last year a couple of days ago. Guess everyone missed it in the pile-on.

I got it, Loof. Sorry I didn't acknowledge it then.

:cheers:

Haha, no worries. There were no disappointments or surprises in that exchange.

Archived