Is This Racist?

Proud Tiger

I don't think it's rooted in racism. I think it's rooted in a wrongheaded idea about how to diversify a workforce.

So I'll say 'no' for now. Not enough information to go on to start flinging that term around.

It's stupid. You hire someone based on their qualifications.. Hiring people just to meet an ethnic quota, regardless if they are qualified for the job or not, is racism in itself.

from the comments below...

jamma91 44 minutes ago

So, to Fred, this isn't about minorities, it's about blacks. You can have women, Asians, and Hispanics, but if you don't have blacks, he's going to vote against you.

It's stupid. You hire someone based on their qualifications.. Hiring people just to meet an ethnic quota, regardless if they are qualified for the job or not, is racism in itself.

That's not really a definition of racism that anyone really uses. Not casually nor academically.

I actually know this company and its employees. They are a small consulting firm with a training division. They don't actually provide labor services so the need for more employees is greatly diminished. It's not easy finding black workers with experience in the areas they consult on, but that trend is slowly changing. I've had the pleasure of working with a group from all over the state tasked with looking at recruiting more black Americans into environmental study. It won't happen in a years time.

If they elected him, then it's cool with me.

Yay democracy.

So, his rules, no matter what ?

Hire x, and just x , or else no contract ?

Not sure that's how democracy is suppose to work.

Sure was a lot of information left out of that article.

What more do you really need to know ?

If they elected him, then it's cool with me.

Yay democracy.

So, his rules, no matter what ?

Hire x, and just x , or else no contract ?

Not sure that's how democracy is suppose to work.

Democracy doesn't ensure things will be correct or fair. Only that the voting majority will get a guy they think they will like. If it's within his power to make those decisions and he got the position legally. Then either get a majority to make him resign, or put up with your decision.

Well, for example, it would be nice to know the statistics - how many employees worked at that firm? It would be nice to know the history of the firm's hiring practices. It would also be nice to know if there is a formal policy in consideration.

That's not really a definition of racism that anyone really uses. Not casually nor academically.

True, it is more insulting than racism is what I should have said.

Well, for example, it would be nice to know the statistics - how many employees worked at that firm? It would be nice to know the history of the firms hiring practices. It would also be nice to know if there is a formal policy in consideration.

How would any of that change what he said ?

Well, for example, it would be nice to know the statistics - how many employees worked at that firm? It would be nice to know the history of the firms hiring practices. It would also be nice to know if there is a formal policy in consideration.

How would any of that change what he said ?

It might add some justification.

"Where is fantasy bread? In the heart or in the head"......Wiliy Wonka

Racism is in the HEART. Gotta change hearts and minds. Sadly, since the days of MLK, there just isn't much of that taking place....JMHO

Racism is in the HEART. Gotta change hearts and minds. Sadly, since the days of MLK, there just isn't much of that taking place....JMHO

I actually have been recently discussing this with some peers.

Civilization, society, cultures.... they tend to either be stagnant or moving forward, usually.

America at this time seems to be in reverse. During the 2000's racism/homophobic acts were certainly around, but were trending downward. But in the past few years they seem to be trending upwards again. Due in part to it's resurgence in the media. The "is it racist?" tagline always drawing a crowd of the latest generation who never got to see the truly dark side of racism in America since they were only born in the 90's.

I would also add to your "hearts and mind" bit by saying racism is a disability that only affects the ignorant. I have yet to see someone of any racial background spend significant quality time with people of a different ethnicity and keep their prejudiced mindset. Not saying it's not possible, just that experience usually cures stupidity.

Good post Mims44. Post more often......

I actually have been recently discussing this with some peers.

Civilization, society, cultures.... they tend to either be stagnant or moving forward, usually.

America at this time seems to be in reverse. During the 2000's racism/homophobic acts were certainly around, but were trending downward. But in the past few years they seem to be trending upwards again. Due in part to it's resurgence in the media. The "is it racist?" tagline always drawing a crowd of the latest generation who never got to see the truly dark side of racism in America since they were only born in the 90's.

I would also add to your "hearts and mind" bit by saying racism is a disability that only affects the ignorant. I have yet to see someone of any racial background spend significant quality time with people of a different ethnicity and keep their prejudiced mindset. Not saying it's not possible, just that experience usually cures stupidity.

Hah! If only. :-\

Ask PT how old he is.

Good post Mims44. Lots of truth there. I can sure relate to it. I grew up in Birmingham and saw the early 60s problems up close and personal.

Archived