How Far Do We Let ISIS Go

Proud Tiger

No BS question........with the increasing brutality of ISIS, how far do we and the world let them go before we say enough and go on the offensive in a big way?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the USA can do anything alone. It will take every Arab country possible and all Western European countries, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and Turkey. The problem is that some Moslem states cannot control their own countries. Then there are the Moslem countries that fund terrorist groups (Iran).

Barry sez everything we can do is being done.

<_<

I thought we are on the offensive. How about you tell your congress to get off its a@@ and pas an AUMF?

We have the best military in the world. We could definitely do it alone. However, to keep from offending the entire world, we will most likely stall in the hopes of forming a coalition. Honestly, what I think is gonna happen is we're gonna piecemeal into this conflict like we did Vietnam rather than going in with a heavy fist like we did in Desert Storm or in the initial stages of Afghanistan. Then politics will prevent us from truly crushing ISIS due to the fear of upsetting the Muslim community and losing our alliances in the Middle East. The war will prolong and we'll end up leaving with no sense of victory because we could never really deal a crushing blow.

You are not going to see a large boots on ground presence in Iraq / Syria under this POTUS. I agree with him.

"America’s past 13 years of the global war on terror should serve as an example of why the terrorists keep trying to pick a fight. The spread of jihadist groups across Africa and their influence in post-Arab Spring governments highlight a sad reality. The more forcefully the West fights against Islamist extremism the more credibility is given to paranoid jihadist claims of a Western war against Islam, consequently brainwashing more gullible, disaffected young men into wanting to die.

Explaining the lust for death of Arab fighters in the Afghanistan-USSR war (who were the godfathers of al-Qaida and ISIS), Wright wrote:

“Rahimullah Yusufazi, the Peshawar bureau chief for the News, a Paksitani daily, observed a camp of Arab Afghans that was under attack in Jalalabad. The Arabs had pitched white tents on the front lines, where they were easy marks for Soviet bombers. 'Why?' the reporter asked incredulously. 'We want them to bomb us!' the men told him. 'We want to die!' They believed that they were answering God’s call. If they were truly blessed, God would reward them with a martyr’s death. 'I wish I could raid and be slain, and then raid and be slain, and then raid and be slain,' bin Laden later declared, quoting the Prophet."

Compare that passage with a few lines from ISIS’s recent propaganda video, “Flames of War”:

"The battle continues, and the brothers brazenly push forward. In the heat of such fierce battles, one recalls his sins, and his need for forgiveness. So he keenly pursues the most noblest of deaths in the most trying of circumstances."

"The warriors of the Islamic State continued to sell the life of this world for the hereafter."

"Our main concern is to place our trust in Allah, the Glorified and Exalted. And He is the Generous and the Giver, who loves seeing us in this place fighting His enemies. And we seek to come close to Him by sacrificing our blood and our lives and they are the most precious things we have in this life. We sacrifice them cheaply and with pleasure in the cause of Allah, the Glorified and Exalted. May Allah make these faces prohibited for the Hellfire and may Allah reward you."

Yes, ISIS is pure evil, and every last one of them deserves to die.

The trick is to give them the death they deserve, not the one they want." http://www.blueforcetracker.com/article/ISIS-is-baiting-us-into-a-war

We will not do the things that MUST be done until there is another attack on US soil. Sadly....

We will not do the things that MUST be done until there is another attack on US soil. Sadly....

Exactly what are the things that must be done? Killing all Muslims like you have said previously?

Is anyone even aware we killed the head of al Shabaab yesterday?

U.S. strikes against senior Shabaab leader in Somalia

WASHINGTON |

Tue Feb 3, 2015 4:56pm EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States carried out a drone strike in Somalia against a senior leader of militant group al Shabaab, the Pentagon said on Tuesday, adding his death would represent a major blow to a group already losing ground in the country.

The Jan. 31 Hellfire missile strike south of the capital Mogadishu targeted Yusef Dheeq, the group's chief of external operations and planning for intelligence and security, Pentagon spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby said.

"I'm not in a position now to confirm the results of the strike, but if successful – if he no longer breathes - then this is ... another significant blow to al Shabaab," Kirby said.

The United States did not believe there were any civilian casualties, he added.

The strike was the latest in an ongoing campaign against al Shabaab, whose leadership is affiliated with al Qaeda. In September, a U.S. drone strike killed the group's main leader, Ahmed Abdi Godane. Another drone strike on Dec. 29 killed another senior al Shabaab militant.

Al Shabaab, which controlled Mogadishu and southern Somalia until it was driven out of the capital in 2011, has steadily lost territory to a military offensive by Somali and African Union forces.

The group still launches guerrilla attacks and bombings and was behind a 2013 raid on a Nairobi shopping mall that killed 67 people. http://mobile.reuter...150203?irpc=932

Barry would just ignore it

Why would he ignore it? He's been begging for one since October.

Obama's operating under the existing AUMF from 2001, which he claims is still valid with no end date. He declines to propose the terms of a new one to congress. It is customary for the office of the president to propose one. Instead he wants congress to propose and pass a new one. The democrats in the senate want to give him a AUMF with a 3 year expiration.

I don't know but I hate ISIS. They are not Muslim no matter how much they believe they are. True Islam teaches peace & acceptance of others regardless of religion,race...etc.

I don't know but I hate ISIS. They are not Muslim no matter how much they believe they are. True Islam teaches peace & acceptance of others regardless of religion,race...etc.

Please post often. I couldnt agree more.

I think everyone agrees SOMETHING must be done. It's the WHAT should be done part that is problematic. If we've learned anything from the war in Iraq it's that once you defeat a terrorist cell two more spring up just like it or worse. Do we risk the lives of our service persons to stop ISIS? I'm glad our current President isn't quick to go to war. Iraq and Afghanastain cost enough American lives.

Like hell he has.

Like hell he has.

You're right.......it was November.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-to-seek-new-authorization-for-fight-against-islamic-state/2014/11/05/67bb0998-652c-11e4-bb14-4cfea1e742d5_story.html

I think everyone agrees SOMETHING must be done. It's the WHAT should be done part that is problematic. If we've learned anything from the war in Iraq it's that once you defeat a terrorist cell two more spring up just like it or worse. Do we risk the lives of our service persons to stop ISIS? I'm glad our current President isn't quick to go to war. Iraq and Afghanastain cost enough American lives.

IMO something is being done. Our airstrikes and SOF advisors are making a difference. Only thing I would add is more equipment for the Peshmerga.

Like hell he has.

http://www.washingto...42d5_story.html

You paint a very distorted picture of what's actually been going on.

Obama never saw ISIS as a real threat. Called them the JV team. Only after US beheadings was Obama reluctantly dragged into this fray.

What you claim and what really has happened aren't at all similar.

Obama pledged nearly 18 months ago to work with lawmakers to “refine and ultimately repeal” what he said were the outdated 2001 Authorization for the Use of Military Force, or AUMF, against al-Qaeda and the 2002 authority against Saddam Hussein in Iraq.

Since then, White House engagement with Congress on the issue has been minimal.

If anyone is dragging their feet, it's Obama.

Like hell he has.

http://www.washingto...42d5_story.html

You paint a very distorted picture of what's actually been going on.

Obama never saw ISIS as a real threat. Called them the JV team. Only after US beheadings was Obama reluctantly dragged into this fray.

What you claim and what really has happened aren't at all similar.

Obama pledged nearly 18 months ago to work with lawmakers to “refine and ultimately repeal” what he said were the outdated 2001 Authorization for the Use of Military Force, or AUMF, against al-Qaeda and the 2002 authority against Saddam Hussein in Iraq.

Since then, White House engagement with Congress on the issue has been minimal.

If anyone is dragging their feet, it's Obama.

And what exactly is he dragging his feet on?

Islamic State Commander Said Killed In Iraq In Coalition Air Strike

http://www.rferl.org/content/iraq-islamic-state-commander-killed-air-strike/26830175.html

That moment when, yes Saddam did bad things, you realize that Saddam knew what he had on hand, so he ruled with an iron fist...when he was toppled...ISIS..etc came into power. oops?

IMO something is being done. Our airstrikes and SOF advisors are making a difference. Only thing I would add is more equipment for the Peshmerga.

Duly noted.

The administration agreed today to increase military assistance to Jordan.

The way to deal with ISIS is to facilitate and assist the local countries to deal with them. And I realize that makes it sound a lot simpler that it is with the competing tribal politics. If there is anything good about the immolation of the Jordanian pilot, it has unified many of the Muslims in the area in opposition to them. At least temporarily.

But the idea we should jump in directly is highly problematic. It might do more long term harm than good.

Archived