The Big Lie: 5.6% Unemployment

DKW 86

I think very WH lies about this stuff, but the methodology is at fault here. It's created to support a sitting party or administration.

Only if they alter the methodology and consequently, change the baseline. That however, is not the fault of the methodology.

True.....lol

I may be wrong in this assessment but, I think the numbers of those not counted as unemployed or underemployed have greatly increased. Not a good thing. If true, the impact on the numbers presented by the administration is apparent.

Jobs Report Crushes Expectations

(Bloomberg) -- Employers in the U.S. added more jobs than forecast in January, capping the biggest three-month gain in 17 years, and workers’ earnings jumped.

The 257,000 advance in payrolls last month followed a 329,000 gain in December that was bigger than previously reported, figures from the Labor Department showed Friday in Washington. The median forecast in a Bloomberg survey of economists called for a 228,000 increase. The unemployment rate climbed to 5.7 percent as the improving job market lured more Americans into the labor force.

A stronger economy has encouraged companies to boost hiring, creating a virtuous cycle of growth as Americans spend newfound incomes on goods and services. Sustained job growth will probably help assure Federal Reserve policy makers that the expansion is well-rooted and can withstand an increase in interest rates later this year.

These are pretty amazing numbers,” said Nariman Behravesh, chief economist at IHS Inc. in Lexington, Massachusetts, and the top forecaster of payrolls over the last two years, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. “The January number is strong, but then you’ve got sizzling November and December numbers too. And then you’ve got the wage gains.”

Average hourly earnings jumped 0.5 percent, the most since November 2008, from the prior month. They were up 2.2 percent over the past year, the biggest increase since August.

The participation rate, which indicates the share of working-age people in the labor force, increased to 62.9 percent from 62.7 percent in December.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-06/payrolls-in-u-s-increase-more-than-forecast-along-with-wages

All lies. BIG lies. :-\/>

Or, maybe it's the truth, only because the GOP captured the House!

There Work has only begun.......

All lies. BIG lies. :-\/>

Or, maybe it's the truth, only because the GOP captured the House!

There Work has only begun.......

That's exactly what I am afraid of. The GOP has never met an economy too good to wreck. ;D

That's exactly what I am afraid of. The GOP has never met an economy too good to wreck. ;D

all the reasons for the last train wrecking of the economy lay at the feet of the Democrats.

all the reasons for the last train wrecking of the economy lay at the feet of the Democrats.

Yeah, right. Barney Frank. Mortgage loans to deadbeats. Yadda yadda... :-\

Yeah, right. Barney Frank. Mortgage loans to deadbeats. Yadda yadda... :-\

Packaging and selling of bad loans... Fannie Mae / Freddie Mac... yeah, yadda yadda.

All I can say to all the "recovery" cheerleaders is this...helluva recovery! The lowest percentage of adults with full time employment in our country's history. The laughable irony is...there are mindless nimrods in here actually selling how good the economy is!

All I can say to all the "recovery" cheerleaders is this...helluva recovery! The lowest percentage of adults with full time employment in our country's history. The laughable irony is...there are mindless nimrods in here actually selling how good the economy is!

True but, when you compare the U.S. to other developed nations, it looks pretty good. Anyone who attempts to paint the picture as all good or, all bad, is more focused on politics than economics.

I think it would be a little more accurate to say the "nimrods" - meaning pretty much anyone capable of reading the news - are celebrating the improvement, not "selling how good the economy is". :-\

I think it would be a little more accurate to say the "nimrods" - meaning pretty much anyone capable of reading the news - are celebrating the improvement, not "selling how good the economy is". :-\/>

The point is that many (non nimrods) are not buying what is being SOLD...JMHO

The TRUTH is that we are indeed doing better. But some of us are not buying into the whole "Mission Accomplished" meme. We have a LLLOOONNNGGG way to go till we get to full employment. There are still millions of unemployed and under-employed that are still struggling big time to keep their families going. Dancing while they are still struggling so hard is just crazy, and maybe even slightly mean spirited.

I think it would be a little more accurate to say the "nimrods" - meaning pretty much anyone capable of reading the news - are celebrating the improvement, not "selling how good the economy is". :-\/>

Another non sequitur, at least if you are responding to me, whom you quoted.

Please give the constant "non sequitur" comment a rest. Either respond or don't. Thanks in advance.

Please give the constant "non sequitur" comment a rest. Either respond or don't. Thanks in advance.

It doesn't have anything to do with what I posted.

If you want to join in with Blue and misrepresent the attitude of most thoughtful people as celebrating "victory" then why respond to my post? Respond to his.

Most people are just happy and pleased things are getting better. This hyper politically-motivated straw man is just that. Of course, there may be an example of such a person hyping economic victory but if so, be specific and use him/her as an example.

To make a generalized statement about everyone as such an over-reactor is absurd. But it is classic Blue. :-\

The TRUTH is that we are indeed doing better. But some of us are not buying into the whole "Mission Accomplished" meme. We have a LLLOOONNNGGG way to go till we get to full employment. There are still millions of unemployed and under-employed that are still struggling big time to keep their families going. Dancing while they are still struggling so hard is just crazy, and maybe even slightly mean spirited.

Another straw man. Who the hell is promoting that "meme"? It doesn't exist.

I'd say it's more like a front page story with a 10th page follow up. The front page exclaims "Unemployment Numbers Reflect Big Turnaround". The 10th page has a little column that softly states "Drop outs and undereployment/Part time work increase a big concern for many".

I'd say it's more like a front page story with a 10th page follow up. The front page exclaims "Unemployment Numbers Reflect Big Turnaround". The 10th page has a little column that softly states "Drop outs and undereployment/Part time work increase a big concern for many".

That's pretty weak.

I've read and heard a lot of discussion parsing the data, including what it doesn't say. But maybe that's because my primary news sources are PBS and NPR. ;)

Thanks.

There Are Now More Than Five Million Job Openings in America

Unfilled positions at U.S. companies climbed in December to an almost 14-year high and hiring accelerated, underscoring a thriving labor market that points to a pickup in wage growth.

Job openings rose 181,000 in December to 5.03 million, the most since January 2001, from a revised 4.85 million the month before, the Labor Department reported Tuesday in Washington. The number of Americans hired advanced to a seven-year high.

An increase in the number of people who voluntarily quit their jobs signals greater optimism about finding work elsewhere as stronger demand prompts a pickup in job listings. The figures, among those used by Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen and her colleagues, keep the central bank on track to raise interest rates later this year.

One aspect “that really sticks out here is the very large number of people who found new jobs in the month,” he said. “Having the confidence to leave a job and look for another one is an important contributor to that.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-10/job-openings-in-u-s-rose-by-181-000-in-december-to-5-03-million

I hope it's not like here at AU! In my department we had 5 open positions on the books....but we had zero $ to fill them.

Are these full time positions or just openings in general?

I would assume just openings in general but to be honest, I'm not sure.

I'm glad there's something out there. Better than nothing. I know a lot of AU grads needing work because they can't find anything other than part time.

Archived