Jovon & Roc

WFE12

Jovon reminds me of Brandon Jacobs. Good size and good speed. North and south runner. Excited to see since we never really got to see Jacobs during a season.

Jovon reminds me of Brandon Jacobs. Good size and good speed. North and south runner. Excited to see since we never really got to see Jacobs during a season.

Physically he's nothing like Brandon Jacobs.

Additionally, Jacobs was 3rd string (rightfully so) behind two much better college running backs. I want Jovon to be the Jovon of 2013 on the field (he struggled in 2014).

wde

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Additionally, Jacobs was 3rd string (rightfully so) behind two much better college running backs. I want Jovon to be the Jovon of 2013 on the field (he struggled in 2014).

wde

He didn't struggle on the field at all. He battled injuries that limited his playing time.

wde

He didn't struggle on the field at all. He battled injuries that limited his playing time.

True about the injuries. But compared to 2013 he struggled in terms of on the field production (I agree it was probably because of injuries). He also (based on posts from reputable posters on this and other boards) struggled at AU during bowl practices (most posted it was due to conditioning which I am sure was because of his injuries). Bottom line, Jovon is no sure thing. I am very happy Jovon is at AU and I believe he is the odds on favorite to win the starting RB job come game one.

But his last year at JC on the field (for whatever reason) and his bowl practice results (for whatever reason) do not make him a can't miss superstar type of player. Of course, those comparing him to Brandon Jacobs should not be expecting that anyway. Heck, if Jovon can give us the production CAP gave us, we should be happy.

wde

I really hope Jovon pans out because Roc and Kerryon simply aren't big enough to be every down backs yet. Peyton could very well be the guy but I'm not 100% confident in anyone at this time. Hopefully spring training will give some good insight into to our running back situation and I can't wait for A-day. I absolutely have to go this year to see what we have going into the 2015 season.

I don't get the thinking that Roc and /or KJ aren't big enough. Both are bigger than Ameer Abdullah and he hasn't had any trouble pounding it 25 times a game. They are both roughly the size of Mike Dyer and he did ok in Gus's offense. I believe they are plenty big. If they can win the job, they'll play.

I don't get the thinking that Roc and /or KJ aren't big enough. Both are bigger than Ameer Abdullah and he hasn't had any trouble pounding it 25 times a game. They are both roughly the size of Mike Dyer and he did ok in Gus's offense. I believe they are plenty big. If they can win the job, they'll play.

I could see a difference between Roc and other SEC running backs. Cap and Tre were about the norm and Roc falls below that.

Guys, think 2006 Arkansas. Felix Jones and Darren McFadden both went for over 1,000 yards if I remember correctly. I think both Jovon and Roc could both go for 1K.

At the same time that's Jones and McFadden....our guys shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence yet

I could see a difference between Roc and other SEC running backs. Cap and Tre were about the norm and Roc falls below that.

Others may be bigger than Roc. Does that really matter? If he wins the job that will be a clear indication that he's plenty big enough.

roc was only like 10 pounds lighter (and 2 inches taller) than dyer when entering AU.

Plus Dyer ran it what, like 51 against scar that year

I didn't read this whole thread, so forgive me if this has been stated already, but......WHY ARE WE WORRIED ABOUT OUR RUNNING GAME NEXT YEAR??????

Are there really fans out there worried that Jovon (the top JUCO RB, 5-star stud) won't pan out? Or that Gus Malzahn, the best offensive mind in college football, will fail to utilize Roc Thomas?? I mean, Gus makes some decisions that have me shaking my head sometimes, but his track record in putting up insane numbers running the ball cannot be argued with. Throw in JJ, and our ability to throw the ball much better next season, and I don't see how any team can scheme to stop us on both aspects.

Grant was an Omac-type runner. Insane straight away speed, but when you're moving that fast, cutting and juking aren't really options. Grant had power (just ask that LSU DB), but was never going to be a 30-carry guy. I realize we have a long time until the season starts, but let's not spend it discussing which of our guys won't pan out, and instead focus on the fact that we have a tremendous amount of talent on offense, and our defense should be light years better next season. Add that to a schedule that is more in our favor, and we have the chance to do great things next season.

This goes for the QB battle, too. It is JJ's job to lose, and I don't believe he will let it come to that. Nothing against Jason Smith, Sean White or Tyler Queen, but JJ is a pure athlete, and has spent two years in Gus's system. Smith, White and Queen will get their chances, and Gus will give them all a fair shake, and this is a great problem to have. Barring off-field issues, we are LOADED with talent for next season. If the offensive line can gel and develop chemistry, the rest of the SEC better start training with the track team, because having 60 guys that can run for 60 minutes straight is the only way teams contain us next season.

War Eagle!!!!

I didn't read this whole thread, so forgive me if this has been stated already, but......WHY ARE WE WORRIED ABOUT OUR RUNNING GAME NEXT YEAR??????

Are there really fans out there worried that Jovon (the top JUCO RB, 5-star stud) won't pan out? Or that Gus Malzahn, the best offensive mind in college football, will fail to utilize Roc Thomas?? I mean, Gus makes some decisions that have me shaking my head sometimes, but his track record in putting up insane numbers running the ball cannot be argued with. Throw in JJ, and our ability to throw the ball much better next season, and I don't see how any team can scheme to stop us on both aspects.

Grant was an Omac-type runner. Insane straight away speed, but when you're moving that fast, cutting and juking aren't really options. Grant had power (just ask that LSU DB), but was never going to be a 30-carry guy. I realize we have a long time until the season starts, but let's not spend it discussing which of our guys won't pan out, and instead focus on the fact that we have a tremendous amount of talent on offense, and our defense should be light years better next season. Add that to a schedule that is more in our favor, and we have the chance to do great things next season.

This goes for the QB battle, too. It is JJ's job to lose, and I don't believe he will let it come to that. Nothing against Jason Smith, Sean White or Tyler Queen, but JJ is a pure athlete, and has spent two years in Gus's system. Smith, White and Queen will get their chances, and Gus will give them all a fair shake, and this is a great problem to have. Barring off-field issues, we are LOADED with talent for next season. If the offensive line can gel and develop chemistry, the rest of the SEC better start training with the track team, because having 60 guys that can run for 60 minutes straight is the only way teams contain us next season.

War Eagle!!!!

I like your optimism, but frankly I feel like going into last season, with possibly the most returning talent since we had on the 2003 to 2004 squad, was cause for more optimism than heading into this coming season. And we saw how 2014 turned out.

We have lost:

Our QB.

SEC's leading rusher.

A possible 1st round draft pick at WR

Starting center

On defense though, I think the guys who have used up their eligibility leaving will not hurt the defense -- esp a majority of the DTs and secondary. *FINGERS CROSSED*

War Eagle!!!!

I like your optimism, but frankly I feel like going into last season, with possibly the most returning talent since we had on the 2003 to 2004 squad, was cause for more optimism than heading into this coming season. And we saw how 2014 turned out.

We have lost:

Our QB.

SEC's leading rusher.

A possible 1st round draft pick at WR

Starting center

On defense though, I think the guys who have used up their eligibility leaving will not hurt the defense -- esp a majority of the DTs and secondary. *FINGERS CROSSED*

we are losing positions but we still have/are gaining :

One of the most hyped up QB's that I've seen at AU (expectations seem to be higher for JJ rn than they were at this time before the 2010 season for Cam)

Our RB's go from being cap and grant to our two biggest RB recruits since Dyer

We return, possibly, the most talented receiver in the nation in Duke

We gained a fullback who people seem to be talking about a bunch (so maybe another Prosche incoming)

A bunch of developing receivers

Jovon is my early pick, with Roc right behind him. Injuries are a reality at this level, and I expect Peyton Barber should be in a better position to get more work this year. I don't think it's a ? of ability with Peyton.

Jovon is my early pick, with Roc right behind him. Injuries are a reality at this level, and I expect Peyton Barber should be in a better position to get more work this year. I don't think it's a ? of ability with Peyton.

Motivation?

roc was only like 10 pounds lighter (and 2 inches taller) than dyer when entering AU.

For every inch taller a man should be 5lbs heavier so that would come in at Roc being 20lbs smaller than Dyer given your numbers.

I'm not saying Roc can't be "the guy" and by all accounts and video I've seen there is no doubt he is the best RB we have skill wise. I have tons of hope for Roc this coming season as well as Peyton because I'm not prepared to hang my hat on one RB in Jovon Robinson. Anything could happen with Jovon. He stayed injured for most of last season. Who's to say that won't happen again? We need Roc to be the guy if Peyton still isn't ready with his blocking assignments.

For every inch taller a man should be 5lbs heavier so that would come in at Roc being 20lbs smaller than Dyer given your numbers.

I'm not saying Roc can't be "the guy" and by all accounts and video I've seen there is no doubt he is the best RB we have skill wise. I have tons of hope for Roc this coming season as well as Peyton because I'm not prepared to hang my hat on one RB in Jovon Robinson. Anything could happen with Jovon. He stayed injured for most of last season. Who's to say that won't happen again? We need Roc to be the guy if Peyton still isn't ready with his blocking assignments.

Well with those 2 extra inches comes a bigger frame. Roc could definitely keep bulking up and become a bruiser

From the runs I saw last season, he's very shifty. So I think staying lighter is probably his best bet. He seems very explosive on his first step too. I feel like he could carry the load for us. Maybe not like mason/Tate/dyer but I think roc could handle some games with a large number of carries

Archived