Weight Lifting-Workouts

TAYLORKEETON

I have been hitting cardio pretty hard for about a month and will do so till the end of May. Thought about the 1000 lbs club right now strength hasn't been as big as cutting up. Got to get that beach body ready hahaha

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been hitting cardio pretty hard for about a month and will do so till the end of May. Thought about the 1000 lbs club right now strength hasn't been as big as cutting up. Got to get that beach body ready hahaha

Get you the bodyspace app if you have a smart phone. (Android or iPhone) Tons of great workout programs for all types of traditional weightlifting exercises whether you're bulking or cutting. Plus you can track your workouts without needing a pen and a notebook. Lastly, I can keep up with your workouts.

If you're a crossfitter, try the myWOD app.

Awesome thanks for the info. When I get off work today I will check it out. I'm not much into crossfit I give t to those people though it is intense just not my cup of tea.

I was one that scoffed at crossfit until I saw what some of those hardcore cfers could do. They are pretty impressive in the Olympic lifts. I don't do CF, but I'm starting to respect it.

Also, I have found that since I have incorporated deadlifts back into my workouts, I have gotten much stronger. If your traps are lacking, try hanging high pulls with a barbell. Same technique as hang cleans, but the bar only comes as high as your sternum with no wrist roll. Just explode the bar up and repeat. Your traps, upper and mid back will explode.

• 3 weeks later...

Been working on a new HIT routine of ladder training (Icky Shuffle) and a few variations, explosion box jumps, burpees, ending with jumping jacks. Killer. (consult your doctor first)

Been working on a new HIT routine of ladder training (Icky Shuffle) and a few variations, explosion box jumps, burpees, ending with jumping jacks. Killer. (consult your doctor first)

Nice! The fat shouid melt off with that workout.

I would suggest running sprints with short intervals of rest. I was amazed by the difference. And, doesn't take up as much of my time.

New routine today:

Shuffle squat -10 sec rest

High knees - 10 sec rest

Box jump - 10 sec reat

Battle ropes - 10 sec rest

60,50,40,30,20,10. Nuts!

Recently, several of my friends and have tried a different eating strategy that has helped tremendously in our gains and physical appearance. It's called intermittent fasting. There's lots of information about it and has definitely worked for us.

Recently, several of my friends and have tried a different eating strategy that has helped tremendously in our gains and physical appearance. It's called intermittent fasting. There's lots of information about it and has definitely worked for us.

No thanks. I don't hate my life that much. lol

Do what 78 does and watch the fat melt off that way.

Starting a PPL workout. Need some constructive advice by the fellow members that love to work out. I'm not a crossfitter though, nor do I believe in doing 500 burpees everyday lol, so any advice leading me that way will probably be disregarded lol.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/workouts/workout-programs-overview/5752de550cf2f6c13aa0b8fc?context=APPLIED_LIST&slug=mjengland&userprogramid=46748451&applied=true

Does anybody have experience with WBV (Whole Body Vibration) machines? It appears there are a few gyms, professional sports teams and Olympic teams using this technology, but I don't know to what extent. The premiss is to have your muscles contract 30-40 times a second while you work out, allowing you to get more from your exercise in a shorter time period.

I retired a year ago, so my focus is not gaining muscle, just not loosing it. I've lost 45 pounds over that year, so I don't need to lose weight, but the machine intrigued me as a way of retaining muscle without spending as much time working out. Any comments, pros or con would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I have not looked in on this thread in some time; therefore the late response. My background...Age 73, retired 5 yrs ago and post retirement got CPT certification (NASM) with additional certs in Senior Fitness and Corrective Exercise. I do not work as a trainer. Did the certifications for "self enrichment".

Regarding the WBV machines you might Google and see what Mayo Clinic has to say....the jury is still out. My feeling is that bodyweight and free weight exercises give you the best results to slow the loss of muscle mass and strength. You may consider having a qualified person perform some type of movement assessment on you so that you can correct any joint movement issues that may limit correct performance of some of your exercises.

Thanks Canyon for your reply. Congrats on the CPT Certification, sound like something I might try later for "self enrichment". I have been doing a lot of research about WBV machines lately and found some good information. Some WBV machines are occolating (or tetter totter) type machines that move about 14mm of ambitude which you just stand on. Doesn't float my boat. Others are vertical with a 2mm amplitude that you perform traditional exercises on. These are what I have been drawn to.

Actually, Auburn uses the Power Plate as seen in the following video:

At the 3:40 mark, coach Russell mentions that the Power Plate was on the sidelines during the Kick Six Iron Bowl and at the 5:09 mark the machines are visible in the weight room tour. I have no idea how these machines are used, but Auburn uses them.

Another machine that is widely used for college sports programs is the VibePlate. It has a weight limit of 2400lbs, so it is a platform that the athlete performs traditional free weight and body weight exercises. The Power Plate has a 550lbs weight limit.

The Mayo Clinic is saying that the jury is still out on WBV machines. They say it is a good way to loose weight and tone, but to be sure to diversify your work outs with free weights and aerobic training.

To lose the weight this last year I've been doing free weights, body weight, core, yoga and stretching with some aerobic exercises thrown in. I am thinking I could use a vibrating platform to shorten the time it takes to fatigue the muscles using these same exercises. Does this seem like a logical approach to you?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

• 4 weeks later...

My buddy got a new app that rocks!  It is called Motion Traxx. He's had it for roughly a month and has lost weight and body fat. Google it. Seriously considering it.

• 5 months later...

I'm super-late to the party but I've been hitting a Gym Jones-style workout for a bit now and love it.  For those that don't recognize the gym, they are the folks responsible for the actors in 300 as well as the new Superman.  It is CrossFit-style in as much as most of the workouts are based around the oly lifts which also incorporate cardio into it but they are more paced than CrossFit.  The goal isn't to hit the gym as quick and hard as you can, throw up and go home.  I can post some recent ones if any of you guys are still interested.

• 3 years later...

This week end I decided to celebrate my 78th birthday with a special bodyweight workout consisting of full range squats, full range push ups, hanging knee raises and full range chin ups (chin over the bar).  My repetitions were to total my age. 

squats-30

push up- 30

hanging knee raises-10

chin ups-8

next did "one to grow on" consisting of a chin up with 35 lb kettle bell strapped around my waist.

This type of birthday workout is sure going to be challenging as I approach 100.

• 5 months later...
On 2/4/2015 at 8:34 PM, TAYLORKEETON said:

Was just wondering, how many of my fellow family members on this site workout & train on a regular basis? Would love to share workouts & workout ideas.

Six years late to this thread but I powerlift.  I started my freshmen year at Auburn actually in 2009.  One of my fraternity brothers was a linebacker at Auburn so he trained me and then I moved on to powerlifting.  I don't compete, more so for fun.  Two of my friends are big time lifters who are paid to compete.

On 3/10/2021 at 8:32 AM, abw0004 said:

Six years late to this thread but I powerlift.  I started my freshmen year at Auburn actually in 2009.  One of my fraternity brothers was a linebacker at Auburn so he trained me and then I moved on to powerlifting.  I don't compete, more so for fun.  Two of my friends are big time lifters who are paid to compete.

What federation and class? I'm doing a USPA one this fall. First time in the open class. Was a junior last time I competed. 

Just now, TAYLORKEETON said:

What federation and class? I'm doing a USPA one this fall. First time in the open class. Was a junior last time I competed. 

Better late than never too! haha

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Both of them are USAPL, one is tested and one non-tested.  There is more money in non-tested unfortunately.  I prefer powerlifting because I think their form and the definition of a rep is the correct way.  Football training programs have some of the worst form I have ever seen.

Archived