Missed Needs?

bootskii

First of all I have to say amazing job by the coaches today getting these guys. It all starts with Gus and he did a terrific job getting Muschamp and T-Robb back on the plains. Without them I don't think a lot of today would have happened. Now don't get me wrong I am amazed at our recruiting class , especially the defensive side of the ball, but do you think we missed out on any positions of need? I would have liked to see at least another DT signed but that is just me.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all I have to say amazing job by the coaches today getting these guys. It all starts with Gus and he did a terrific job getting Muschamp and T-Robb back on the plains. Without them I don't think a lot of today would have happened. Now don't get me wrong I am amazed at our recruiting class , especially the defensive side of the ball, but do you think we missed out on any positions of need? I would have liked to see at least another DT signed but that is just me.

I would second all points, and agree that i was hoping for a highly ranked DT after getting big and early interest from the all the top guys at that position. Word is 2016 is the year though.

Interested to see who the staff goes after at all positions for next year.

No, we didn't miss any needs. The primary needs coming into the day were DE, LB, CB, and WR, all of which were addressed nicely. It would have been a luxury to get a good enough prospect at DT to justify giving up one of the final potential slots, but next year's crop is too good to waste a scholarship on a space filler. Elijah Daniel and Monty Adams will be quite the formidable force starting inside, plus Lawrence, Russell, Swain, and Johnson.

The DT class of Swain and J. Johnson isn't chopped liver. I don't see a huge miss at any position. CeCe Jefferson would have been a nice DE/DT addition but you can't get 'em all.

I'd say LT. From the limited amount I've seen and what I've read, Bailey Sharp is a very good prospect but may not be a "franchise" LT type of guy. We landed a future Center in Kim. We have two (maybe three depending on where Horton plays) top-shelf Guard prospects in Carr and Harrell. Seems like the only missing piece was a star LT, but that's picking nits.

Great finish by AU. I think we did great on OL, RB, WR, LB, DB and hopefully P. We got the number one player in the country, a position of great need too. I would have really liked to have pulled one of the 3 Big DT's, either Thompson, Mack, or Payne. I know 2016 is a great year for inside DL guys recruiting, tons of talent and we are looking good on several of these kids. I definitely want the Rochester kid from Atlanta.

You always want more, but this class filled our needs well.

wde

Agree...don't think we missed on anyone who might be considered a "must have" where we were considered to be in the race.

We better hit on that punter....

We also better hit on the DE, RB, Ol and in particular, the DB signees. If not, the staff messed up by offering them scholarships!

Agree, we really needed a top rated DT in this class, which we didn't get. Last year we all said that this would be the year we would get some great DTs. Now this year we are saying next year is the year they will all sign with us....hmmm.... Other than that, we did great!

You know it is good times when this is a legitimate debate. There may have been a better group of recruits coming in one year but I don't think there have been too many in the past 125 years. Will be interesting to see what their record is four years later. I expect at least one SEC and natty during their time. WDE!

I like our LB signees, but should we have signed more since we are switching to a 3-4? Depth was already a concern when we were running with only 2 and now we will have 4?

I like our LB signees, but should we have signed more since we are switching to a 3-4? Depth was already a concern when we were running with only 2 and now we will have 4?

Where are you getting these numbers? We have 2 senior LB's starting in 2015. Last year, we signed a 5* middle linebacker and this year we signed what another 4 4* LBs? I don't see this as a miss.

No, we didn't miss any needs. The primary needs coming into the day were DE, LB, CB, and WR, all of which were addressed nicely. It would have been a luxury to get a good enough prospect at DT to justify giving up one of the final potential slots, but next year's crop is too good to waste a scholarship on a space filler. Elijah Daniel and Monty Adams will be quite the formidable force starting inside, plus Lawrence, Russell, Swain, and Johnson.

Missed on a LT and a elite DL. Both of which AU will get in 2016. But AU wanted to sign at least one in 2015. Not a huge deal but still misses.

Where are you getting these numbers? We have 2 senior LB's starting in 2015. Last year, we signed a 5* middle linebacker and this year we signed what another 4 4* LBs? I don't see this as a miss.

I tried my best to ask that question in a way that wouldnt solicit an overreaction response...guess I failed. I was just asking the question based on how we have struggled to put quality LB's on the field lately and now that we will be running a D that requires 4 on the field instead of 2, I thought maybe we would need as much depth as possible. Didnt say it was a miss, didnt imply the sky was falling, just asking a question.

We're switching to a 4-3, but your point is valid. We signed five guys that can play LB: Atkinson, Colbert, Holland, McBryde and Williams. That's a pretty good group to start with. It won't be long before somebody will come on here and say some or most of the above were recruited to play safety. But we also signed Irvin and I've seen at least one of the CB signees mentioned as a safety. So unless someone thinks we signed four or five safety prospects, most of the above will play linebacker. It's a solid group.

We better hit on that punter....

We also better hit on the DE, RB, Ol and in particular, the DB signees. If not, the staff messed up by offering them scholarships!

AU did hit on the ones you mentioned besides an true LT. Moose is VERY VERY happy with the DB class. The C. Davis kid is going to be special. Come on with concerns about the RB's. Signed to ELITE kids. KJ is a 5* talent.

We're switching to a 4-3, but your point is valid. We signed five guys that can play LB: Atkinson, Colbert, Holland, McBryde and Williams. That's a pretty good group to start with. It won't be long before somebody will come on here and say some or most of the above were recruited to play safety. But we also signed Irvin and I've seen at least one of the CB signees mentioned as a safety. So unless someone thinks we signed four or five safety prospects, most of the above will play linebacker. It's a solid group.

Thanks Mikey, I thought CWM ran a 3-4 so my bad on that. I just thought maybe with the struggles we have had we would have signed more but Im cool with what we got.

Archived