Starting DBs for Next Year?

AUClassof19

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matthews, Ford, Jones seem obvious unless they move Ford back to the other side of the ball.

Then you just have to figure out that last spot and who knows who that could be. It's mostly only sophomores and freshmen left.

CB Jonathan Jones,TJ Davis

FS Trey Matthews,Tim Irving

SS Derrick Moncrief,Jordan Colbert

CB Josh Hosley,Kelverez Bessent or Kamyrn Melton

NB Nick Ruffin,Stephen Roberts

I think Ford after horrible year in my opinion (he faded after strong start) moves back to offense.Im glad no more Jonathan Mincy

There will most likely be some "moving around-mixing and matching" taking place in the Spring. I can guarantee Will WILL be on top of this!!

CB Jonathan Jones, Nick Ruffin or Stephen Roberts

FS Trey Matthews, Johnathan Ford

SS Derrick Moncrief, Jordan Colbert

CB Carlton Davis, TJ Davis

NB Joshua Holsey, Tim Irvin

I think Ford stays put. His year was not any worse than the other DB's

I would not be surprised at all if Ford wins one of the safety starting spots. He has the size, speed and another year of experience under his belt.

CB Jonathan Jones

FS Trey Matthews, Johnathan Ford

SS Johnathan Ford, Trey Matthews

CB Joshua Holsey

NB Nick Ruffin

Ford and Mincy was the main issue in the secondary both always out of postion.Mincy was horrible at jamming a reciever would get torched then Ford would be in lala land and wide open touchdown. If passed on Jones,Whitehead (Holsey when Whitehead suspended )their was a crapload of INTs. Teams picked on Ford and Mincy at will in 2nd half of season.

Lol. Ok. Jones actually had problems in coverage. Like I said they all could get better but Ford wasn't horrible like you say

Lol. Ok. Jones actually had problems in coverage. Like I said they all could get better but Ford wasn't horrible like you say

Agreed, especially earlier on in the year. Later on he actually improved in coverage. I still think Ford has an opportunity to start but I truly believe Matthews will start at one of the spots. And if Colbert can pick up the schemes he has an opportunity to play early. Big kid.

The DB scheme was horrible. I believe we don't know much about the DBs we have on the roster because of that scheme. Like Cole is stating Ford was not as bad as some want him to be. He played more snaps than anyone in the secondary.

Nobody played perfect. Everyone got beat at times. Such is the nature with today's offenses. But Ford's speed back there is invaluable IMO. He has great closing speed and I don't think there are many who can outrun him.

I reserve judgement on all of the secondary players. A lot of our problems last year had to do with guys being unsure on what they were suppose to be doing. I mean in the 8th game of the season we had a DC saying, for the 100th time, there was a communication problem. I guarantee you, with Boom the players will have no misunderstanding on what they are suppose to do.

There will most likely be some "moving around-mixing and matching" taking place in the Spring. I can guarantee Will WILL be on top of this!!

^^This. He'll get the best players into the best positions for them to succeed on the field!

CB Jonathan Jones,TJ Davis

FS Trey Matthews,Tim Irving

SS Derrick Moncrief,Jordan Colbert

CB Josh Hosley,Kelverez Bessent or Kamyrn Melton

NB Nick Ruffin,Stephen Roberts

I think Ford after horrible year in my opinion (he faded after strong start) moves back to offense.Im glad no more Jonathan Mincy

Ford was so horrible on defense that he led the entire team in tackles? Seems legit... Ford hasnt been on offense in a while. We dont want to waste him like we did Tristen Davis. Davis flipped flopped between positions for his entire career, and was never able to truly excel.

Ford led the team in tackles, he is only getting better.

Back on topic, I think:

S Matthews

S Ford

CB Jones

CB Hosley

Why not move Ford back to RB? He can play that Onterio role that Malzahn seems to favor so much (of course you could use more slot sweeps like last year, but since Ricardo didn't do much in the way of receiving, he was probably more energized for the speed back role, you give him a break with Ford)

There is almost zero chance Ford moves to offense unless it's moonlighting for a handful of carries. It is very, very likely that he's going to start opposite Matthews. If you're really expecting otherwise, you should prepare to be disappointed.

Jones and Matthews are all but locks to start. From everything I've heard, Roberts, Bessent, and Ruffin are all working at CB in the spring so it's possible that's your other starter. Holsey hasn't played CB in years. He's a nickel or a Safety. Ford is a much better player, both in coverage and in run support, than Moncrief, but I suspect Derrick is going to factor into the Safety rotation.

Basically I expect Holsey and Irvin to fill a very similar role. Ford and Moncrief to jockey for the starting spot opposite Matthews, and it'll be a free-for-all at the CB spot opposite Jones.

I have to agree about Jones and Matthews. With Matthews experience starting at UGA, and now having CWM, I expect Matthews will be a big time play maker on D. I think there will be a lot of improvement at the DB position this year. There is talent there, no doubt. It will be fun as they battle for positions and to see how/if CWM mixes anything up.

Whole lot of folks disagree with you. All-SEC for the ap and the coaches. You're a very vocal minority on this one.

Looking forward to seeing Trey Matthews play. All indications are that he has NFL type talent.

I know we ended up with him under strange circumstances but I'm glad we did. I really think he contributes in a big way this coming season.

Whole lot of folks disagree with you. All-SEC for the ap and the coaches. You're a very vocal minority on this one.

Yeah I just watch the games. He has good ball skills when in position but his coverage leaves alot to be desired. Also watched one particular game with a group of friends one who was one of the better corners we've ever had and he pretty much had the same critiques as me. Most people look at int's and equates that with how good a corner is....if he was as good as you were making him out to be he could lock down a side of a field and they would clearly keep him as a match up with the elite wr's

Archived