Starting DBs for Next Year?

AUClassof19

This year I think we will find out how much the communication issues was the coaches and how much was the players. I think we will be pleasantly surprised with how good some of last years players will turn out to be. Add a pass rush with 4 guys and then add in some great new talent and we will be very solid at DB. Lack of a pass rush always makes DB's look bad.

So much on D is interrelated that sometimes one position looks bad because of somebody at another position. LB not in flat or dropping to an under position in the middle of the field puts a DB in a bad position as now he has to do his job plus cover another area also. Playing tight man for man in a blitzing situation and Blitz doesn't get there so you have to cover for a much longer time then expected. Any receiver worth his salt will get open eventually.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CB Jonathan Jones,TJ Davis

FS Trey Matthews,Tim Irving

SS Derrick Moncrief,Jordan Colbert

CB Josh Hosley,Kelverez Bessent or Kamyrn Melton

NB Nick Ruffin,Stephen Roberts

I think Ford after horrible year in my opinion (he faded after strong start) moves back to offense.Im glad no more Jonathan Mincy

Ford was so horrible on defense that he led the entire team in tackles? Seems legit... Ford hasnt been on offense in a while. We dont want to waste him like we did Tristen Davis. Davis flipped flopped between positions for his entire career, and was never able to truly excel.

Ford led the team in tackles, he is only getting better.

Back on topic, I think:

S Matthews

S Ford

CB Jones

CB Hosley

For starters I think is is pretty close. I could see Ford, Bessent and/or Roberts working in the rotation as well.

1st Team

CB - Jonathon Jones

CB - Nick Ruffin

S - Tray Matthews

S - Derrick Moncrief

Nickel - Stephen Roberts

2nd Team

CB - Joshua Holsey

CB - Kavarrez Bessent

S - Jonathan Ford

S - Jordan Colbert

Nickel - Tim Irvin

Whole lot of folks disagree with you. All-SEC for the ap and the coaches. You're a very vocal minority on this one.

Yeah I just watch the games. He has good ball skills when in position but his coverage leaves alot to be desired. Also watched one particular game with a group of friends one who was one of the better corners we've ever had and he pretty much had the same critiques as me. Most people look at int's and equates that with how good a corner is....if he was as good as you were making him out to be he could lock down a side of a field and they would clearly keep him as a match up with the elite wr's

Jonathan Jones is a playmaker. Whether you want to look at interceptions as part of what makes a good corner is opinionated. The guy is a straight up ball hawk. He came through when we needed a play on defense in many key situations last year. He was second team All-SEC last year. If you did watch him, you would notice almost everytime he was able to actually turn around and make a play on the ball as opposed to the majority of corners who never get their head turned around. I also remember him getting absolutely screwed on multiple passing interference calls.

I think:

S- Ford/Matthews

CB- Jones for sure

The other CB position is up for grabs

I like this as well. I think the real question we need to be asking is who will come in and earn significant time in the rotation (at all three positions: CB, S, Nickel).

1st Team | 2nd Team

CB - Jonathon Jones | Kavarrez Bessent

CB - Nick Ruffin | Carlton Davis

S - Tray Matthews | Stephen Roberts or Jordan Colbert

S - Jonathan Ford | Derrick Moncrief

Nickel - Joshua Holsey | Tim Irvin

Whole lot of folks disagree with you. All-SEC for the ap and the coaches. You're a very vocal minority on this one.

Yeah I just watch the games. He has good ball skills when in position but his coverage leaves alot to be desired. Also watched one particular game with a group of friends one who was one of the better corners we've ever had and he pretty much had the same critiques as me. Most people look at int's and equates that with how good a corner is....if he was as good as you were making him out to be he could lock down a side of a field and they would clearly keep him as a match up with the elite wr's

Jonathan Jones is a playmaker. Whether you want to look at interceptions as part of what makes a good corner is opinionated. The guy is a straight up ball hawk. He came through when we needed a play on defense in many key situations last year. He was second team All-SEC last year. If you did watch him, you would notice almost everytime he was able to actually turn around and make a play on the ball as opposed to the majority of corners who never get their head turned around. I also remember him getting absolutely screwed on multiple passing interference calls.

Lol. Yeah I said he has good ball skills, but his coverage wasn't that good......sorry. Most of his picks came in redzone or short downs which agree great I won't take that away from him but when he had to cover the entire field he was beat alot. He gets turned around easy and from what I could tell would wait to late to open up alot. Once again if he was as good as you made him out to be some games a wr should disappear. There would be some games where the game plan would be to avoid him. He's not a top 3 corner in the SEC. Actually how many plays did you even seen him defend? It was either int or td. If he's in position he's pretty good. Always being in position is different. Lastly I'm going to listen to a corner that plays in the nfl b4 most every single time

Lol. Yeah I said he has good ball skills, but his coverage wasn't that good......sorry. Most of his picks came in redzone or short downs which agree great I won't take that away from him but when he had to cover the entire field he was beat alot. He gets turned around easy and from what I could tell would wait to late to open up alot. Once again if he was as good as you made him out to be some games a wr should disappear. There would be some games where the game plan would be to avoid him. He's not a top 3 corner in the SEC. Actually how many plays did you even seen him defend? It was either int or td. If he's in position he's pretty good. Always being in position is different. Lastly I'm going to listen to a corner that plays in the nfl b4 most every single time

We agree to disagree. I respect your opinion. I would like to say that he did cover the number one wide receivers on many occasions over mincy. You said, "Once again if he was as good as you made him out to be some games a wr should disappear," this isn't always true. A quarterback is going to throw to his go-to guy regardless of the coverage. He may not be top 3, but he is a solid corner for Auburn. I would put him in the top 6 range from what I saw in the SEC. He's a physical corner which is a breath of fresh air.

Edit: When having to cover the entire field the secondary isn't always to blame. The concern here would be our inability to pass rush on most occasions.

I understand pass rush helps but there were quite a few td's given up where the qb didn't have all day. And yes I have to disagree with the qb is going to throw to a guy regardless. Most times a good cover corner won't have that many attempts thrown his way over a season. But yes I know I'm in the minority because it's not praising one of our players but I respect yours and others opinions as well. Just disagree on this one

This will be unpopular, but most of the blown Coverages were set up by RT. He tried to be aggressive rather than disciplined. He placed stress on others by being out of position. A lot of the time it looked like others were blown away due to RT not playing his assignment.

I wouldn't base any of the defensive players' production off of EJ's scheme. Irvin there for the spring is huge. And I think all the CB's will get a chance when they step on campus. Obviously Jones is the #1 guy, but Carlton Davis is a name to watch to get really early playing time. He will do really well under TRob and Muschamp coaching. Tray Matthews will be the best player in the secondary.

This will be unpopular, but most of the blown Coverages were set up by RT. He tried to be aggressive rather than disciplined. He placed stress on others by being out of position. A lot of the time it looked like others were blown away due to RT not playing his assignment.

And once Spurrier exploited that, that's when the problems truly began in the secondary the rest of the season.

As far as Ford goes, you could count on him showing up to the ball carrier and laying the wood. There were times i thought to myself that Ford was all over the field.

Don't see why everyone pencils Moncrief in as a starter but moves ford out. They could all get better for sure but I didn't see speed or the head hunter mentality I expected from Moncrief. Ford is willing to throw it all out there and he is a good bit smaller than Moncrief. Ford had a much better season than people realize, but like I said he can definitely improve a good bit as can the entire D

RT?

RT?

Therezie

I wouldn't base any of the defensive players' production off of EJ's scheme. Irvin there for the spring is huge. And I think all the CB's will get a chance when they step on campus. Obviously Jones is the #1 guy, but Carlton Davis is a name to watch to get really early playing time. He will do really well under TRob and Muschamp coaching. Tray Matthews will be the best player in the secondary.

This^^

Don't see why everyone pencils Moncrief in as a starter but moves ford out. They could all get better for sure but I didn't see speed or the head hunter mentality I expected from Moncrief. Ford is willing to throw it all out there and he is a good bit smaller than Moncrief. Ford had a much better season than people realize, but like I said he can definitely improve a good bit as can the entire D

I agree. Lots of praise on here for Moncrief even though he didn't live up to expectations. It seemed like Ford played to the expectations that were set for DM.

"Which of our DBs are going to be great next year with Muschamp as DC?"

#1 I think you're video makes a good point.

#2 that movie is AUSOME!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. Lots of praise on here for Moncrief even though he didn't live up to expectations. It seemed like Ford played to the expectations that were set for DM.

He probably would have excelled in a more traditional defense which he has now. Remember he was the #1 JUCO safety when he came here.

Ford was better in coverage and run support. The defensive system didn't have anything to do with that.

Archived