3. Lester Cotton - Bama

4. Prince Tega Wahogho Jr. - Auburn

5. Desherrius Flowers - Bama

6. Anfernee Jennings - Bama

7. Darrell Williams - Auburn

8. Richard McBryde - Auburn

9.Tyler Carr - Auburn

10. Brandon Kennedy - Bama

So it was reasonably split with a slight edge to Bama by that metric. Personally though, I think Kerryon and Tega will be the best of this crop at the end of the day. We should be happy with our in state class this year.

Per composite

1. Daron Payne - Bama

2. Kerryon Johnson - Auburn

3. Lester Cotton - Bama

9.Tyler Carr - Auburn

So it was reasonably split with a slight edge to Bama by that metric. Personally though, I think Kerryon and Tega will be the best of this crop at the end of the day. We should be happy with our in state class this year.

Agree, plus we have the Alabama Player of the year in KJ, and last years in Roc, and 2 years ago in JJ. We are holding our own very well.

I read one recruiting poll that said Auburn won the battle in this state, Also, on the same poll, it said Southern Cal ends UAT's mark of having the #1 recruiting class.

The Top 3 were these.

1 USC

2 UAT

3 Auburn

I hate to use the words "can't miss" but Kerryon Johnson looks like the best athlete coming out of high school in a long time. I think he could play RB, Safety, and some type receiver plus kick off returns. Not sure but could probably play some corner if needed. The guy is a pure athlete

I hate to use the words "can't miss" but Kerryon Johnson looks like the best athlete coming out of high school in a long time. I think he could play RB, Safety, and some type receiver plus kick off returns. Not sure but could probably play some corner if needed. The guy is a pure athlete

True.

Great kid also was a joy to be able to watch Kerryon play at Madison Academy. We are developing a nice little pipeline at Madison Academy look out for Malik Miller next year.

JJ was MR Football and yet not the #1 player either..... :dunno:

Clint Mosley was Mr Football smh

Exactly. "Mr. Football" doesn't mean that you are the best player (or best prospect) in the state. Like the Heisman, the award is almost always going to go to a QB or RB because of bias towards statistics. The last time a defensive player won the award was in 1998 (DeMarco McNeal). In fact, since 1982 McNeal is the ONLY defensive player to win the award. It is a fluff award, pure and simple. The winners from 2008 to 2010 were Clint Moseley, Coty Blanchard, and Jamal Golden. None of those guys were even close to being "the best player" in the state.

Kerryon is definitely the best player in the state. Not just because he is Mr. Football or is a future Tiger, but he really is the best athlete in the state. We got a gem. McBryde is also very underrated. It's nice to see us competing in state well against Bama. There's not many coaches that could go head to head against Saban in recruiting and win, especially in state. Gus has done a fantastic job.

Per composite

1. Daron Payne - Bama

3. Lester Cotton - Bama

9.Tyler Carr - Auburn

I believe Johnson should have been the #1 ranked player in the state simply because he was. Is anyone suprised that Prince was at #4. I mean wasn't it his first year to ever play football or am I mistaken. If it was and he was ahead of players like our Williams and McBryde good Lord watch out for this one.

Per composite

1. Daron Payne - Bama

3. Lester Cotton - Bama

9.Tyler Carr - Auburn

I believe Johnson should have been the #1 ranked player in the state simply because he was. Is anyone suprised that Prince was at #4. I mean wasn't it his first year to ever play football or am I mistaken. If it was and he was ahead of players like our Williams and McBryde good Lord watch out for this one.

This^^. As long as bama is relevant, the media will make sure they have the so called number 1 player going to the turds.

Clint Mosley was Mr Football smh

Exactly. "Mr. Football" doesn't mean that you are the best player (or best prospect) in the state. Like the Heisman, the award is almost always going to go to a QB or RB because of bias towards statistics. The last time a defensive player won the award was in 1998 (DeMarco McNeal). In fact, since 1982 McNeal is the ONLY defensive player to win the award. It is a fluff award, pure and simple. The winners from 2008 to 2010 were Clint Moseley, Coty Blanchard, and Jamal Golden. None of those guys were even close to being "the best player" in the state.

Hopefully we are about to see JJ and KJ show that they got it right.

Archived