Strategic Patience

Proud Tiger

Regardless of these various estimates for ISIS/ISIL, and considering ALL terrorist groups:

1. Are they growing?

2. Do they control more territory than six months ago?

3. Are they a more serious threat today than six months ago?

4. Should we be doing anything more than the current drone/airstrikes?

We should not be doing more. The smartest thing we have done in quite a while was getting Bahrain, Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE involved in strikes against them. Waging Jihad against the West for the Islamic State becomes less effective motivation when it is not foreigners from across the sea that they will be fighting. The long-term solution to ISIS (and widespread terrorism in general), has more to do with the actions of those nations than it does with anything we could accomplish militarily.

45018-Billy-Dee-Williams-clapping-gi-87wh.gif

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stry.....I don't agree but I respect your opinion and a straight answer. I have no credentials to know but I choose to rely on the retired experts who bring hundreds of years of combined experience to the table.

In that case, what should we be doing? Why should we be doing it? How is more action on our part at present more likely to produce something other than an environment ripe for the rise of ISIS 2.0 when we inevitably leave?

Stry.....I don't agree but I respect your opinion and a straight answer. I have no credentials to know but I choose to rely on the retired experts who bring hundreds of years of combined experience to the table.

And a paycheck from the defense industry for whom they are shilling. ;)

AUUSN....the map is just of Syria. What about the rest of the world for all Islamic terrorists. And I would note....they don't have to control territory to terrorize it. They killed over 3000 on 9/11 and controlled very little except a few apartments and airplanes.

AUUSN....the map is just of Syria. What about the rest of the world for all Islamic terrorists. And I would note....they don't have to control territory to terrorize it. They killed over 3000 on 9/11 and controlled very little except a few apartments and airplanes.

I'm currently discussing Da'esh. Good grief, do some homework for yourself. You do know your browser can visit more sites than just Fox News? Here, I'll throw you a bone: http://www.nctc.gov/site/map/

How to Win Covert Wars:

In light of plummeting security around the globe today, the United States would be prudent to take an inventory of its instruments of statecraft. The foundation for effective statecraft and strategy is to have the means to achieve political ends. The potential political ends in this deteriorating world are far outpacing American military capabilities. Our defense budgets, talented military personnel and hardware are suffering from stresses and strains, and are worn out after more than a decade of battles from Afghanistan to Iraq and elsewhere in the world.

To make American ends and means match, we will have to be smarter at using instruments other than military power. These instruments include diplomacy, intelligence and covert action. We often think of drone strikes and direct-action attacks by Special Operations Forces such as Delta and SEAL teams when talking about covert action these days as a legacy of the type of operations we have been conducting against the likes of Al Qaeda and the Taliban. But covert action should be understood in a broader sense of statecraft. It is the support or operations to influence global situations to the advantage of American national interests that require the hiding of the American role to minimize risks and investments, while maximizing the chances for success.

The American covert action to support the Afghanistan mujahedin against Soviet military forces during the Cold War was an exemplar of covert actions. The program inflicted substantial costs on the Soviet Union, forced Moscow to withdraw its forces from Afghanistan and achieved a major American security interest: to prevent Soviet forces from using Afghanistan as a launching point to capture more strategically valuable real estate in the Middle East and the Persian Gulf. The covert-action program, moreover, accomplished all this with minimal risk and costs to the United States. Many commentators, especially those on the political right, stretch the point a bit too far by arguing that the Afghanistan covert-action program “won the Cold War.” They wrongfully dismiss the importance of sustained, decades-long, old-fashioned bipartisan consensus for the importance of politically, economically and militarily containing the Soviet Union to allow its own internal weaknesses to bring it down, just as realist and grand strategist George F. Kennan had argued in the late 1940s.

With the benefit of time, reflection and publicly available information, a look back to assess the Cold War covert-action program in Afghanistan would be a valuable stock taking of the American inventory of statecraft instruments. Bruce Riedel, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and an accomplished scholar and practitioner, has done just that in his new book What We Won: America’s Secret War in Afghanistan, 1979-89.

The United States needs allies and security partners in the world, even if they are unsavory players. Riedel’s important book focuses on the United States’ critical relationships with Pakistan and Saudi Arabia in orchestrating the supply of arms and money to the Afghan insurgency via Pakistan. Riedel’s extensive experience as an intelligence officer and senior Department of Defense and National Security Council official gives this book unique insight into the demands and intricacies of policy making. http://nationalinterest.org/feature/how-win-covert-wars-12208

AUUSN....sorry I missed that you were only addressing Syria but can you make a response w/o being a sarcastic butt?

Here is an excerpt of Gen. Flynn's interview with Chis Wallace showing the bigger picture/map of the terrorist problem. The JV team as expanded it's recruiting territory.

http://video.lauraingraham.com/Obamas-Fmr-DIA-Chief-US-Terrorism-Strategy-Clearly-Not-Working-VIDEO-28521158

ISIS Barbarians Face Their Own Internal Reign of Terror

The internal bloodletting among ISIS factions has begun, and could get much worse.

The propagandists of the putative Islamic State would have you believe it is just one big happy family, righteously slaughtering apostates, enslaving women (literally), beheading and burning alive its prisoners, all in the name of God. But quarrels over a range of issues—from divvying up of the spoils of war to competition over women and, yes, the handling of foreign hostages—point to a lot of trouble beneath the surface of this terror army. http://www.thedailyb...-of-terror.html

But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,JT said they are "sophisticated", "highly coordinated"?

LOL! Good point.

Actually, the author of the original article posted by AUUSN said it. I just repeated it. Got a beef? Take it up with the author... I guess you two Momma's boys think you know more than that guy too, right?

The internal bloodletting among ISIS factions has begun, and could get much worse.

The propagandists of the putative Islamic State would have you believe it is just one big happy family, righteously slaughtering apostates, enslaving women (literally), beheading and burning alive its prisoners, all in the name of God. But quarrels over a range of issues—from divvying up of the spoils of war to competition over women and, yes, the handling of foreign hostages—point to a lot of trouble beneath the surface of this terror army. http://www.thedailyb...-of-terror.html

But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,JT said they are "sophisticated", "highly coordinated"?

LOL! Good point.

Actually, the author of the original article posted by AUUSN said it. I just repeated it. Got a beef? Take it up with the author... I guess you two Momma's boys think you know more than that guy too, right?

Are you angry? Momma's boys? That's it? Who is not being a big boy?

Just surprised how you and your buddy can be so ignorant on a topic; and still try to pretend you have any idea what you're talking about. You are also both adept at not facing up to questions/statements that expose your ignorance...like above....by trying to deflect to something else. Look, I'm sure there are topic you guys know a lot about; this just happens to not be one of them. So why wouldn't you be mature enough to admit it; or just not way-in? When I am either disinterested or ignorant on a topic; I just don't comment...you guys double down on snark. So, yeah, Momma's boys seems appropriate.

Just surprised how you and your buddy can be so ignorant on a topic; and still try to pretend you have any idea what you're talking about. You are also both adept at not facing up to questions/statements that expose your ignorance...like above....by trying to deflect to something else. Look, I'm sure there are topic you guys know a lot about; this just happens to not be one of them. So why wouldn't you be mature enough to admit it; or just not way-in? When I am either disinterested or ignorant on a topic; I just don't comment...you guys double down on snark. So, yeah, Momma's boys seems appropriate.

While Homer is arguably susceptible to that remark, I've seen no obvious response in any thread where ICHY was. Snark is not is his MO.

Fox news is just unbeatable!

How do they stay so awesome, and unbiased?????

Being the Best helps...

It was actually a very good article and explained perfectly the meaning behind strategic patience. Those with an agenda fail to comprehend it.

I think those with a brain see right through it...

Please keep the intelligence remarks out of it (not just directed at you, WT). Irritating. AU men and women are smart people. We may not agree on everything, but we're pretty smart.

"If one continually diminishes another persons intellect, it is likely a statement of their own intellect or lack thereof." Word.

Being the Best helps...

It was actually a very good article and explained perfectly the meaning behind strategic patience. Those with an agenda fail to comprehend it.

Please keep the intelligence remarks out of it (not just directed at you, WT). Irritating. AU men and women are smart people. We may not agree on everything, but we're pretty smart.

"If one continually diminishes another persons intellect, it is likely a statement of their own intellect or lack thereof." Word.

I will not diminish the accuracy of that quote, as I find it accurate myself. However, where do you think the posters on this forum stand in relation to it?

How to Win Covert Wars:

In light of plummeting security around the globe today, the United States would be prudent to take an inventory of its instruments of statecraft. The foundation for effective statecraft and strategy is to have the means to achieve political ends. The potential political ends in this deteriorating world are far outpacing American military capabilities. Our defense budgets, talented military personnel and hardware are suffering from stresses and strains, and are worn out after more than a decade of battles from Afghanistan to Iraq and elsewhere in the world.

To make American ends and means match, we will have to be smarter at using instruments other than military power. These instruments include diplomacy, intelligence and covert action. We often think of drone strikes and direct-action attacks by Special Operations Forces such as Delta and SEAL teams when talking about covert action these days as a legacy of the type of operations we have been conducting against the likes of Al Qaeda and the Taliban. But covert action should be understood in a broader sense of statecraft. It is the support or operations to influence global situations to the advantage of American national interests that require the hiding of the American role to minimize risks and investments, while maximizing the chances for success.

The American covert action to support the Afghanistan mujahedin against Soviet military forces during the Cold War was an exemplar of covert actions. The program inflicted substantial costs on the Soviet Union, forced Moscow to withdraw its forces from Afghanistan and achieved a major American security interest: to prevent Soviet forces from using Afghanistan as a launching point to capture more strategically valuable real estate in the Middle East and the Persian Gulf. The covert-action program, moreover, accomplished all this with minimal risk and costs to the United States. Many commentators, especially those on the political right, stretch the point a bit too far by arguing that the Afghanistan covert-action program “won the Cold War.” They wrongfully dismiss the importance of sustained, decades-long, old-fashioned bipartisan consensus for the importance of politically, economically and militarily containing the Soviet Union to allow its own internal weaknesses to bring it down, just as realist and grand strategist George F. Kennan had argued in the late 1940s.

With the benefit of time, reflection and publicly available information, a look back to assess the Cold War covert-action program in Afghanistan would be a valuable stock taking of the American inventory of statecraft instruments. Bruce Riedel, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and an accomplished scholar and practitioner, has done just that in his new book What We Won: America’s Secret War in Afghanistan, 1979-89.

The United States needs allies and security partners in the world, even if they are unsavory players. Riedel’s important book focuses on the United States’ critical relationships with Pakistan and Saudi Arabia in orchestrating the supply of arms and money to the Afghan insurgency via Pakistan. Riedel’s extensive experience as an intelligence officer and senior Department of Defense and National Security Council official gives this book unique insight into the demands and intricacies of policy making. http://nationalinter...vert-wars-12208

Good stuff.

It's completely baffling to me why so many self-proclaimed conservatives on this forum are so hell-bent for direct involvement. It's the exact opposite of what a conservative should be recommending. But then, I am baffled by many of their other positions as well.

Thanks for posting.

LOL! Good point.

Awwwww. Did we hurt it's fweelings?

Being the Best helps...

I will not diminish the accuracy of that quote, as I find it accurate myself. However, where do you think the posters on this forum stand in relation to it?

I too find it very accurate. I don't feel it my place to assign or direct it to an individual or group. For the greater good of the forum, I just hope the guilty ponder the point.

Being the Best helps...

I too find it very accurate. I don't feel it my place to assign or direct it to an individual or group. For the greater good of the forum, I just hope the guilty ponder the point.

You could have answered my question in a PM if you liked. I was intrigued by your response to the question, and you disappointed me. I know you are not the only one annoyed by threads that continually devolve into insults of intelligence and hyperbole that leave the reader with a headache.

While Homer is arguably susceptible to that remark, I've seen no obvious response in any thread where ICHY was. Snark is not is his MO.

Hey, don't single me out. I need a wingman to protect my back from cowardly assaults.

I don't even know what Japan's so upset about. We never even reached an agreement on what defines "sophisticated". A bunch of crazy Islamists hauling ass over the desert in Tacos and assorted captured weaponry doesn't qualify IMO.

That's not to say they represent a dangerous threat to the region, but the U.S. can't protect the region, only the region can protect the region.

Hey, don't try to single me out. I need a wingman to protect my back from cowardly assaults.

I don't even know what Japan's so upset about. We never reached an agreement on what defines "sophisticated". A bunch of crazy Islamists hauling ass over the desert in Taccos and assorted captured weaponry doesn't qualify IMO.

That's not to say they represent a dangerous threat to the region, but the U.S. can't protect the region, only the region can protect the region.

I didn't mean to single you out in such a context, and I do apologize. I find both of you to be fascinating people to discuss any issue with, and I always relish the opportunity, but ICHY is indeed less jaded than you Homer. He had his alter-ego to address the rubbish with, you did it full-force, in "person" as it were.

Hey, don't try to single me out. I need a wingman to protect my back from cowardly assaults.

I don't even know what Japan's so upset about. We never reached an agreement on what defines "sophisticated". A bunch of crazy Islamists hauling ass over the desert in Taccos and assorted captured weaponry doesn't qualify IMO.

I didn't mean to single you out in such a context, and I do apologize. I find both of you to be fascinating people to discuss any issue with, and I always relish the opportunity, but ICHY is indeed less jaded than you Homer. He had his alter-ego to address the rubbish with, you did it full-force, in "person" as it were.

I need an alter-ego. Time for a sockpuppet account!

In keeping with current threads, base it on Doctor Rockso.

Not a bad idea.

tumblr_monjfjknbv1sut0nqo1_500.jpg

(Seriously, dude. A lot of cocaine.)

Not a bad idea.

tumblr_monjfjknbv1sut0nqo1_500.jpg

(Seriously, dude. A lot of cocaine.)

That singlehandedly made me want to send a friend request to cocaine.

Archived