The least-trusted name in news is …

DKW 86

Then why is the daily show on the poll hmmmm?

Instead of pushing for one political party non stop. They pull for one political party non stop, and throw in some jokes now and then.

Not neally. Stewart leans left, that much is obvious to anyone with a pulse. But he quite often goes after Dems who say and do stupid things, and even offers praise every so often to a Republican or two. I don't have to agree with the guy that often to find him humorous, and accept that he provides a valuable service.

“Which of the following television news sources do you trust the most to provide accurate information about politics and current events?”

Answer, none of the above.

Yep. Personally, I was wondering where the "various online resources" option was.

The stereotyping and jealousy of Fox is hilarious. They are STILL #1 and have been for many many many years.

I had fun with this at first... but honestly, does it mean anything?

A random poll of Americans right now would call Bieber, Miley, and drake the most talented singers/musicians ever.

Doesn't mean it's anywhere near correct.

N*Sync, backdoor boys set all types of records with their albums, doesn't correlate to actual skill though.

.... another example of how democracy is flawed.

Drake is one of the most talented musicians ever though....

So in the end after all this talking it's my favorite is the best because I say so....I don't see the point of debating this people are going to have their favorites and listen to the people that say what they want to hear

So in the end after all this talking it's my favorite is the best because I say so....I don't see the point of debating this people are going to have their favorites and listen to the people that say what they want to hear

Pretty much, same as political or theist debates. Except not as entertaining:)

Right on Tim. It's just hard for the Jonestowners to accept that. But the fact won't go away.

It's a hoot reading the usual leftist on here try to assert their superiority and non-herd mentality by all claiming they don't watch any news...or any traditional news source. All the while always siting the same sources as objective fact....my favorite are the 10,000 word opinion pieces from the Atlantic trying to pass as rigorous analysis. Sort of reminds me of the Japanese teenagers who all want to be different...together...by all dying their hair red ...and then it turns out to be this orange color that doesn't really exist in nature... It's just not quite right....

The numbers don't surprise me at all. But popularity and trust having nothing to do with the quality of information provided.

The more important metric is how informed the respective audiences are.

http://www.forbes.co...-poll-suggests/

Fox News Viewers Uninformed, NPR Listeners Not, Poll Suggests

"A poll by Farleigh Dickinson University in New Jersey showed that of all the news channels out there, Fox News viewers are the least informed.

People were asked questions about news habits and current events in a statewide poll of 600 New Jersey residents recently. Results showed that viewers of Sunday morning news shows were the most informed about current events, while Fox News viewers were the least informed. In fact, FDU poll results showed they were even less informed than those who say they don’t watch any news at all.

Readers of The New York Times, USA Today and listeners to National Public Radio were better informed about international events than other media outlets......"

homer this is a little too easy to answer. I read the accompanying articles and and AT BEST these FACTS are simply:

1) Views on Predicted outcomes that are not objectively TRUTHS or FACTS.

2) Politifact actually sides against the conclusion that they are accepted FACTS.

3) Opinions and actual TPM info is sighted as fact.

The point about Fox News customers vs NPR customers is defined in their target audiences alone.

The preponderance of Fox People are likely HS grads at best. Some college as well. That is who they target.

The preponderance of NPR People is better educated, post grad, etc. That is who they target.

To say that the audiences are different is about as revealing as saying that Rolls Royce customers are wealthier and better educated than Ford Customers. That is a fact, a really reaching fact, that is based on their customer base and whom they target with their products and nothing else.

I liked prowling around on the Alternet site and kudos to them. They have massively upgraded the site since the last time i was there in the early 2000s. I may ad them to my daily readings.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I especially like your RR:Ford analogy. (In fact I thought of the exact same metaphor myself, only my version used Mercedes. ;D )

But you have to admit, there are those on here that equate the relative popularity/high market share of Fox with inherent excellence.

I had fun with this at first... but honestly, does it mean anything?

A random poll of Americans right now would call Bieber, Miley, and drake the most talented singers/musicians ever.

Doesn't mean it's anywhere near correct.

N*Sync, backdoor boys set all types of records with their albums, doesn't correlate to actual skill though.

.... another example of how democracy is flawed.

That's elitist. ;)

Right on Tim. It's just hard for the Jonestowners to accept that. But the fact won't go away.

It's a hoot reading the usual leftist on here try to assert their superiority and non-herd mentality by all claiming they don't watch any news...or any traditional news source. All the while always siting the same sources as objective fact....my favorite are the 10,000 word opinion pieces from the Atlantic trying to pass as rigorous analysis. Sort of reminds me of the Japanese teenagers who all want to be different...together...by all dying their hair red ...and then it turns out to be this orange color that doesn't really exist in nature... It's just not quite right....

Good stuff Japan. :clap:

I think I prefer your blather to Blue's. It's more restrained which gives it more sophistication.

You must be having Scotch for breakfast... ;D

I would note that these numbers are for "most trusted." The "most watched" numbers would have Fox even further ahead.

Can you actually separate the two?

I can't speak for others, but I have no trouble separating the two.

I watch The Daily Show to laugh, but don't object if the humor also happens to heighten my political awareness (and lament the loss of The Colbert Report). On rare occasions I pause on Fox News editorialists, but for the same reason I find myself drawn to "Finding Bigfoot" or "Ancient Aliens": a morbid fascination for how many obvious self-contradictions, breakdowns in logic or scientific reasoning, or untruths defended as truth I can catch. (In all three cases, I generally get bored or frustrated and turn away if I find my blood pressure rising!)

Thus trust and viewing are definitely two different things, and neither necessarily correlates to accuracy of content. On those occasions when I pause on Fox News or Ancient Aliens, I'm adding to their viewing numbers, but certainly not because I trust them. I actually get most of my real news from the internet sites of the major networks (i.e., not minor, clearly biased, politically driven, or crackpot sites). And on a big story of major importance or personal interest, I'll look at multiple sources and compare their claims/coverage, not put my entire faith in only one. I also enjoy seeing what foreign news sources, like Reuters, Al Jazeera, or the BBC, have to say about a topic. But again, watching/reading them is not the same as trusting them, which is also not a measure of their accuracy.

quietfan......good observations but I would note that while you may be correct about trust, perception is the major actor in what people decide who they trust.

I would note that these numbers are for "most trusted." The "most watched" numbers would have Fox even further ahead.

Can you actually separate the two?

I can't speak for others, but I have no trouble separating the two.

I watch The Daily Show to laugh, but don't object if the humor also happens to heighten my political awareness (and lament the loss of The Colbert Report). On rare occasions I pause on Fox News editorialists, but for the same reason I find myself drawn to "Finding Bigfoot" or "Ancient Aliens": a morbid fascination for how many obvious self-contradictions, breakdowns in logic or scientific reasoning, or untruths defended as truth I can catch. (In all three cases, I generally get bored or frustrated and turn away if I find my blood pressure rising!)

Thus trust and viewing are definitely two different things, and neither necessarily correlates to accuracy of content. On those occasions when I pause on Fox News or Ancient Aliens, I'm adding to their viewing numbers, but certainly not because I trust them. I actually get most of my real news from the internet sites of the major networks (i.e., not minor, clearly biased, politically driven, or crackpot sites). And on a big story of major importance or personal interest, I'll look at multiple sources and compare their claims/coverage, not put my entire faith in only one. I also enjoy seeing what foreign news sources, like Reuters, Al Jazeera, or the BBC, have to say about a topic. But again, watching/reading them is not the same as trusting them, which is also not a measure of their accuracy.

Written news is inherently more valuable than spoken news IMO.

quietfan......good observations but I would note that while you may be correct about trust, perception is the major actor in what people decide who they trust.

Absolutely! Perception and preconception both heavily influence whom we trust and how we interpret reality.

Even in a court of law, while forensic evidence may be the most objective and factual evidence, jurors are often more influenced by "eye witness" testimony, even though what a witness sees or remembers is strongly filtered by that witness's mental state and preconceptions. Perception is simultaneously very compelling yet very subjective/prone to distortion.

Lol. Five pages of my news station is cooler than yours.

Truth of the matter,

I make my living off the evening news

Just give me something

Something I can use

People love it when you lose

They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor

But I wound up here

I just have to look good

I don't have to be clear

Come and whisper in my ear

Give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up

Kick 'em when they're down

Kick 'em when they're up

Kick 'em when they're up

Kick 'em when they're up

Kick 'em all around

We got the bubble headed

Bleached blonde

Comes on at five

She can tell you 'bout the plane crash

With a gleam in her eye

It's interesting when people die

Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation

Is the head dead yet

You know the boys in the newsroom

Got a running bet

Get the widow on the set

We need dirty laundry

[instrumental Interlude]

You don't really need to find out

What's going on

You don't really want to know

Just how far it's gone

Just leave well enough alone

Eat your dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up

Kick 'em when they're up

Kick 'em when they're up

Kick 'em when they're stiff

Kick 'em all around

(Kick 'em when they're up)

(Kick 'em when they're down)

(Kick 'em when they're stiff)

(Kick 'em all around)

Dirty little secrets

Dirty little lies

We got our dirty little fingers

In everybody's pie

We love to cut you down to size

We love dirty laundry

We can do the Innuendo

We can dance and sing

When it's said and done

We haven't told you a thing

We all know that Crap is King

Give us dirty laundry

Mine is Fox. Not the Oreilly and Hannity agitaters so much. Raw factual reporting. The vast majority of America agrees.

That statement is as factual as Fox.

FOX News, & not the shows. Not too hard to figure that out.

The stereotyping and jealousy of Fox is hilarious. They are STILL #1 and have been for many many many years.

A lot of this has to do with confirmation bias. FOX is simply the only televised news option that reports what the viewers already knew from reading print media reports while the MSM are more preoccupied with carrying water for this administration mostly by not even reporting what the political news actually is. They'd rather portray Tea Partiers as more dangerous fanatics to the west than ISIS and imply conservatives are neanderthals for even questioning the POTUS.

A lot of this has to do with confirmation bias. FOX is simply the only televised news option that reports what the viewers already knew from reading print media reports while the MSM are more preoccupied with carrying water for this administration mostly by not even reporting what the political news actually is. They'd rather portray Tea Partiers as more dangerous fanatics to the west than ISIS and imply conservatives are neanderthals for even questioning the POTUS.

Now that thar post reveals the whole situation in a nutshell. ;D

Written news is inherently more valuable than spoken news IMO.

Yeah, but even that has declined severely in the last 20 years. Many "respected" sources of the past seem to have lazy or non-existent editors. The race against the digital media to be the 1st rather than right or credible has hurt them.

Archived