Championships and Recruiting

StatTiger

Continuing the thought process on percentage of 3-star players and up, here is a breakdown of the nation's top-4 teams since 2005. The top-2 teams from each year (except 2014) are the teams that played in the BCSNCG. Teams 3 & 4 were the next highest ranked in the AP Poll by the end of the season. The four teams in the 2014 season were the top-4 playoff teams.

Once again, I've broken it down to two columns. The first column is the pct of 3-star players and up and the second column is the pct of 4-5 star recruits signed during the 4-year period leading up to the season. For example, Auburn's 2010 makeup would be the players signed from 2007-2010.

Champ%20Talent_zpst9zh3agk.jpg

Other than teams like TCU or Boise State, it is evidence 4-5 star talent is needed to make a serious run for a championship. I found it interesting that USC was loaded with 4-5 star talent from 2005-2008, yet failed to win a MNC.

Of the last 9 National Champions, Auburn was the only team to have less than 44% 4-5 star talent signed during the 4 recruiting classes leading up to the championship season. The data utilized in this post was obtained from the Scout database.

Thanks, Stat! How do we stack up going into next season, if I may ask?

Auburn will be 54.8% at 4 & 5 star and 97.8% with 3-stars and up. This is our most talented roster overall from 2005-2015.

Thanks, as always, Stat! Really looks like we just need everything to come together the right way. Looking forward to a great season!

I think one of the analysts (Belotti ???) on the NSD show on the U stated that the second tier players are of critical importance on most championship teams since that's where the drop off in talent is starts to occur. I think these numbers seem to support that theory since they indicate that most championship teams have better talent in the second tier than the teams that don't contend.

ND and Texas on there 4 times with Florida and Georgia 3. The three have had recent coaching changes. I wonder what Right has on the UGA admin.

I think one of the analysts (Belotti ???) on the NSD show on the U stated that the second tier players are of critical importance on most championship teams since that's where the drop off in talent is starts to occur. I think these numbers seem to support that theory since they indicate that most championship teams have better talent in the second tier than the teams that don't contend.

Bingo... Oregon is a prime example. Enough talent to compete with their starting 22 but their depth is not at the same level.

ND and Texas on there 4 times with Florida and Georgia 3. The three have had recent coaching changes. I wonder what Right has on the UGA admin.

Ha, good point! :rollin:

Archived