UCLA DC leaving for the NFL

AU64

SO....this guy is leaving for the NFL a few days after UCLA had a surprisingly good day in the recruiting wars. Does anyone not believe that this was in the works before the NLI day?....should the UCLA defensive recruits have a do-over?

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2015-02-09/ucla-loses-defensive-coordinator-jim-mora-bruins-atlanta-falcons-dan-quinn-jeff-ulbrich

PS..How does this affect recruitment of Roquan Smith ?

I think it is despicable when coaches do this. You can say all you want that recruits should commit to the school, not a coach, but relationships matter and the system a player agrees to play in depends on the coaches--not the school.

I think there should be a penalty clause to do with any coaches that leave unless fired by the HC within 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after NSD. Make it about $150,000.00 and this would do the trick.

Significantly...the Georgia staff was on it, sent the first leak to Smith's coach before he signed his letter of intent.

“It was everybody on the staff,” Macon County Athletic Director and football coach Larry Harold said Thursday. “Coach (John) Lilly was the first I heard from. We weren’t answering our phones, I wasn’t answering mine and he wasn’t answering his. All the sudden these text messages started coming in. They said, ‘RED ALERT: READ THIS.’ Somebody screen-shotted (the website) FootballScoop(.com) and it grew from there. It was crazy.”

SO....this guy is leaving for the NFL a few days after UCLA had a surprisingly good day in the recruiting wars. Does anyone not believe that this was in the works before the NLI day?....should the UCLA defensive recruits have a do-over?

http://www.sportingn...nn-jeff-ulbrich

From the article you linked: "According to Mora, Falcons head coach Dan Quinn contacted Ulbrich either Tuesday night or Wednesday morning." For those that don't know, Dan Quinn was previously the Seattle Seahawks DC. The Super Bowl was played on 1-Feb, Quinn was hired on 2-Feb & NSD was 4-Feb. So, in this instance ... no, I don't believe the UCLA LB coach had sufficient prior knowledge to alert potential recruits that he was leaving. I live in the Pacific NW and had heard rumors before the Super Bowl that Quinn was being considered for a HC job but, of course, nothing definite beyond speculation.

Archived