Alabama Mr. Football

AU Is Gold

I would say Auburn and Alabama split the talent in state this year. One thing I like to see is Auburn on equal terms with Alabama signing in state players, especially with Saban as the coach. Auburn's recent success with signing the Alabama Mr. Football award winner is a record at three in a row. I would not only like to see us take the state in recruiting this year by a large margin, but I wouldn't mind reeling in a fourth Mr. Football in a row. I know there will be times when a player wins the award who may not be a fit at Auburn, but it is still nice to see one of the top playmakers in state come to Auburn.

Here is a video on some early predictions for Mr. Football of 2015:

http://highschoolspo...15-mr-football/

The names they mention:

1. Tyrrell Pigrome QB, Clay-Chalkville

2. Tyler Johnston QB, Spanish Fort

3. Malik Miller RB, Madison Academy

4. Denzel Mitchell RB, Hamilton

5. Ben Davis OLB, Gordo

6. Lyndell Wilson OLB, Carver

7. Lamical Perine RB, Theodore

8. Ostin McPherson RB, St. Paul

Why you always want to do well in the state, I don't think it is important as it use to be. Just by the sheer volume of players in GA and FL, those states are probably more important for us to do well.

As is explained in the other state recruiting thread- 2 threads down from this one as I type this- getting Alabama's Mr. Football does not mean you are getting the state's best football player.

As is explained in the other state recruiting thread- 2 threads down from this one as I type this- getting Alabama's Mr. Football does not mean you are getting the state's best football player.

I think most people understand that. My point being, Auburn is recruiting well. Getting Jeremy Johnson, Roc Thomas, and Kerryon Johnson is huge. I understand the award basically goes to the best offensive player, mainly QB or RB (sort of like the Heisman).

Its an award. The Heisman Trophy never goes to the best player in the country.

It did in 2010

Serious question, can you give me a year that the Heisman Trophy went to someone who wasn't the best player in the country?

Serious question, can you give me a year that the Heisman Trophy went to someone who wasn't the best player in the country?

I'll give you my answers.

2009: Mark Ingram

2008: Sam Bradford

2004: Matt Leinart

2003: Jason White

2001: Eric Crouch

1997: Charles Woodson

1992: Gino Torretta

1967: Gary Beban

THIS!!

THIS!!

The Sports Information Director at most of those schools mentioned above should get an award for the "best hype performance" of the year as special recognition for PR campaign that enabled their school's player to obtain this trophy..... which generally was awarded (not won) that year.

Schools spend quite a bit of money promoting the candidacy of their Heisman prospects. Their efforts were obviously successful in swaying the outcome...otherwise, why would they bother to make the effort?

THIS!!

The Sports Information Director at most of those schools mentioned above should get an award for the "best hype performance" of the year as special recognition for PR campaign that enabled their school's player to obtain this trophy..... which generally was awarded (not won) that year.

Schools spend quite a bit of money promoting the candidacy of their Heisman prospects. Their efforts were obviously successful in swaying the outcome...otherwise, why would they bother to make the effort?

Ingram was the worst winner since Jason white. Before that Eric crouch.

That's a pretty broad and incorrect statement.

Let's not get bogged down on who did what and who did not. We have done fine over the past years with holding our own against bammer for in-state recruits. I think the big difference with us and bammer is that bammer has gone beyond the southeastern part of the country for some of their recruits.I really do not care what bammer does when it comes to recruits. We have not had that many head-to-head bouts with bammer over the past few years with regard to recruits.

Correct me if I am wrong with my assessment on this subject. I think our coaching staff has done an incredible job with getting some of the best recruits in the country. 2016 could be the year that we de-throne bammer for the top spot as the champion of recruiting.

Ben Davis ranked as 247 top prospect in state right now. Says we have a shot.

I hope we don't lose both top linebackers White and Davis to bama.

• 9 months later...

Is it just me or does anyone else find it perplexing that as per al.com that my Tigers (nor the gumps for that matter) let this one get away.

Unbeaten Spanish Fort quarterback Tyler Johnston commits to UAB

Is it just me or does anyone else find it perplexing that as per al.com that my Tigers (nor the gumps for that matter) let this one get away.

He's rated as a 2-star prospect with no offers from major schools. We can't sign 100 kids and hope 25 make it. He may turn out to be a world-beater but the odds that every major school in the area plus all the scouting services missed on him aren't good.

He's rated as a 2-star prospect with no offers from major schools. We can't sign 100 kids and hope 25 make it. He may turn out to be a world-beater but the odds that every major school in the area plus all the scouting services missed on him aren't good.

Ah for the good old days...sign everyone in sight and sort 'em out in practice...Rumors were that back in the last century, the Bear would "sign" upwards of 125 players some years and schools had upwards of 150 on their teams. NCAA gradually worked that down.

The limits were more generous and coaches could take more chances on guys like Johnston....now coaches can't afford to be wrong (very often) with their few offers.

Archived